College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like 5 school's athletic departments turn a profit, which then all goes back to the athletic department and the school to pay for scholarships, building upkeep, staffing, new construction, etc.

Farcically implying that universities farcically declare themselves not for profits because of football programs is farcical.

EDIT:

Don't believe me? Look it up yourself. Any state school's financial records are accessible under a simple FOIA request.

Battsu Tim E. The non-profit status is specifically used to shield the schools from responsibility for letting the players have a taste of the money they are generated for the athletic departments. To believe the self-justifying drivel put out by your average MBA turned athletic director is to do a disservice to the two degrees you claim to have.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You can be a cynic all you want (although, I'm not sure you can call what you said cynicism since you're not trafficking in facts...) but let's get a few points straight.

EDIT: Wow. Long. tl;dr long... Time to *RANT* this. Sorry, back to unis.

• Universities have been non-for-profits long before athletics were in integral part of the average college experience and even longer before any of those programs became profit generators.
  • LSU, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Purdue and Texas were the only schools to report no subsidy money in 2012. In other words, seven athletic departments were able to cover their own costs without help of subsidies. Hell, That same year, Rutgers' athletic department was in the red $28 million.
  • Could athletic directs make less money and pay student athletes while still not bankrupting their universities? Of course. But the free market determines the pay of an AD or head ball coach (which is why many state's highest payed employee is not the governor but rather a state university head coach) and paying student athletes (something I think should happen) would most likely lead to higher ticket prices in revenue sports.
  • You can say that the non-for-profit status is, "the self-justifying drivel put out by your average MBA turned athletic director," but that is just self-justifying drivel promoting your opinion that players should get a cut of the money. Even if student athletes get a cut, universities will remain non-for-profit. Again, all the financial records are available via FOIA. You can say whatever you want, but the money is fact.
  • If you consider what a for-profit university looks like (Phoenix) and then add in how costs on a traditional university would skyrocket if they removed non-for-profit status, you can imagine why there is no such for-profit D1 program. It isn't feasible or reasonable.
  • And are we to say non-for-profits aren't allowed to make more money than their budget? Yearly, my family and I volunteer to sell Jelly-Bellies for Misericordia in Illinois. If we were to make more than the yearly budget, that money would go to attract new, better employees, better facilities and upgrades all over their campus. Sound familiar? That's what non-for-profits dream of.
  • I have never claimed to have two degrees. I have a BA in Journalism from Indiana with a concentration in classical studies. My allegiance to Northwestern (my father's alma mater) is purely based on my love of their football program as I have been a season ticket holder for over 20 of my 26 years on this planet.
  • "You claim to have." I want to use very strong words to tell you how a feel about this extremely passive aggressive insult at both my intelligence and integrity, but this is the internet: Perhaps your flippant remark was intended as humor and not the childish sideswipe it came off as.

I caught a bit of Wake Forest and I have to say that I'm sick of all the white-outs in college football.

WFWS?

Texas and Penn State should issue a class action lawsuit on all-white roads. When Oregon started this mess, people paid attention. Now every week is another Temple, Tulsa or Troy unveiling a Carbon-Out uniform or chromed socks. It's getting beyond stupid.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The Badgers look way too much like Indiana with these. Even my friend who isn't a big uniform guy said that same thing. I prefer the white a lot, but if they want to do the red helmet thing again they should wear their red pants, even though those are usually reserved for the Rose Bowl. I think the red helmet could work on the road with red pants. but White is definitely better.

Illinois is going orange/orange/white for the second straight look. Now, I like this look, but only once or twice a year and definitely not twice in a row. I hope this doesn't become the primary because we should be wearing blue jerseys the majority of the time. And I don't like how the new helmet logo is navy on an orange helmet while the jersey numbers are white on orange.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'm hearing whispers from my Michigan brethren that Michigan will be wearing new alternates tonight.

Adidas disaster ensue.

I doubt it. Didn't they say there wouldn't be any new alternates this year?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Anyone else completely baffled that Miami has kept these same uniforms for so long? They aren't terrible, but Miami just seems like a school Nike would want to pimp... Not even any flywire?? Surprising to me, that's all

With all the allegations that Miami has been through if I was Nike I would distance myself from them....and Al Golden is more of an old school coach and he may not want flashy uniforms.

spacer.png

The Badgers look way too much like Indiana with these. Even my friend who isn't a big uniform guy said that same thing. I prefer the white a lot, but if they want to do the red helmet thing again they should wear their red pants, even though those are usually reserved for the Rose Bowl. I think the red helmet could work on the road with red pants. but White is definitely better.

Whole heartedly agree. I'm wondering how a full blood-clot red helmet, red jersey, red pants look would go over. I'm also a little disgusted at my own curiosity of that very look.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

Archived