College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

Going from this thread over to the mlb thread, is like running naked from an ice cold blizzard into a hot tub.

You know, as much as people complain about the current state of college football uniforms, if every team looked like Alabama and USC this thread would probably be like 3 pages long and boring.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't know why people like that Houston set at all. It looks terrible and it just doesn't fit the identity. Why couldn't they use a throwback set from the Andre Ware days instead of those uniforms.

2385888022_37169b604a_o.jpg

Because they have to do everything the kids demand. Aesthetics be damned.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Going from this thread over to the mlb thread, is like running naked from an ice cold blizzard into a hot tub.

You know, as much as people complain about the current state of college football uniforms, if every team looked like Alabama and USC this thread would probably be like 3 pages long and boring.

This is absolutely true. These bizarre creations give us something to talk about whether we'd like to admit it or not. Only now one-offs are not a novelty and finding a good new design based on proper uniform code are the rare item.

Midway.png

I really don't know why people like that Houston set at all. It looks terrible and it just doesn't fit the identity. Why couldn't they use a throwback set from the Andre Ware days instead of those uniforms.

Because throwbacks in college are about alums reminiscing and merch sales. These hideous new uniforms are about recruiting.

Because they are a Nike school, and those stripes on Ware's jersey wouldn't fly well with them.

Not the exact same, but Nike doesn't have that problem with BYU.

byu.jpg

Because throwbacks in college are about alums reminiscing and merch sales. These hideous new uniforms are about recruiting.

Because they are a Nike school, and those stripes on Ware's jersey wouldn't fly well with them.

byu.jpg

Thats a completely different stripe than what adidas slaps on everything they ever create

byu.jpg

Thats a completely different stripe than what adidas slaps on everything they ever create

I don't disagree (see the new US Sochi bobsled unis as an example), but I'm saying there are designs with 3 stripes that aren't adidas (like those UH uniforms, 49ers uniforms, etc) and there are designs that Nike makes that have 3 stripes (including those BYU designs). The point being that I think Nike would be ok making that throwback design for UH if UH wanted it (which, of course, they don't).

They wore those uniforms while they were on three years NCAA probation and it was under the John Jenkins era.

byu.jpg

I don't disagree (see the new US Sochi bobsled unis as an example), but I'm saying there are designs with 3 stripes that aren't adidas (like those UH uniforms, 49ers uniforms, etc) and there are designs that Nike makes that have 3 stripes (including those BYU designs). The point being that I think Nike would be ok making that throwback design for UH if UH wanted it (which, of course, they don't).

but do you notice how nike purposefully makes the triple stripe on the 49ers uni disappear to not look like the adidas stripe. They probably would do a normal triple stripe if it wasn't for adidas slapping their stripes all over every soccer and basketball uniform they can get there hands on. people associate that stripe with adidas and nike doesn't want anything on their uniform that will remind people of their biggest competitor.

byu.jpg

but do you notice how nike purposefully makes the triple stripe on the 49ers uni disappear to not look like the adidas stripe. They probably would do a normal triple stripe if it wasn't for adidas slapping their stripes all over every soccer and basketball uniform they can get there hands on. people associate that stripe with adidas and nike doesn't want anything on their uniform that will remind people of their biggest competitor.

Reebok did the same thing Nike does and they are owned by adidas, so I doubt the reason Nike did it was to prevent people from being reminded about their biggest competitor.

135247302_crop_650x440.jpg

Nike, Reebok, Adidas had nothing to do with the stripes the 49ers chose to have them like that.

Aren't the 49ers stripes like that because of the jersey template Reebok gave them. The 49ers, Cardinals and Bills (there may have been other teams) had a different template than most NFL teams. The sleeve cuffs angle upwards, which is why the sleeve stripes are cut off. No one on these teams ever wore the longer QB sleeves. The QB's sleeve cuffs were not as tight, but that was the only difference. The Bills solved this issue by slightly angling their sleeve stripes upwards.

B8DC4AC7-8268-416B-9FE8-4636ED1728BA-931

1149626F-ECCE-44D0-9A8C-8487062BA510-931

62E54546-DD91-4A88-9251-63B46D82D054-937

EB306F3F-C013-4B05-ABE1-F89642609536-931

Nike, Reebok, Adidas had nothing to do with the stripes the 49ers chose to have them like that.

Aren't the 49ers stripes like that because of the jersey template Reebok gave them. The 49ers, Cardinals and Bills (there may have been other teams) had a different template than most NFL teams. The sleeve cuffs angle upwards, which is why the sleeve stripes are cut off. No one on these teams ever wore the longer QB sleeves. The QB's sleeve cuffs were not as tight, but that was the only difference. The Bills solved this issue by slightly angling their sleeve stripes upwards.

B8DC4AC7-8268-416B-9FE8-4636ED1728BA-931

1149626F-ECCE-44D0-9A8C-8487062BA510-931

62E54546-DD91-4A88-9251-63B46D82D054-937

EB306F3F-C013-4B05-ABE1-F89642609536-931

smith.jpg?w=588&h=300

but i doubt nike will ever fix the stripes because they will look like adidas teams

They won't look like adidas. They'll look like the 49ers. By this logic, Green Bay would have different stripes on theirjerseys as well.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I believe Alex Smith and their punter are the only two people that have ever had all 3 stripes and that was only after Nike started making the jerseys. I'm guessing fixing the stripes would be considered a uniform change, so if they wanted to fix them they would have to wait until the 5 year period is over. They may have been given permission by the NFL to let a couple players wear jerseys with all 3 uniforms as some sort of test or experiment.

but i doubt nike will ever fix the stripes because they will look like adidas teams

see the pic right above your post. Nike will make them how the team/player wants. Period.

Maybe the SCs, bamas, and BYUs will soon become the "different" teams that recruits will be into and thus bring us back from the brink.

Yeah...no...(unfortunately)

see the pic right above your post. Nike will make them how the team/player wants. Period.

Maybe the SCs, bamas, and BYUs will soon become the "different" teams that recruits will be into and thus bring us back from the brink.

Yeah...no...(unfortunately)

Well, I figure a move back towards more traditional uniforms has to come at some point. I don't know how much farther the envelope can be pushed. We may get some indication in a year or so when Oregon is due for a re-design.

I believe Alex Smith and their punter are the only two people that have ever had all 3 stripes and that was only after Nike started making the jerseys. I'm guessing fixing the stripes would be considered a uniform change, so if they wanted to fix them they would have to wait until the 5 year period is over. They may have been given permission by the NFL to let a couple players wear jerseys with all 3 uniforms as some sort of test or experiment.

Given that a bunch of teams changed collar colors this year after 1 year into the nike template, I think modifying the sleeve stripes would be allowed as a small modification and not be subject to any 5 year rule that total redesigns require.

Archived