College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rumor alert, so take this with a grain of salt...

Someone in the "know" on one of the WVU forums I sometimes read, says among WVU's new uniforms for next season will be 3 helmets. A white one, a gold (yellow) one, and another one he just labeled as "other". He also said the current flying WV helmet that they've been wearing for the past 30 years is no more, which is possibly the worst news I've heard in my life... My guess is that, if true, the "other" helmet is a navy blue chrome version of their current helmet.

If he's as accurate as The Dude you have nothing to worry about. Can't believe they'd get rid of that logo.

No kidding. I know WVU doesn't get talked about alongside other storied programs all that much, but in terms of brand equity, that flying WV is about as iconic as iconic gets...it'd be a crying shame (for the football team to) if they were to toss all that by the wayside just to chase after some newfangled kewl en vogue trend that'll probably last only as long as it takes for the next kewl en-vogue trend to catch fire.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Someone in the "know" on one of the WVU forums I sometimes read, says among WVU's new uniforms for next season will be 3 helmets. A white one, a gold (yellow) one, and another one he just labeled as "other". He also said the current flying WV helmet that they've been wearing for the past 30 years is no more, which is possibly the worst news I've heard in my life... My guess is that, if true, the "other" helmet is a navy blue chrome version of their current helmet.

If he's as accurate as The Dude you have nothing to worry about. Can't believe they'd get rid of that logo.

Well, he didn't say anything about getting rid of the logo. Just our current helmet:

WVU%20Helmet.jpg

90758391980.gif

cincyuconn1.jpg

UConnFootballUSF10.jpg

They look like a high school team.

What, not enough stupid, pointless, barely visible patterns plastered over various parts of the uniform? Or maybe the problem is they don't have 50 or 60 individual combinations available.

Maybe they do look like a high school, but its a sad state of affairs when high school teams look better than the average mid-level major college team, wearing over-designed nonsense in an effort to appeal to the players on those high school teams.

Remove the piping, and these are very clean uniforms. I think adding silver or red accents would make them pop a little more as well.

Piping by itself can be a nice embellishment, when done correctly. If the piping was just vertically down the side panels on the jersey, it would still be a clean look.

But when the piping curves strangely toward the chest, and actually touches the numbers, then it's done poorly, like in this case.

The problem is that with all the new technology and strategically placed fabric/mesh patterns, the piping has to follow their seams, otherwise they're beyond arbitrarily placed. So either the fabric panels need to be redesigned so the piping borders leave more room for numbers/lettering, or the piping has to go entirely.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Someone in the "know" on one of the WVU forums I sometimes read, says among WVU's new uniforms for next season will be 3 helmets. A white one, a gold (yellow) one, and another one he just labeled as "other". He also said the current flying WV helmet that they've been wearing for the past 30 years is no more , which is possibly the worst news I've heard in my life... My guess is that, if true, the "other" helmet is a navy blue chrome version of their current helmet.

Well, he didn't say anything about getting rid of the logo. Just our current helmet:

WVU%20Helmet.jpg

I guess I interpreted getting rid of "the current flying WV helmet that they've been wearing for the past 30" as not having that logo on the helmet anymore. If that's not what that means, what does it mean?

Someone in the "know" on one of the WVU forums I sometimes read, says among WVU's new uniforms for next season will be 3 helmets. A white one, a gold (yellow) one, and another one he just labeled as "other". He also said the current flying WV helmet that they've been wearing for the past 30 years is no more , which is possibly the worst news I've heard in my life... My guess is that, if true, the "other" helmet is a navy blue chrome version of their current helmet.

WVU%20Helmet.jpg

I guess I interpreted getting rid of "the current flying WV helmet that they've been wearing for the past 30" as not having that logo on the helmet anymore. If that's not what that means, what does it mean?

The helmet you see in that picture will not be used... The gold flying WV logo you see in that picture could still be used on a chrome helmet for example. Or a matte one.

90758391980.gif

Wake will be getting new helmets next year. There's not a whole lot of originality here. The black ones are knock-offs of Missouri and Duke's black-on-blacks. I like the direction of the white one but the Deacon graphic is way too big and it could use some striping somewhere. The logo also looks to be too far back on the helmet but that may just be the angle of the photographer.

wakeresize2_zps865162a3.jpg

Wake will be getting new helmets next year. There's not a whole lot of originality here. The black ones are knock-offs of Missouri and Duke's black-on-blacks. I like the direction of the white one but the Deacon graphic is way too big and it could use some striping somewhere. The logo also looks to be too far back on the helmet but that may just be the angle of the photographer.

talk about being late to hop on the bandwagon...

And not doing a job of it. Teams in North Carolina just don't have good alternate football helmets.

And not doing a job of it. Teams in North Carolina just don't have good alternate football helmets.

I think we take the cake on bad alternate helmets with these nightmares:

hokie-helmet-ii.png

1b56a12dec0a21f7b9e27a4488aca8d2.jpg

I'm....... I'm done. The black one COULD work, but that white one. Why. Why can't we have good helmets. (BTW, the current helmet isn't bad, just desires a gold stripe.)

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

If the WF logo was gold or white, and there was a stripe on the matte black helmet, preferably gold... it might work. But that white one should be burnt as soon as possible.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Does anyone think either of these are even remotely as good as their usual helmet??

wake-forest-football-wake-forest-helmet-held-high-wf-f-x-00007smd.jpg

90758391980.gif

If the WF logo was gold or white, and there was a stripe on the matte black helmet, preferably gold... it might work. But that white one should be burnt as soon as possible.

this is the unintended yet very predictable consequence of schools that don't fall into the elite/top tier category...they don't have a team of paid for designers developing cohesive looks through a professional design process...unfortunately this is what happens when coaches and equipment managers try to achieve the oregon or pro-combat look when they have zero design skills, limited finances, and a stock catalog to work with.

I do think we are getting close to the breaking point though...maybe another season or two before traditional/old school becomes the way to stand out in the crowd and reverses the trend.

this is the unintended yet very predictable consequence of schools that don't fall into the elite/top tier category...they don't have a team of paid for designers developing cohesive looks through a professional design process...unfortunately this is what happens when coaches and equipment managers try to achieve the oregon or pro-combat look when they have zero design skills, limited finances, and a stock catalog to work with.

I do think we are getting close to the breaking point though...maybe another season or two before traditional/old school becomes the way to stand out in the crowd and reverses the trend.

maybe they should start by getting rid of the times new roman logo for a better font

spacer.png

WVU%20Helmet.jpg

The helmet you see in that picture will not be used... The gold flying WV logo you see in that picture could still be used on a chrome helmet for example. Or a matte one.

Yeah that finish is actually kinda ugly, looks like the steelers or bears. I think I nice metallic version would work, think darker shade of the giants.

It maybe it stays the same but they add a stripe?

WVU%20Helmet.jpg

Yeah that finish is actually kinda ugly, looks like the steelers or bears. I think I nice metallic version would work, think darker shade of the giants.

It maybe it stays the same but they add a stripe?

that is a very old photo...you can tell by the model of schutt helmet....I'm also pretty sure that the current navy has some metallic flake in it

Archived