College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

Yes, but "Crimson Tide" is a rather abstract concept. "Doughboy" isn't.

When was Illinois ever nicknamed the Doughboys? U of I students weren't just in the army during WWI. They fought in other branches of the military also. Which is why they were called the Fighting Illini, not the Fighting Doughboys.

In the context of the 1920s if you were to think of and honor somebody who fought "over there" you didn't think of the Famous World War One Flying Ace or the sailors on US Navy warships. You thought of and honored the guys in the trenches. Hence why you would use Doughboy imagery.

Of course again, original intent is kind of moot when Chief Illiniwek debuted in the mid 1920s. Illinois' archives doth protest too much methinks.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but "Crimson Tide" is a rather abstract concept. "Doughboy" isn't.

When was Illinois ever nicknamed the Doughboys? U of I students weren't just in the army during WWI. They fought in other branches of the military also. Which is why they were called the Fighting Illini, not the Fighting Doughboys.

In the context of the 1920s if you were to think of and honor somebody who fought "over there" you didn't think of the Famous World War One Flying Ace or the sailors on US Navy warships. You thought of and honored the guys in the trenches. Hence why you would use Doughboy imagery.

Of course again, original intent is kind of moot when Chief Illiniwek debuted in the mid 1920s. Illinois' archives doth protest too much methinks.

I can see why someone who's school nickname is another word for hick would try to try to find faults in other school's nicknames.

I'm not finding fault with the nickname. I'm finding fault with a half-arsed attempt to spin the nickname. Original intent is meaningless when the school spends most of the next nine decades playing up the Native American component until the NCAA and Illini descendant tribes told them to stop.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm not finding fault with the nickname. I'm finding fault with a half-arsed attempt to spin the nickname. Original intent is meaningless when the school spends most of the next nine decades playing up the Native American component until the NCAA and Illini descendant tribes told them to stop.

Well, neither one of us are going to change our minds on this. There are some incorrect statements in the quoted post above, but I'm not going to piss everyone off and open that can of worms. This is my final post on the Fighting Illini nickname.

Here's a better shot of the Oregon unis...it's VOLT and chrome all the way. There is also another set with the apple green jersey AND pants.

flags.jpg

If that's the same uniform as the other pictures, I'm gonna go ahead and assume its yellow. It would look sick with the yellow helmet, this one not so much.

Do you have a picture to the other one?

Well, neither one of us are going to change our minds on this. There are some incorrect statements in the quoted post above, but I'm not going to piss everyone off and open that can of worms. This is my final post on the Fighting Illini nickname.

For the record, I'm from Illinois and my Uncle actually was Chief Illiniwek for two years. I'm not exactly ignorant about the mascot controversy.

Today, we are all otaku.

New WKU unis out. BFBS and chrome helmet. Ugh.

western-kentucky-hilltoppers-football.jpg

WKU doesn't use black?

The uniforms are terrible, but there's nothing wrong with the color choices.

Good point. Everyone knows Miami's colors include black and yellow, you know, since they are in the logo...sebastian.jpg

TCUCoachP

@TCUCoachP

Get ready for tomorrow because I will start giving you a peek of the LSU Game Uniform a little at a time! Game day is getting closer! #BAM#gofrogs

BTW, uniforms will be black on black with an "interesting" purple/black helmet.

I've gotta agree with rams on this one. If you ask anyone what they think of when they hear "Fighting Illini" almost everyone is going to say the chief. Even the people that know the original reference of the WWI soldiers think of the chief. It's hard not to when he was the school's symbol for 80 years.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

1069135_10151559961952734_2078788131_n_zps98c52cc6.jpg

I wish our new uni's looked half as good as this.

Helmets suck, but the unis look pretty good.

And, not that there was any doubt, but chrome helmets have officially jumped the shark.

The chrome one is awful, but the others are ok, imo.

New WKU unis out. BFBS and chrome helmet. Ugh.

western-kentucky-hilltoppers-football.jpg

WKU doesn't use black?

The uniforms are terrible, but there's nothing wrong with the color choices.

As a former Alumni I can tell you that Black is officially part of the Universities colors. If you need further proof then look at the WKU Logo User Manual.

spacer.png

1069135_10151559961952734_2078788131_n_zps98c52cc6.jpg

I wish our new uni's looked half as good as this.

Helmets suck, but the unis look pretty good.

And, not that there was any doubt, but chrome helmets have officially jumped the shark.

The chrome one is awful, but the others are ok, imo.

Here is a video of Memphis introducing the new uniforms:

spacer.png

No such thing as a former alum. Just because a school uses black in it's logo doesn't make it a school color. Same goes for the Web style guide (which doesn't even use black). Heck, Texas' uses navy blue, but no one thinks that is one of their colors. WKU's official colors, to my knowledge, are red and white.

No such thing as a former alum. Just because a school uses black in it's logo doesn't make it a school color. Same goes for the Web style guide (which doesn't even use black). Heck, Texas' uses navy blue, but no one thinks that is one of their colors. WKU's official colors, to my knowledge, are red and white.

The logo guide says wku red, wku black and white is the school's colors

Alumni former Alumni...you get the gist of it....but WKU Football used black in the set before their last uniform and the basketball team has been using black for years. To your knowledge, you would be wrong! Their colors are Red, White, Black, and Gray. Oh, by the way, when I worked at WKU I worked on a Publications and I asked about our colors back in 2010 and I was told they were Red, White, Black and Gray.

What was wrong with the old WKU uniforms? Those are way better than what they went too.

Bobby Petrino prefers modern designs...

spacer.png

Alumni former Alumni...you get the gist of it....but WKU Football used black in the set before their last uniform and the basketball team has been using black for years. To your knowledge, you would be wrong! Their colors are Red, White, Black, and Gray. Oh, by the way, when I worked at WKU I worked on a Publications and I asked about our colors back in 2010 and I was told they were Red, White, Black and Gray.

What was wrong with the old WKU uniforms? Those are way better than what they went too.

Bobby Petrino prefers modern designs...

and young ladies.

Archived