College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

"Thom's college clients include Oregon, which donned perhaps the most notable HGI look -- a silver carbon-fiber design for the BCS title game in January 2011 -- Ohio State, Georgia, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Michigan, Texas, TCU, Iowa and Virginia Tech. " http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=9519180&src=desktop Texas? :therock:

What did they do for Michigan? Don't really remember unless they meant Michigan State.

They didn't so I bet they ment Msu

Unless of course they're referring to the matte helmet Michigan did for the Outback Bowl.... but IDK if that was an HGI project or not.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

coach fedora did say the uniforms are the first thing recruits ask about, gotta cater to your recruits

Well, no. You don't gotta.

alabama.jpg

Oh no, they do cater. They do it via other means. They pay them.

So does almost everyone else...

coach fedora did say the uniforms are the first thing recruits ask about, gotta cater to your recruits

alabama.jpg

Most programs don't have coach like Nick Saban, an athletic department fully dedicated to football, boosters with big pockets, great facilities, and great tradition. Other programs have to resort to different methods of recruiting players, no uniforms aren't the primary reasons players commit but it is important to the players. A chance to get to the next level, win, location are more important though.

Case in point? The NCAA loosening recruiting regulations.

I forget the specific player, but I remember reading about a standout Nebraska high school defensive lineman who was getting serious looks from the Huskers, K-State, Wisconsin and Stanford. Then out of the (literal) Blue, he got over 100 HAND-WRITTEN LETTERS from Duke. On the same day.

Duke has certainly built athletic prowess on the strength of their basketball program, but let's not kid: Duke is an Also-Ran when it comes to football. And a lot of those schools are resulting to gimmicks (letters, uniforms) to try and win recruits away from programs that can trade on the strength of their football brand alone.

Oregon and a few others (Maryland, Oklahoma State) have made a "brand" from outrageous uniforms and crazy color combinations. But the problem was created when every other school thought that flashy gimmicks could work for them and generate similar results. The Ducks will always wear that crown because they were early-adopters, but now the market is so saturated that it's almost more unique to find a school NOT offering a throwback, rivalry series, Pro Combat or other one-off.

In 2013 you don't have an alternate uniform to stand out - you have an alternate uniform to fit in. The flashy uniforms don't generate recruits, they keep already-interested kids at least somewhat interested in your school. Creating alternates is not going to win you championships. Yes, it worked for Oregon, but remember that Oregon has also been well coached. The uniforms may have lured some marginally better players, but the team was still managed well. On the flip side, I'd present Maryland as further evidence. Same garish clothing options, completely terrible on-field product.

Great post. Oregon is a good point. They do have crazy looking uniforms and designs, but they have been a successful program over recent seasons. IMO it's one thing to have wacky uniforms and it's another to do it and get away with it by winning. I believe a school like Maryland is the opposite. They sport odd uniforms but aren't successful. Their fans won't show up because they don't win. It gives them another reason NOT to attend games because the uniforms are ugly or disgusting looking. Fans think, gee why should I go to a game when the team is terrible and their uniforms are gross?

alabama.jpg

Most programs don't have coach like Nick Saban, an athletic department fully dedicated to football, boosters with big pockets, great facilities, and great tradition. Other programs have to resort to different methods of recruiting players, no uniforms aren't the primary reasons players commit but it is important to the players. A chance to get to the next level, win, location are more important though.

Case in point? The NCAA loosening recruiting regulations.

I forget the specific player, but I remember reading about a standout Nebraska high school defensive lineman who was getting serious looks from the Huskers, K-State, Wisconsin and Stanford. Then out of the (literal) Blue, he got over 100 HAND-WRITTEN LETTERS from Duke. On the same day.

Duke has certainly built athletic prowess on the strength of their basketball program, but let's not kid: Duke is an Also-Ran when it comes to football. And a lot of those schools are resulting to gimmicks (letters, uniforms) to try and win recruits away from programs that can trade on the strength of their football brand alone.

Oregon and a few others (Maryland, Oklahoma State) have made a "brand" from outrageous uniforms and crazy color combinations. But the problem was created when every other school thought that flashy gimmicks could work for them and generate similar results. The Ducks will always wear that crown because they were early-adopters, but now the market is so saturated that it's almost more unique to find a school NOT offering a throwback, rivalry series, Pro Combat or other one-off.

In 2013 you don't have an alternate uniform to stand out - you have an alternate uniform to fit in. The flashy uniforms don't generate recruits, they keep already-interested kids at least somewhat interested in your school. Creating alternates is not going to win you championships. Yes, it worked for Oregon, but remember that Oregon has also been well coached. The uniforms may have lured some marginally better players, but the team was still managed well. On the flip side, I'd present Maryland as further evidence. Same garish clothing options, completely terrible on-field product.

Great post. Oregon is a good point. They do have crazy looking uniforms and designs, but they have been a successful program over recent seasons. IMO it's one thing to have wacky uniforms and it's another to do it and get away with it by winning. I believe a school like Maryland is the opposite. They sport odd uniforms but aren't successful. Their fans won't show up because they don't win. It gives them another reason NOT to attend games because the uniforms are ugly or disgusting looking. Fans think, gee why should I go to a game when the team is terrible and their uniforms are gross?

