College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't think of doughboys when we hear Fighting Illini, now do we?

Informed people do.

Note: By this definition the athletic department, 99.9% of the fanbase, the faculty, administration, trustees, and pretty much everyone else involved in a decision-making process within the University of Illinois system is "uninformed." I'm not saying lose the nickname, but I am saying that at this juncture it's a bit dishonest to use the doughboys as justification to keep the nickname. Especially when NROTC arguably plays a more regular role on gameday than ROTC (they get to ring the ship's bell from the never-finished U.S.S. Illinois).

Also, please note how "Indians" is believed to have been one of the nicknames occasionally used for Illinois athletic teams prior to Fighting Illini. How about that for tradition?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

New WKU unis out. BFBS and chrome helmet. Ugh.

The chrome helmet helps identify Petrino when he takes his latest mistress out on a motorcycle.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I found a very interesting Louisville jersey but I don't know how to post the picture

You have to be joking.

about the jersey or me not knowing how to post the picture? And it's you're

I found a very interesting Louisville jersey but I don't know how to post the picture

about the jersey or about posting the picture?

You have to be joking.

The hell are you doing. Your making a fool out of your self you posted inside of my quote,

I screwed up calm down

Me calm down? How bout you calm down and teach your self how to post and to post a picture because your making a cluster:censored: of this page.

Not being mean but seriously.

how? By not knowing how to post a picture from my iPhone?

What a bunch of Michigan Men.

Today, we are all otaku.

Informed people do.

Note: By this definition the athletic department, 99.9% of the fanbase, the faculty, administration, trustees, and pretty much everyone else involved in a decision-making process within the University of Illinois system is "uninformed." I'm not saying lose the nickname, but I am saying that at this juncture it's a bit dishonest to use the doughboys as justification to keep the nickname. Especially when NROTC arguably plays a more regular role on gameday than ROTC (they get to ring the ship's bell from the never-finished U.S.S. Illinois).

Also, please note how "Indians" is believed to have been one of the nicknames occasionally used for Illinois athletic teams prior to Fighting Illini. How about that for tradition?

What does the current day NROTC and ROTC have to do with anything? The nickname refers to students who volunteered to fight or were drafted into WWI. The nickname was also adopted at the same time Memorial Stadium was opened, which was named in honor of the students who were killed fighting in WWI. So basically the nickname was basically inspired by Memorial Stadium.

Informed people do.

What does the current day NROTC and ROTC have to do with anything? The nickname refers to students who volunteered to fight or were drafted into WWI. The nickname was also adopted at the same time Memorial Stadium was opened, which was named in honor of the students who were killed fighting in WWI. So basically the nickname was basically inspired by Memorial Stadium.

Most other schools that take the "We named the team after the generation of students who went off to war and never returned" tack tend to give contemporary servicemen at least some attention for "following in the footsteps of their hallowed forefathers." Illinois doesn't and has not.

Today, we are all otaku.

Informed people do.

Most other schools that take the "We named the team after the generation of students who went off to war and never returned" tack tend to give contemporary servicemen at least some attention for "following in the footsteps of their hallowed forefathers." Illinois doesn't and has not.

Illinois isn't the only school to adopt a nickname and then adopt a symbol for athletics that has nothing to do with the nickname.

http://www.rolltide.com/trads/elephant.html

Yes, but "Crimson Tide" is a rather abstract concept. "Doughboy" isn't.

Today, we are all otaku.

1069135_10151559961952734_2078788131_n_zps98c52cc6.jpg

I wish our new uni's looked half as good as this.

Helmets suck, but the unis look pretty good.

And, not that there was any doubt, but chrome helmets have officially jumped the shark.

Yes, but "Crimson Tide" is a rather abstract concept. "Doughboy" isn't.

When was Illinois ever nicknamed the Doughboys? U of I students weren't just in the army during WWI. They fought in other branches of the military also. Which is why they were called the Fighting Illini, not the Fighting Doughboys.

Archived