College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

The key is what someone mentioned earlier. It's not that cool uniforms are more important than facilities, or coaching staff. It's that new uniforms may draw a recruit in to a school, which can them close them with some of the other more important things.

It's the same principle as marketing/packaging design. A cool looking Coca-Cola can isn't the reason people drink coke. However, a cool can has the ability to draw someone in and make them pick up the product that they may not have otherwise.

Coca-cola is like the Alabama of soft drinks. They don't need a fancy can to make people try them. They're great and everyone knows it. However, some of the new, up-start soda companies need that standout can in order to push people towards trying it for the first time.

Why can't Maryland attract decent recruits? They have the elite uniform program.

They can't close them. And that's where all the other factors come in. I'm sure high school kids see Maryland's crazy uniforms and decide to look into them more, but then for one reason or another decide on a different program.

To go back to the soda analogy: say there's a new kind of Root Beer out. You walk through the store and it's got a really nice can design so you walk over and decide to buy some. Once you try it however, you realize that it doesn't taste very good. The can attracted you, but the product didn't convince you.

Same thing that you were describing.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't. I think if you ask 10 different recruits, they could all have them ranked differently. It's personal opinion. To some, playing at a major power is important but they don't care about the uniforms. The next guy may not care about the quality of his team but wants to go where there's nice facilities. Another guy may want to go somewhere that has the flashiest/newest uniforms but doesn't really care about the facilities.

Not care about the quality of the team? That's ridiculous.

Some players would rather go to a lesser quality team where they will get more playing time and even turn the program around and be the difference maker in doing so..

i don't. I think if you ask 10 different recruits, they could all have them ranked differently. It's personal opinion. To some, playing at a major power is important but they don't care about the uniforms. The next guy may not care about the quality of his team but wants to go where there's nice facilities. Another guy may want to go somewhere that has the flashiest/newest uniforms but doesn't really care about the facilities.

Not care about the quality of the team? That's ridiculous.

Some players would rather go to a lesser quality team where they will get more playing time and even turn the program around and be the difference maker in doing so..

That's a huge reach. Nonetheless unless you are a top flight recruit, most D1 prospects will get around 3 offers 5 if they are really lucky so your selection of school colors and uniforms will be a very short list to choose from.

I understand that the discussion by the very nature of this board skews very uni centric but the overall impact of the uniform as a determinant of school selection is way overblown. This is simply the fact that uniforms receive the vast majority of public attention because the general public is rarely privy to the other much more significant underpinnings of a major athletic program.

So many schools are so close that they all look for an edge over each other. Tradition could be that edge. Recent success could be that edge. Uniforms could be that edge. Helmets could be that edge. Apparel and shoes (legal) could be that edge. Facilities could be that edge.

So many schools are so close that they all look for an edge over each other. Tradition could be that edge. Recent success could be that edge. Uniforms could be that edge. Helmets could be that edge. Apparel and shoes (legal) could be that edge. Facilities could be that edge.

They are not all equal though. Think about it. You'd let the helmet or uniform be the determining factor over a brand new $100 million dollar training facility or playing in a newly remodeled stadium that routinely sells out? Uniforms and equipment are just that. As long as your program's equipment budget is better than average you aren't going to care that much.

I'm not saying all recruits think this way just the vast majority. There will always be exceptions to the rule but it's called a rule for a reason.

I'm not saying they are all equal but I'm also not going to pretend that everyone picks their school of choice based on the same reasons, heck even the same 10 reasons.

I'm saying if you have 2 schools that have a "brand new $100 million dollar training facility or playing in a newly remodeled stadium that routinely sells out" how does a 18 year old make their decision? Maybe its on proximity to home, maybe its on prestige of the program. But for some teenagers, it just may be the uniforms.

If a recruit's top 5 requirements for a school are equal between Alabama & Auburn, a 17-18 year old might be swayed by fancy uniforms and helmets or their shoe supplier.

Uniforms and Helmets probably are not the #1 on anyone's list of course, but so many schools are so equal in all of the things that matter, they are just trying to stand out anyway they can. For some schools that's flashy uniforms and helmets.

Plus lets not forget, the guys that are getting offers from Alabama and Auburn are guys getting 50 offers. And if they don't have an offer somewhere they can probably just ask. They can go wherever they want so those things just might matter to them.

I would just like to point out that Bobby Petrino will now screw up the Louisville Cardinals uniforms in 2014 like he did with the WKU Hilltoppers in 2013. How can a team go from

This:

Western-Kentucky-Hilltoppers.jpg

6694322.jpg

to THIS?

media_b5dda97f7bb341999213f62b8ab5cbca_t

110313_gsu_football_HS161.JPG

spacer.png

I really don't see any problems with either of the new uniforms, I believe that both sets are actually better than their predecessors.

Also, I doubt Petrino has anything to do with the uniforms, it's likely just the university deciding that it's a "New Era" because of the new coach, thus inspiring the want for some new uniforms.

I wouldn't count out that happening at Louisville though.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I really don't see any problems with either of the new uniforms, I believe that both sets are actually better than their predecessors.

Also, I doubt Petrino has anything to do with the uniforms, it's likely just the university deciding that it's a "New Era" because of the new coach, thus inspiring the want for some new uniforms.

He was directly involved with our new uniforms that added the anthracite uniforms. He spoke about it multiple times with the media.

I was visiting my former boss at WKU (Alma Mater & last job) when Petrino was first named the coach and we happened to be at Houchens Stadium (Football Complex) when the Equipment manager told us that the team where getting new uniforms because the new head coach wanted them. Therefore, that is what I was basing my post on.

spacer.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_N2E-BW4mw

I'm surprised nobody saw this coming. It looks like Adidas had already done this but Coach Strong held back on it. I don't think they could have gotten this together that quickly. This happened at the players meeting yesterday morning.

The player said if they work hard they get to wear this ensemble the first game.

PersonDivided-2-1.png

I'm surprised nobody saw this coming. It looks like Adidas had already done this but Coach Strong held back on it. I don't think they could have gotten this together that quickly. This happened at the players meeting yesterday morning.

The player said if they work hard they get to wear this ensemble the first game.

Pretty sure everyone saw this coming.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

Pretty sure everyone saw this coming.

I love sarcasm DERFFFF!

PersonDivided-2-1.png

Archived