College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

Whatever happened to Reebok making football uniforms?

They do still have the cfl contract if that counts but adidas acquiring reebok essentially killed rbk football once the nfl contract ended and reebok got out of college beforehand to put their $ into the nfl. In similar fashion the nba contract was rebranded as adidas and rbk was cast aside. At this point reebok has been narrowed into being a fitness and lifestyle brand and a presence within the nhl which I have no idea as to what their strategy is there.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nebraska-black-unis-helmet.jpg

Can we talk about this :censored:ing facemask for a second! Not only does it feature my least favorite trend with the multi-colored facemask, but it fades from a glossy red to a MATTE black. Who thought that was a good idea?! There is just zero continuity in that helmet. Why have a black matte facemask if the black helmet stripe is glossy?

I don't mind the uniform and I actually dig the color scheme, but jesus do I hate that facemask.

At the very least, the center of the mask should have been black with the outer part being red. It would have been dumb still, but slightly less so.

almost everyone (schools and manufacturers) in the game has the right idea. tweak the trend, make it different; make it your own. the problem is that its done with such poor taste. this face mask is a perfect example. it's easy to see how they arrived here given whats come before it, and it reminds me of Seth Godin's blog post yesterday, the difference between different and remarkable: http://sethgodin.typ...remarkable.html

this face mask, to the Nebraska/adidas audience is remarkable. people are talking about it. it's interesting to them. and it's got our attention, but for the wrong reason. i dont believe "any publicity is good publicity". its only good when people like you and want to buy/use your product, not when they think its :censored:. this mask is by far the worst piece of the uniform. it dosnt fit in with the rest of what going on with thew the helmet, jersey, pants, socks. thats 50% of what makes it such a bad element. the other 50% is that its just :censored:ing ugly, i mean, a gloss red to matte black gradient? GTFO! and why even call attention to a face mask? c'mon man

its hard to say if it was HGI, adidas, or Nebraska who created/wanted this, but if it were adidas, they should have saved this technique for another design that it actually works with. but, ofcourse Nebraska is one of their flagship schools, and its easy to see that this is where they want to showcase their "best" work.

if the face mask were solid red or black, it would be completely likable. and on brand for Nebraska, which is probably the most disappointing thing about it. they have a strong identity foundation which allows them to do other unique alternates to keep everything from being stale, but this kind of thing isnt it. should they have adidas' latest technology? yes. should they be at the front of design trends? no thats not who they are.

and personally, i would have made the N's all black and the stripe and face mask red. that way all the major elements in the uniform are black/white with the trim pieces in red

I doubt it was the school who pushed for a two-tone, two-finish facemask.

Also, not every Nebraska fan is gaga over them. I wish they would have used a powder black mask with the matte white helmet.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Can we talk about this :censored:ing facemask for a second! Not only does it feature my least favorite trend with the multi-colored facemask, but it fades from a glossy red to a MATTE black. Who thought that was a good idea?! There is just zero continuity in that helmet. Why have a black matte facemask if the black helmet stripe is glossy?

I don't mind the uniform and I actually dig the color scheme, but jesus do I hate that facemask.

At the very least, the center of the mask should have been black with the outer part being red. It would have been dumb still, but slightly less so.

almost everyone (schools and manufacturers) in the game has the right idea. tweak the trend, make it different; make it your own. the problem is that its done with such poor taste. this face mask is a perfect example. it's easy to see how they arrived here given whats come before it, and it reminds me of Seth Godin's blog post yesterday, the difference between different and remarkable: http://sethgodin.typ...remarkable.html

this face mask, to the Nebraska/adidas audience is remarkable. people are talking about it. it's interesting to them. and it's got our attention, but for the wrong reason. i dont believe "any publicity is good publicity". its only good when people like you and want to buy/use your product, not when they think its :censored:. this mask is by far the worst piece of the uniform. it dosnt fit in with the rest of what going on with thew the helmet, jersey, pants, socks. thats 50% of what makes it such a bad element. the other 50% is that its just :censored:ing ugly, i mean, a gloss red to matte black gradient? GTFO! and why even call attention to a face mask? c'mon man

its hard to say if it was HGI, adidas, or Nebraska who created/wanted this, but if it were adidas, they should have saved this technique for another design that it actually works with. but, ofcourse Nebraska is one of their flagship schools, and its easy to see that this is where they want to showcase their "best" work.

