College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

coach fedora did say the uniforms are the first thing recruits ask about, gotta cater to your recruits

Well, no. You don't gotta.

alabama.jpg

Most programs don't have coach like Nick Saban, an athletic department fully dedicated to football, boosters with big pockets, great facilities, and great tradition. Other programs have to resort to different methods of recruiting players, no uniforms aren't the primary reasons players commit but it is important to the players. A chance to get to the next level, win, location are more important though.

Case in point? The NCAA loosening recruiting regulations.

I forget the specific player, but I remember reading about a standout Nebraska high school defensive lineman who was getting serious looks from the Huskers, K-State, Wisconsin and Stanford. Then out of the (literal) Blue, he got over 100 HAND-WRITTEN LETTERS from Duke. On the same day.

Duke has certainly built athletic prowess on the strength of their basketball program, but let's not kid: Duke is an Also-Ran when it comes to football. And a lot of those schools are resulting to gimmicks (letters, uniforms) to try and win recruits away from programs that can trade on the strength of their football brand alone.

Oregon and a few others (Maryland, Oklahoma State) have made a "brand" from outrageous uniforms and crazy color combinations. But the problem was created when every other school thought that flashy gimmicks could work for them and generate similar results. The Ducks will always wear that crown because they were early-adopters, but now the market is so saturated that it's almost more unique to find a school NOT offering a throwback, rivalry series, Pro Combat or other one-off.

In 2013 you don't have an alternate uniform to stand out - you have an alternate uniform to fit in. The flashy uniforms don't generate recruits, they keep already-interested kids at least somewhat interested in your school. Creating alternates is not going to win you championships. Yes, it worked for Oregon, but remember that Oregon has also been well coached. The uniforms may have lured some marginally better players, but the team was still managed well. On the flip side, I'd present Maryland as further evidence. Same garish clothing options, completely terrible on-field product.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

New-Yale-Football-Uniforms-1.jpg

New-Yale-Football-Uniforms-2.jpg

New-Yale-Football-Helmets-with-Old.jpg

So Yale is copying Penn State. Dumb.

No. History...look into it.

g-ctoc.jpg

So you're saying they both copied BYU, then?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

And, since one of the guys on Yale's founding team is largely credited with creating the American version of football in the first place, I'm gonna say everyone else copied Yale. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

coach fedora did say the uniforms are the first thing recruits ask about, gotta cater to your recruits

alabama.jpg

Most programs don't have coach like Nick Saban, an athletic department fully dedicated to football, boosters with big pockets, great facilities, and great tradition. Other programs have to resort to different methods of recruiting players, no uniforms aren't the primary reasons players commit but it is important to the players. A chance to get to the next level, win, location are more important though.

I forget the specific player, but I remember reading about a standout Nebraska high school defensive lineman who was getting serious looks from the Huskers, K-State, Wisconsin and Stanford. Then out of the (literal) Blue, he got over 100 HAND-WRITTEN LETTERS from Duke. On the same day.

Duke has certainly built athletic prowess on the strength of their basketball program, but let's not kid: Duke is an Also-Ran when it comes to football. And a lot of those schools are resulting to gimmicks (letters, uniforms) to try and win recruits away from programs that can trade on the strength of their football brand alone.

Oregon and a few others (Maryland, Oklahoma State) have made a "brand" from outrageous uniforms and crazy color combinations. But the problem was created when every other school thought that flashy gimmicks could work for them and generate similar results. The Ducks will always wear that crown because they were early-adopters, but now the market is so saturated that it's almost more unique to find a school NOT offering a throwback, rivalry series, Pro Combat or other one-off.

In 2013 you don't have an alternate uniform to stand out - you have an alternate uniform to fit in. The flashy uniforms don't generate recruits, they keep already-interested kids at least somewhat interested in your school. Creating alternates is not going to win you championships. Yes, it worked for Oregon, but remember that Oregon has also been well coached. The uniforms may have lured some marginally better players, but the team was still managed well. On the flip side, I'd present Maryland as further evidence. Same garish clothing options, completely terrible on-field product.

oregon is not a stand alone brand it's a brand extension of nike, very similar to the jordan brand, the brand extension is completely dependent on the parent brand for legitimacy.

alabama.jpg

Uniforms get attention, this is what gets you recruits.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-07-31/new-oregon-football-facility-photos-autzen-ducks-football-performance-center

i promise you Tulsa and Miami OH cannot offer this.

Oh and those yale pants are the kind i wore in high school and they are very uncomfortable.

Boom.

The last few posts in this thread makes a good point. As wacky as things are now, I am glad everyone doesn't look the same like they use to. Those Yale uniforms could be confused with a lot of schools.

"Thom's college clients include Oregon, which donned perhaps the most notable HGI look -- a silver carbon-fiber design for the BCS title game in January 2011 -- Ohio State, Georgia, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Michigan, Texas, TCU, Iowa and Virginia Tech. " http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=9519180&src=desktop Texas? :therock:

What did they do for Michigan? Don't really remember unless they meant Michigan State.

"Thom's college clients include Oregon, which donned perhaps the most notable HGI look -- a silver carbon-fiber design for the BCS title game in January 2011 -- Ohio State, Georgia, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Michigan, Texas, TCU, Iowa and Virginia Tech. " http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=9519180&src=desktop Texas? :therock:

What did they do for Michigan? Don't really remember unless they meant Michigan State.

They didn't so I bet they ment Msu

Letsgoblue.png

holland_hs_sig.pngHollandMichiganPNG_zps9365937b.png

Archived