But the thing is the Ducks uniforms are actually good, and are good designs, out there yes, with a million combos yes, but they choose combos that look good together, and when they get close to running out of options they change the uniforms to another good design using new Nike tech to show off for them, it isn't that they look crazy and get away with it because they win, they look modern and get away with it because they make it look good

alabama.jpg

BAM!!!! Not a bama fan or hater but there is no way that new uniforms with neon lights and fireworks coming out of them will ever beat out a great coach and the successful school with championships out the **s in recruiting PERIOD. I do like to bs about the new unis in all sports as they come but when it comes down to it the greatest athletes will always gravitate towards success and a championship rather than if they can wear volt grey and seafoam uniforms!

But when everyone is doing it then its not a useful tool it ends up in copy cats or Russell attempting to see just how stupid of a uniform they can get Georgia tech to wear. That's why artificial means of gaining an edge in recruiting will never work winning will, conference affiliation will, coaching will

But when everyone is doing it then its not a useful tool it ends up in copy cats or Russell attempting to see just how stupid of a uniform they can get Georgia tech to wear. That's why artificial means of gaining an edge in recruiting will never work winning will, conference affiliation will, coaching will

Yeah, but not everyone has winning and great coaching to point to. That's why you don't see Alabama, LSU, etc. coming out with the out there uniforms. The lower tiers of teams have to do something to catch the eye and a lot of times it ends up being uniforms that most of us think are awful.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Yeah, but not everyone has winning and great coaching to point to. That's why you don't see Alabama, LSU, etc. coming out with the out there uniforms. The lower tiers of teams have to do something to catch the eye and a lot of times it ends up being uniforms that most of us think are awful.

they both have worn Pro Combat designs. people like to point to them as a sacred, untouchable design but even they dont think of themselves that way

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

they both have worn Pro Combat designs. people like to point to them as a sacred, untouchable design but even they dont think of themselves that way

A little extra cash from Nike never hurt for one game, but I haven't seen Florida wearing the white lids lately

Regarding the mere existence of alternate/crazy uniforms, I'm neutral. Have them or don't - it matters not.

What matters is when smaller, under-budgeted schools with poor coaching buy into the belief that adding a neon jockstrap will suddenly turn them into Oregon. The ONLY reason that schools should be offering alternates is for the interest of fans and players.

I'm sick of every Also-Ran football school having an "unveiling" each week. I suppose from a marketing angle it drums up interest in the school and that's fine. And yes, those schools are also entitled to rock some cool duds and I hope their players enjoy the change of pace. But you don't become Superman just because you put a cape on your shoulders.

The uniforms create appeal - the coaches and players win games. The appeal might get a few stones turning, but winning games is what becomes an avalanche.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Didn't see anything posted about Tennessee making some changes for this season:

1. An outline of the state of Tennessee on the back of both the home and road uniforms, placed just above the player's names

2. A script "TENNESSEE" on the front of the road jersey, above the numerals

3. A faint checkerboard design in the numerals on the road jerseys

Didn't see anything posted about Tennessee making some changes for this season:

1. An outline of the state of Tennessee on the back of both the home and road uniforms, placed just above the player's names

2. A script "TENNESSEE" on the front of the road jersey, above the numerals

3. A faint checkerboard design in the numerals on the road jerseys

There were a few screens posted from ncaa 14 but no real life pics

Regarding the mere existence of alternate/crazy uniforms, I'm neutral. Have them or don't - it matters not.

What matters is when smaller, under-budgeted schools with poor coaching buy into the belief that adding a neon jockstrap will suddenly turn them into Oregon. The ONLY reason that schools should be offering alternates is for the interest of fans and players.

I'm sick of every Also-Ran football school having an "unveiling" each week. I suppose from a marketing angle it drums up interest in the school and that's fine. And yes, those schools are also entitled to rock some cool duds and I hope their players enjoy the change of pace. But you don't become Superman just because you put a cape on your shoulders.

The uniforms create appeal - the coaches and players win games. The appeal might get a few stones turning, but winning games is what becomes an avalanche.

Yeah what these schools don't realize is that what Oregon lacks in tradition they absolutely more than make up for in facilities. Easily the best in the country. They got great facilities great coaches.

They're not regularly contenders becaus a bunch of kids saw cool uniforms and decided they wanted to go there, they did it because they built a great program with state of the art facilities.

The uniforms help draw a little bit of attention but that's it.

Yeah what these schools don't realize is that what Oregon lacks in tradition they absolutely more than make up for in facilities. Easily the best in the country. They got great facilities great coaches.

They're not regularly contenders becaus a bunch of kids saw cool uniforms and decided they wanted to go there, they did it because they built a great program with state of the art facilities.

The uniforms help draw a little bit of attention but that's it.

Exactly.

Correlation =/= Causation.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived