College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While both of you are right, perception becomes reality. here, in this well informed and smaller environment, I chose to change said perception because it's not fair to imply that the intent was to make it look like blood. Had the intent been to make the uniform look like blood, leaders at NU and UA should've had been fired. But that's not the case, this is just a bad design that has quickly been misinterpreted.

BYPbn33CIAAwqFd.jpg

Icky jingoistic uniform is icky and jingoistic.

I don't see anything jingoistic about it. It's simply Patriotic. In fact, I don't see how a football uniform could look "jingoistic".

Not unless we start exporting it and making foreigners wear it.

BYPbn33CIAAwqFd.jpg

I don't see anything jingoistic about it. It's simply Patriotic. In fact, I don't see how a football uniform could look "jingoistic".

See:

Colloquially, it refers to excessive bias in judging one's own country as superior to others—an extreme type of nationalism.

That's how I meant it. "AMERICA 4UCK YEAH, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN GTFO."

Name plates with "courage", bumpers with "Believe in Heroes". Implying that that's the only way to be courageous or a hero, to me, is disingenuous. But it's just my opinion.

While both of you are right, perception becomes reality. here, in this well informed and smaller environment, I chose to change said perception because it's not fair to imply that the intent was to make it look like blood. Had the intent been to make the uniform look like blood, leaders at NU and UA should've had been fired. But that's not the case, this is just a bad design that has quickly been misinterpreted.

Agreed but even I'm guilty of thinking that it looked like a blood spatter (not "splatter" BTW) at first.

If "tattered flag" was the look they were going for, it might've been wiser to have the white bleed into the red, seeing as how on many old flags the red stripes were sewn on to a white material and if they ripped thats how they would look. (hey, I DID learn something on my visit to Betsy Ross' house!) Or perhaps to give both stripe colors the appearance of tears. Something more along the lines of the WW Project logo

wwp.jpeg

BYPbn33CIAAwqFd.jpg

See:

Colloquially, it refers to excessive bias in judging one's own country as superior to others—an extreme type of nationalism.

That's how I meant it. "AMERICA 4UCK YEAH, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN GTFO."

You're reading an awful lot into a football uniform. Not really getting a "we're better than you" vibe out of it, especially for a game and sport which has almost zero relevance outside of the US.

Jingoism doesn't have to be something experienced in another country. To me, this is a form of, "an extreme type of nationalism," which is a perfectly acceptable definition. I think that's fair. If you don't, that's fine - this is all opinion.

thou doth protest too much.

It's not jingoistic to wear something resembling the American flag at an American sporting event. Patriotic? Maybe. Tacky? Probably. Jingoistic? No, not really.

Moving along.

Jingoism doesn't have to be something experienced in another country. To me, this is a form of, "an extreme type of nationalism," which is a perfectly acceptable definition. I think that's fair. If you don't, that's fine - this is all opinion.

thou doth protest too much.

It's not jingoistic to wear something resembling the American flag at an American sporting event. Patriotic? Maybe. Tacky? Probably. Jingoistic? No, not really.

Moving along.

Patriotic? Overtly. Tacky? Absolutely. Jingoistic? Probably. We need a good old fashioned Canadian opinion :flagcanada:

They got rid of their own school colors for this design. Way over the top and really unneccessary. This is probably going to be unpopular but I can't stand the "Look at me! I wear red white and blue to support the troops." It feels so fake and insincere. Yes, honor veterans for veterans day, but enough with the ultra-patriotism already.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

Didn't South Carolina wear a similar design as well? Either way it was discussed here and there was no outcry. The uniform is the same with the exception of the helmets and jersey/pants colors.

no they tend to wear a camo pattern, and last year or the year prior they weren't allowed to wear it because their camo numbers were unreadable

Jingoistic? No. Completely stupid? Yes. I'm sorry, but I agree with the statement that these are nothing but "look at me, I'm 'patriotic'" uniforms. I guess they think that violating the flag rules is "patriotic". There was a reason the flag rules were made, and this is why. This is no different than everyone wearing pink to support breast cancer. Just because you wear something that screams, "look at me" does not make you a better supporter than someone who doesn't. Here's a question to ask, "What do veterans of WWi, WWII, Vietnam, etc. think of these?" Those are "Patriotic Americans" who respect the flag and what it stands for. How many of these kids wearing these ridiculous uniforms respect the flag and understand what it means? I don't think these uniforms make the kids any more "patriotic" or the fans more "patriotic".

BYQZK3ZIUAAWmsF.jpg

What?!? A school actually using school colors and logos to create a unique look? Thanks, Nike!

The dog looks kinda dumb with his nose missing. Idk. Maybe that's just me.

And wait, what is unique about this? The logo on the gloves schtick that was overdone about three years ago? The cleats that look like every team-issued NFL cleat? (http://sportzandstuff.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/nike-nfl-team-gloves-2.jpg)

90758391980.gif

Archived