The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

I don't think you can void a contract for failing to report, you can just disqualify the player for the year and push the terms of the contract ahead a year. That's what happened with Nabokov and the Islanders. They signed him for a year, he didn't come over, so he couldn't go anywhere in the NHL till he gave them that year he owed. Of course, it was silly that he had to go through waivers in the first place for him to end up owing the Islanders that year instead of the Red Wings, but hey, NHL.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Breech of Contract

This whole thing really has gone sideways.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

How many Stanley Cups have you won?

We know we haven't won a cup.

But man it must have been real difficult to win those first 3 cups with a whopping 5 other teams to contest with... I mean really, 40 seasons in a league with just 6 teams and you only won 3 cups?

I'll give your team all the credit in the world for the 2010 victory though. You guys deserved it and I was actually cheering for you in the final. Had I known how obnoxious your fans would become I would have cheered for Philly. Ah well, good to have hockey back and good to be trash talking the Hawks again. Can't wait for the season to start

How many Stanley Cups have you won?

We know we haven't won a cup.

But man it must have been real difficult to win those first 3 cups with a whopping 5 other teams to contest with... I mean really, 40 seasons in a league with just 6 teams and you only won 3 cups?

You seem upset.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I don't think you can void a contract for failing to report, you can just disqualify the player for the year and push the terms of the contract ahead a year. That's what happened with Nabokov and the Islanders. They signed him for a year, he didn't come over, so he couldn't go anywhere in the NHL till he gave them that year he owed. Of course, it was silly that he had to go through waivers in the first place for him to end up owing the Islanders that year instead of the Red Wings, but hey, NHL.

The contracts are pushed back? That seems ridiculous (though no moreso than allowing a guy to play in another league to begin with). In theory, a hockey star could sign a big contract in the US, go play in the KHL for a decade, then come back to the NHL when he is out of shape and 40 and be paid big dollars to sit on the bench for several more years?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

You seem to be trolling.

Yes, you're right. Sorry. I'll stop.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The contracts are pushed back? That seems ridiculous (though no moreso than allowing a guy to play in another league to begin with). In theory, a hockey star could sign a big contract in the US, go play in the KHL for a decade, then come back to the NHL when he is out of shape and 40 and be paid big dollars to sit on the bench for several more years?

I suppose if it ever got to that point, there might be some legal recourse to just void the contract, but it looks like tolling is what the Islanders (again!?) will be doing with Lubomir Visnovsky. If he doesn't come back, he doesn't get to burn a year toward free agency.

The whole Canada-never-wins-the-Stanley-Cup narrative will take a turn for the gratuitous in 2013, when it is awarded to the Phoenix Coyotes on the 4th of July.

Prediction time?

Top 3 are division winners

EAST

1. NY Rangers

2. Boston

3. Washington

4. Pittsburgh

5. Philadelphia

6. Tampa Bay

7. Buffalo

8. Carolina

9. Ottawa

10. Florida

11. New Jersey

12. Montreal

13. Winnipeg

14. NY Islanders

15. Toronto

WEST

1. St. Louis

2. Los Angeles

3. Vancouver

4. Chicago

5. Minnesota

6. San Jose

7. Detroit

8. Edmonton

9. Nashville

10. Phoenix

11. Anaheim

12. Calgary

13. Dallas

14. Colorado

15. Columbus

EAST FINALS- New York v Pittsburgh

WEST FINALS- Los Angeles v Chicago

STANLEY CUP- New York beats Los Angeles in 6 games

MVP- Sidney Crosby

Vezina- Henrik Lundqvist

ROY- Nail Yakupov

COY- Mike Yeo

Norris- Drew Doughty

Selke- Pavel Datsyuk

Art Ross- John Tavares

Random Predictions-

1. Calgary finally trades Jarome Iginla...to Tampa Bay.

2. We witness the beginning of the rise of the Edmonton Oilers. Nail Yakupov becomes an immediate force and the Oilers knock off the No. 1 St. Louis Blues in the first round of the playoffs.

3. Gary Bettman resigns.

4. The Phoenix Coyotes finally move. To Quebec City.

sig.png

There's no sense in predicting anything. Everyone is more or less equally mediocre, and the league stopped calling obstruction/restraining fouls to further help bad teams such as the one they own, so there's no way you can scan a roster and come up with anything. My only prediction is the Coyotes win the Stanley Cup.

1. Lubomir Visnovsky sent from Ducks to Islanders.

2. Lubomir Visnovsky expresses profound disinterest in ever playing on Long Island.

3. During the lockout, Lubomir Visnovsky plays in the KHL in his native Slovakia.

4. Lockout ends; Lubomir Visnovsky says he'll just be staying in Bratislava, thank you kindly.

5. Agreement apparently reached to bring Lubomir Visnovsky back stateside to play for the Islanders.

6. Islanders book flight for Lubomir Visnovsky; expected to take team physical Sunday.

7. Flight lands; Lubomir Visnovsky isn't on it.

8. Charles Wang offers reward of a trip for two anywhere in the continental U.S. and 50 Acme CrimeBucks for the capture of Lubomir Visnovsky.

whereslubo_zpsff99a5ea.png

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This is the second time the Isles have had to enlist the services of Acme. Their last search ended up with John Spano...

....INNNN JAAAAAAAAAIIIILLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived