College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BSw81_nCAAEERrh.jpg

I've seen plenty of games in this stadium. It is most definitely not patch-worthy.

Speaking of which, do we have any Baylor fans in this thread. Can't say I remember a single one.

Are they tearing it down after this season?

BaylorStadium1.jpg

They are building a new stadium set to open in time for the 2014 season.

Time out--am I seeing this right? This stadium has a bridge going to it? Is it set back in a marsh or something? And is that supposed to be I-35 running behind it?

That looks like a certificable traffic nightmare waiting to happen.

That is indeed a pedestrian bridge connecting to the stadium to the main part of the Baylor campus. It is being built right across the Brazos River along I-35. The only thing not true about that photo is the blue water. The Brazos River is typically a mud brown color. Traffic wise it should be no worse than any other spot in Waco. I-35 is the main freeway in town and traffic will be backed up on it on any given game day......mainly from fans driving to College Station and Austin for A&M and UT games. I keed i keed. This new stadium is a vast improvement over Floyd Casey which was located miles away from campus in a run down part of town. For Baylors sake, hopefully they can consistantly fill this new stadium up with their own fans vs relying on visiting fans to fill up 1/3 of it.

The Hoosiers will be wearing their state flag helmets tonight.

51cdf68eaa4e5.image.jpg

I hate that helmet. The state logo looks like a mess

The only one of the new ones that I actually like is the chrome candy striped one and it's taken quite a few viewings to grow on me. I just really, really like the traditional red and white helmets that IU has.

Am I the only one who sees anything about Oregon and just quickly scrolls by?

I mean really, what's the point? Wait 5 minutes, they'll change it again.

I am definitely in this boat, too. You can only keep "pushing the envelope" so far until you've reached the point of over saturation, and people just get numb to it. In a weird way it's almost like they change so often that, unless you're really paying close attention, they always seem the same. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that they try not to wear the same combo twice, and it occurred to me that I never really noticed. So, one jersey is white with reflective numbers and yellow outlines and another jersey is white with green numbers and grey outlines? If that was the only change they introduced it might be of note, but when it's just part of this endless parade of minor differences, how much impact can it have?

It sort of reminds me of the low self-esteem girl from college who goes punk/goth in an effort to get noticed. So if today she's wearing a nose ring with pink hair and tomorrow she's wearing a lip ring with orange hair, and these are just the latest in an endless procession of new looks, is that really going to make an impression on anyone?

This is how I feel with all of college football. It used to be teams had one helmet and two uniforms and changes only happened every 4 or 5 years at the most. The classically dressed teams didn't have weird one-off alternates to worry about, and you could trust that even Oregon was going to be in the same green helmet each week.

Now there's so much uniform turnover that it feels overwhelming to keep up with and it feels like when a change does happen that it doesn't even matter because another change will be coming right around the corner. If an NFL team unveils a bad uniform we're stuck watching it for at least 5 years. If a college team unveils a bad uniform we're stuck watching it for a much briefer period. The stakes are lower in college uniform design and it's why I've mostly stayed out of this thread, because when changes happen this often, what's the point?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Interesting article on Georgia's uniforms of the past. The article also states that 2014 will see the return of silver britches to Athens.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/preview13/story/_/id/9602363/georgia-bulldogs-uniforms-stick-close-tradition

"Next year, in 2014, we'll finally have the pants back," Meshad (director of UGA athletic equipment) said. "The silver britches will be back. This year you'll see a version of them, but they still won't have the sheen and silver that we like until 2014."

I remember hearing someone saying Georgia would like to return to the silver pants and hopefully could in the future. This is the first time I had heard an actual time table given.

YES!!!!!!! I remember me and BraveBird had a 2 page discussion or so back in the 2011 thread about the silver britches disappearance for grey. Glad to see they're coming back!

If Nike has finally figured out how to make metallic pants with whatever their latest uniform technology is, I hope they use them for every team that has a metallic-colored helmet as well. It looks weird for a team to have a silver helmet and gray pants, or a gold helmet and khaki pants.

For instance, I think this:

JNDHWJF.jpgfVNnEOr.jpg

Looks much better than this:

5rUZrWz.jpgSLq3OHl.jpg

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I am definitely in this boat, too. You can only keep "pushing the envelope" so far until you've reached the point of over saturation, and people just get numb to it. In a weird way it's almost like they change so often that, unless you're really paying close attention, they always seem the same. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that they try not to wear the same combo twice, and it occurred to me that I never really noticed. So, one jersey is white with reflective numbers and yellow outlines and another jersey is white with green numbers and grey outlines? If that was the only change they introduced it might be of note, but when it's just part of this endless parade of minor differences, how much impact can it have?

It sort of reminds me of the low self-esteem girl from college who goes punk/goth in an effort to get noticed. So if today she's wearing a nose ring with pink hair and tomorrow she's wearing a lip ring with orange hair, and these are just the latest in an endless procession of new looks, is that really going to make an impression on anyone?

This is how I feel with all of college football. It used to be teams had one helmet and two uniforms and changes only happened every 4 or 5 years at the most. The classically dressed teams didn't have weird one-off alternates to worry about, and you could trust that even Oregon was going to be in the same green helmet each week.

Now there's so much uniform turnover that it feels overwhelming to keep up with and it feels like when a change does happen that it doesn't even matter because another change will be coming right around the corner. If an NFL team unveils a bad uniform we're stuck watching it for at least 5 years. If a college team unveils a bad uniform we're stuck watching it for a much briefer period. The stakes are lower in college uniform design and it's why I've mostly stayed out of this thread, because when changes happen this often, what's the point?

I think we're hitting peak uniform/design fatigue. To many teams are trying to do the oregon thing which end up being cheap facimilies of the originals. I alos think the cutting edge fashion trend will eventually become tiresome and we'll see a return to more tradiional looks with less options as a result.

BS1vnvSCcAIMQC6.jpg

That sucks

I agree. It would look so much better with an all red 'C'. Basically their other white helmets, with a minor tweak.

kinda looks like the Texas Tech from last couple years. Must be a Tuberville thing.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

I think we're hitting peak uniform/design fatigue. To many teams are trying to do the oregon thing which end up being cheap facimilies of the originals. I alos think the cutting edge fashion trend will eventually become tiresome and we'll see a return to more tradiional looks with less options as a result.

One can only hope it is coming to an end but with players falling down because Indiana reveals a fifth helmet or whatever I am not sure.

Archived