if the face mask were solid red or black, it would be completely likable. and on brand for Nebraska, which is probably the most disappointing thing about it. they have a strong identity foundation which allows them to do other unique alternates to keep everything from being stale, but this kind of thing isnt it. should they have adidas' latest technology? yes. should they be at the front of design trends? no thats not who they are.

and personally, i would have made the N's all black and the stripe and face mask red. that way all the major elements in the uniform are black/white with the trim pieces in red

Also, not every Nebraska fan is gaga over them. I wish they would have used a powder black mask with the matte white helmet.

probably not, but they went with it

what about the players? how do they feel? i havent watched the video or anything

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

what about the players? how do they feel? i havent watched the video or anything

When you watch the up-close interviews, the players seem to love it. However, the unveiling video they watched got only lackluster results. I think that's less to do with the uniforms and more to do with the God-awful Skrillex abortion that they used for the soundtrack. The music director at adidas should be shot.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

When you watch the up-close interviews, the players seem to love it. However, the unveiling video they watched got only lackluster results. I think that's less to do with the uniforms and more to do with the God-awful Skrillex abortion that they used for the soundtrack. The music director at adidas should be shot.

I know I'm going out on a limb here but maybe after last year's alts some of these kids are getting desensitised to the onslaught of new gear and care more about becoming a Top 10 ranked program since who knows how long.

I really don't mind the matte/chrome helmets because in some cases it looks really good (Ohio, OK St, TCU) granted sometimes it looks really bad but sometimes a really traditional uniform can look really bad, it just depends on what you choose to perceive. What I really HATE though is the two tone facemasks. They look really stupid IMO and I can't stand them. Especially that matte black to shiny red transition. Ugh

Since we're talking about matte white and two-toned facemaskes, to me, this is the one helmet that does both really well.

news_pic_0046.jpg

It works because all the elements flow really nicely and there is actual purpose in the design. When that helmet is in the sun, the silver elements really shine in contrast to the muted, matte white.

I actually think matte white is rather nice and makes things pop. My only worry with that Louisville helmet is how noticeable the decals will be in the sun. A vinyl sticker is a lot different than a metallic element that is, for a lack of a better term, built into the helmet.

wisco_adidas-1.jpggbp-2.jpg

BNtb5C7CcAAo7BR.jpg L'Ville going with a matte white helmet, because...

This is a matte helmet that I can tolerate because it looks mostly the same as the regular helmet.

I actually have a question; Will Louisville actually wear the same template as the ones UCLA and Nebraska unveiled?

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

BG8OQQsCUAAzgie.png New camouflage helmet for Virginia Tech, to be worn vs. Marshall on Sept. 21

We saw those awhile ago

I know, but I believe this was the first time the team officially mentioned them and the date. Maybe I'm wrong.

BG8OQQsCUAAzgie.png New camouflage helmet for Virginia Tech, to be worn vs. Marshall on Sept. 21

We saw those awhile ago

I know, but I believe this was the first time the team officially mentioned them and the date. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think you're right. I remember seeing them a while ago, but I think it was just a picture that had popped up on Twitter or something.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

Has this been posted?

Paul Lukas@UniWatch 29m

New camouflage helmet for Virginia Tech, to be worn vs. Marshall on Sept. 21: pic.twitter.com/hAVeeVzonk

BG8OQQsCUAAzgie.png

We saw those awhile ago

Not to be the smart as* here but here you go.

Letsgoblue.png

holland_hs_sig.pngHollandMichiganPNG_zps9365937b.png

Archived