The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna miss Nick and Homer this year -- it's gonna be especially weird (and scary) at the blue line, and with Colaiacavo already hurt, looks like it'll be even worse than expected. No more Stu. Smith might make the first defensive pair. Yay.

What gives me a glimmer of hope is some of the young guys that have played well recently, especially Nyquist and Brunner (as long as Babs uses them properly).

I've gotta say, this is the most uneasy I've been about this team heading into a season in a LONG time. Missing out on all those FA's really hurt, and I think it's a sign that this team may not be the draw it used to be. Unfortunate, because we've never really needed "quick fixes" until this off season with the good past drafts. That being said, this abbreviated season would be perfect for getting all these young guys up to speed and not too beat up. Here's to hoping.

Yeah, pretty good, but not set-the-league-on-fire good like they were last year, if there's anything fiery about dull, plodding Hitchpuck. And Elliott should regress to the mean delightfully.

When 90% of the league is mediocre to bad, being pretty good, is.... pretty good.

But is he as entertaining as Bissonnette?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I don't think it's fair to compare the two in the "NHL players on twitter" category. Paul Bissonnette doesn't really play in the NHL.

EDIT: Speaking of Luongo, this "Luongo Rule" looks like another veritable treasure trove of unintended consequences:

http://www.fearthefi...-makes-no-sense

Basically as I understand it, the difference between cap hit and salary will be assessed as dead cap space if a player retires early. The Canucks have saved about $6 million on Luongo so far, so whenever he retires, they're going to get dinged with at least $6 million in dead cap space for the balance of his contract term (2022). Of course, it looks like the NHL did the math wrong, as usual, because as you can see in that post, if he retires with one year left, it's $6 million divided by 1.

So that means the Blackhawks are going to be punished $2,625,000 for every year Marian Hossa plays through 2016, having played three of those years so far. So wherever he goes, whenever he does, we're looking at another cap penalty. The Red Wings will be punished $0 for every year of Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, because their contracts were "judged to be in the spirit of the CBA."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Red Wings will be punished $0 for every year of Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, because their contracts were "judged to be in the spirit of the CBA."

I could see something of this nature being ignorable if we're talking about 10s or 100s or maybe even in the thousands of dollars, but millions?

In a league that just locked out due primarily to cap limits is willing to sweep millions under the rug because the contract language is more appealing than others?

This IS the NHL, I suppose.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Red Wings will be punished $0 for every year of Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, because their contracts were "judged to be in the spirit of the CBA."

Not quite. Datsyuk's contract is split evenly between all seven years of his contract, therefore there is no difference between the cap hit and the actual amount he gets every year. The Wings wouldn't be penalized for this contract.

Zetterberg's contract is a bit different. He's getting $7.5M until 2016-2017 while the cap hit is $6,083,333 so the difference would become the penalty, if he were to retire early.

Basically, the "Luongo Rule" simply makes sure the front loaded contracts were not done to circumvent the cap hit.

EDIT:

Zetterberg's contract details

Datsyuk's contract details

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

I wonder if all 30 play on Saturday?

CBC could pretty much show all the Canadian teams in one day. Knowing them, they will. Except one of the Western Canadian teams will have to play an American team.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

If they're playing a strictly in-conference schedule this season, then all 30 teams playing on the 19th is impossible.

$10 says the CBJ are one of the teams that gets the first day off.

PvO6ZWJ.png

So the Cowboys tweeted a joke poking fun at the Stars(which has since been deleted and apologized for). The Stars responded with LA Kings levels of twitter sass.

tumblr_mgbdw1zsA91qe2dhgo1_500.png

tumblr_mgbdw1zsA91qe2dhgo2_500.png

Ownage! The funny thing is that the Stars have won a Cup more recently than the Boys winning a Super Bowl (and to a lesser extent, are more clutch than the Texas Rangers at closing a series).

Coincidentally, Hockey Day Minnesota is scheduled for January 19th to coincide with the (potential) NHL opener. I am hoping that the Wild get a home game on that date to close out a great day of Minnesota hockey. Although ending it with Gophers/North Dakota ain't bad either...

If they're playing a strictly in-conference schedule this season...

They are. 5 games against two division opponents (10), 4 games against the other two division opponents (8), and 3 games against the other 10 opponents in your conference (30).

Adding onto the Penguins/Flyers rumor from earlier, we're now hearing it's a home-and-home with the rematch in Pittsburgh the next night (SUN 1/20)

Archived