The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

Airbrushed goalie masks are dumb. If I gave up some really crappy goal while wearing a mask with an airbrushed drawing of a wolf wearing sunglasses breaking through a brick wall, I'd feel like such a schmuck that I would retire on the spot. It's like when we were in elementary school and the kid in the "No Fear: Rules Were Made To Be Broken" shirt is crying because someone tripped him and he fell on his face in a puddle. It's just too much embarrassment.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Leafs outpace the Capitals in a game I was sure they would blow. A win's a win though, and the Leafs need all the points they can get.

Also Scrivens' goalie mask design is pure class.

The Caps have been absolutely atrocious against teams who've played the night before. Everyone

FTFY.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

In this day of airbrushed masks with detail so small you can't tell what is when they show close up shots, Scrivens' mask is a breath of fresh air. It's the kind of mask I would wear if I was an NHL goalie.

I'm right there with you. The airbrushing trend's the plague of goalie mask design.

This is a goalie mask...

richter.jpg

This is something you buy at the county fair when you're drunk.

toskala.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

A 2014 5th-rounder for Ben Lovejoy is a pretty good value for the Ducks, right?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I remember Roman Tureks' was weird. He had a monster and a tounge hanging out on the bottom.

This disaster. Always had an Eddie from Iron Maiden feel.

roman_turek-mask-.jpg

Because it was Eddie.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Admittedly a total homer pick, but goalie masks just don't get any better than this one...(again)

1645819_display_image.jpg

It doesn't hurt that Mike Richter is one of my all-time favorite Rangers.

As a kid, I thought Gerry Cheevers' mask was way cool. My first exposure to him, and to pro hockey for that matter, was when he played for the Cleveland Crusaders in the old WHA. Damn those New England Whalers for knocking us out of the playoffs in '72-'73. The Crusaders were actually pretty popular around here.

I was at the National Sports Collectors Convention in Cleveland a few years back and I picked up a Crusaders team photo and a ticket stub. I'd love to pick up a Crusaders jersey.

EDIT: Turns out a place called SportsK.com sells Crusaders jerseys. Anyone know anything about this place?

cheevers.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

A 2014 5th-rounder for Ben Lovejoy is a pretty good value for the Ducks, right?

I've gotta think so. Very happily surprised with that acquisition. This is good for a couple reasons (and one bad reason.) the bad is that you have to think Fowler is going to be out for a bit longer (Jarret Stoll is still waiting for your phone call, Shanny). The good is that it adds more depth and the one more defenseman I think the Ducks needed and adds another guy we could hopefully switch Bryan Allen out for. (Guy is as big as, skates like, and thinks like an oak tree. He is really the one sore spot on defense right now.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Admittedly a total homer pick, but goalie masks just don't get any better than this one...(again)

1645819_display_image.jpg

It doesn't hurt that Mike Richter is one of my all-time favorite Rangers.

As a kid, I thought Gerry Cheevers' mask was way cool. My first exposure to him, and to pro hockey for that matter, was when he played for the Cleveland Crusaders in the old WHA. Damn those New England Whalers for knocking us out of the playoffs in '72-'73. The Crusaders were actually pretty popular around here.

I was at the National Sports Collectors Convention in Cleveland a few years back and I picked up a Crusaders team photo and a ticket stub. I'd love to pick up a Crusaders jersey.

EDIT: Turns out a place called SportsK.com sells Crusaders jerseys. Anyone know anything about this place?

cheevers.jpg

SportsK is a 100% legit site. Just know that the WHA jerseys (made by K1) run large, so you'll probably want to order down a size.

The only airbrushed mask I can think of offhand that made me say "That is awesome" was Jonathan Quick's Rogie Vachon tribute. Seriously, goalies, stop trying to cram your whole life story on your mask. Simpler is better.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't know if I'd say they've been bad, but the Oilers certainly aren't what I had hoped they would be. They're only averaging 2.3 goals a game. I expected more goals scored and allowed from them. I still think they might hang tough and make it as an 8 seed, but it's a little disappointing that the pucks aren't going in like we thought they would. Maybe they still will! Plenty of time!

Also, the Ducks are good and the Avs are a crap sandwich. That's some deal they got with the Landeskog injury. Stick up for injured teammate, get hit with instigator penalty, give up power play goals, lose game, lose player, lost season.

Also, the Ducks are good and the Avs are a crap sandwich. That's some deal they got with the Landeskog injury. Stick up for injured teammate, get hit with instigator penalty, give up power play goals, lose game, lose player, lost season.

The Avs are probably the most boring hockey team in the league this year. They aren't good at all, but they aren't so bad that they garner attention for it. They are just there, like a middle child.

jNTsTyQ.png

The Avalanche are a skating nap. The closest they come to interesting is in their refusal to sign a player they desperately need, because apparently Josh Kroenke has a crippling fear of heights and can't get too high off the salary floor without unleashing a monsoon of flop sweat.

The Avs are probably the most boring hockey team in the league this year. They aren't good at all, but they aren't so bad that they garner attention for it. They are just there, like a middle child.

Predators are right in the mix, even more than usual now that Shea Weber is a lost soul. The Hurricanes, too. You get past Double The Staal and what's there, really? They're not a run-and-gun team, they're not a trap team, Cam Ward has coasted on one spring for seven freaking years now, and their fans don't even have the common decency to have god-awful attendance. It's the unwashable stink of perpetual ninth place.

Predators are right in the mix, even more than usual now that Shea Weber is a lost soul. The Hurricanes, too. You get past Double The Staal and what's there, really? They're not a run-and-gun team, they're not a trap team, Cam Ward has coasted on one spring for seven freaking years now, and their fans don't even have the common decency to have god-awful attendance. It's the unwashable stink of perpetual ninth place.

I'd say the Predators are a lot more exciting than the Avs. The Predators are at least competitive with nearly every team, and they go into overtime and shoots quite often, which adds a little excitement. Whereas the Avs either win 3-1 or lose 3-1, there is hardly ever a middle ground.

Carolina definitely gives the Avs a run for their money in the boring category, though.

The Avalanche are a skating nap. The closest they come to interesting is in their refusal to sign a player they desperately need, because apparently Josh Kroenke has a crippling fear of heights and can't get too high off the salary floor without unleashing a monsoon of flop sweat.

Honestly, Josh Kroenke spends too much time on the Nuggets side of the business to even really care about the Avalanche. Other than draft picks and the occasional 4th string waiver pick up, their front office does nothing.

jNTsTyQ.png

I remember Roman Tureks' was weird. He had a monster and a tounge hanging out on the bottom.

This disaster. Always had an Eddie from Iron Maiden feel.

roman_turek-mask-.jpg

I remember this one the most from him back in 2000:turek2.jpg

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Archived