College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would agree with you if I was an Illini fan. I have generally had a very favorable opinion of Nike designs but 2013 has been a severe disappointment for me. Everything seems very generic and "paint by numbers."

Protocol these days seems to be to fill in the half-circle sleeve panel and apply a custom number font with some arbitrarily selected bs reason for the typeset's inspiration. The blame truly lies with the teams for accepting such subpar work. None of these teams even look remotely different from one another.

While I think there are some definite flaws in the set, the only new identity refresh that I think works is Oregon State. That design at least conveys something unique and sets them apart in terms of design. Cal, UNC, West Virginia, UCF, etc all look like generic cookie cutter templates that fit the requirement of "kewl design, recruits will love them!"

I have to hand it to my school, UGA. At least with our "rebrand" (if that's even applicable- just a new secondary logo and fonts) we stuck to our guns and recognized what it means to convey the Georgia brand. The fonts are the only shift in identity and even then, they almost look like a rounder Chicago Bears throwback model. I love what we did- changed to all new materials and kept all collars, cuffs, and signature striping the same. Only 1 helmet, 2 jerseys and 1 pair of pants.

Edited for read-ability.

(And two spaces after sentences? Really? I don't get you people [and by "you people" I mean two-spaces-after-sentences people].)

Dude, we get it. If you'd like to enter into English 1101 mode, your efforts might be more effective with those who actually need the help. This is the second time in probably 8 months you've gotten onto me about petty details; the other being my use of an ellipsis. I didn't sign up onto the CCSLC to attend class nor do I feel like I am submitting sub par grammatical content. I fail to see the issue if I choose to use two spaces between sentences. At least I am consistent with every post. This was also the technique I was taught in the 1990s when computer usage became more mainstream in academics and I have not faltered with its application since. I will continue to use two spaces between each sentence. Please direct your efforts to those who cannot distinguish between "you're my friend" and "your my friend." Likewise, "their/there/they're" or "wear/where/were." Thank you.

The space thing was a little joke, no injury intended... Discussing the finer points of the written word is more fun with those who have a grasp on the "your/you're" usage than those who can barely read or write. Doing 2 things 8 months apart does not a trend make, but I'm sorry if you felt I was trying to insult you or single you out.

And I just added the paragraphing because I thought your post was well thought out but a block of text is intimidating, I was trying to make your cogent, well thought out post more easily digestible. Sorry if it seemed like anything other than that.

The space thing was a little joke, no injury intended... Discussing the finer points of the written word is more fun with those who have a grasp on the "your/you're" usage than those who can barely read or write. Doing 2 things 8 months apart does not a trend make, but I'm sorry if you felt I was trying to insult you or single you out.

And I just added the paragraphing because I thought your post was well thought out but a block of text is intimidating, I was trying to make your cogent, well thought out post more easily digestible. Sorry if it seemed like anything other than that.

All is well Tim, no problems. I appreciate that you saw my post as well thought out and constructive. I did not anticipate writing as much as I did, thus the continuous paragraph. I will say, though, if that was intended as humor, you may want to consider making it more apparent in the future. I mean this in no ill manner and am just trying to help. Sometimes what you say doesn't come across as such and it just seems like you're trying to bust our balls. Remember, just trying to help out! This is especially true considering a lot of context and emotion is sucked out of the words you type online because we lack the body language and verbal cues of the speaker.

Back to the content! Here is the Nike shot of WVU. Is it just me or are there discrepancies in the line thickness of the numbers? The width of the #1 looks wider than the lines of either the #8 or #9.

j91niq.jpg

WVU release video.

Instant Reaction: Really clean look..Real Simple...Nothing Too Flashy..kinda generic but I guess you can appreciate that in the era of flashy uniforms.

Matte helmets really do go with the clean look they have here, and the yellow helmet is real solid as well (wish Cal would have gotten one as well :( )

AND THANK YOU FOR NO BLACK/GREY/ANTHRACITE/STEEL/BFBS

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

All is well Tim, no problems. I appreciate that you saw my post as well thought out and constructive. I did not anticipate writing as much as I did, thus the continuous paragraph. I will say, though, if that was intended as humor, you may want to consider making it more apparent in the future. I mean this in no ill manner and am just trying to help. Sometimes what you say doesn't come across as such and it just seems like you're trying to bust our balls. Remember, just trying to help out! This is especially true considering a lot of context and emotion is sucked out of the words you type online because we lack the body language and verbal cues of the speaker.

This has been my biggest problem on this site since I got here, haha. My (IMO) playful humor comes off as dick mode in print. I think the last time I tried to make a joke on here was a year ago... Still too soon I guess.

________

And back to the point of this thread, what the hell is going on with number fonts? I thought we were told no gradients, patterns or same color as the jersey and yet in unveilings and spring games, we've seen all of those things. Our-Kansas especially confuses me because I thought Bielema was simplifying the uniform this year before getting a new set next year, no?

As far as gradients go, I think those are still out. I read an exchange from an Arkansas equipment guy on Twitter which seemed to imply that they were going to drop the gradients by the start of the season. If I had to guess, I think subtle patterns like the new Cal numbers wouldn't violate the new rules because they are still clearly distinct from the jersey color and are essentially still one color.

I wouldn't read into anything you see from spring games. Lots of schools wear the previous year's sets in spring and likely haven't even received their new shipments yet. However, this does vary from program to program. Florida has already debuted their new sets (just with the new number fonts if you hadn't seen them) in their spring game whereas Georgia has not. Really just a team-by-team thing. I'm sure each squad is on a different schedule for ordering and delivery.

Back to the content! Here is the Nike shot of WVU. Is it just me or are there discrepancies in the line thickness of the numbers? The width of the #1 looks wider than the lines of either the #8 or #9.

j91niq.jpg

Isn't that just because the 9 and the 8 on the blue jersey have a thin black (GRRRR!) outline on them that blends into the navy jersey, but the black and blue numbers on the yellow and white jerseys contrast more?

Also, without logos or knowing these are for WVU, don't these scream Pitt to anyone else, and wouldn't that be an issue? These look like toned down Pitt NPCR jerseys. IDK, maybe I'm crazy and unfunny.

j91niq.jpg

Isn't that just because the 9 and the 8 on the blue jersey have a thin black (GRRRR!) outline on them that blends into the navy jersey, but the black and blue numbers on the yellow and white jerseys contrast more?

Also, without logos or knowing these are for WVU, don't these scream Pitt to anyone else, and wouldn't that be an issue? These look like toned down Pitt NPCR jerseys. IDK, maybe I'm crazy and unfunny.

Upon closer looks, it appears you're right. I'm color blind so the black outlines weren't popping out at me all that much. I would also agree that these are incredibly similar to the Pitt unis a few years back. I seem to remember Pitt featuring more black on the back, though.

rlywe0.jpg

j91niq.jpg

"Style meets tradition", huh? Yeah, um...not in this guise. I mean, if nothing else they could've at least kept their last number set, to maintain some semblance of continuity, and because they at least halfway looked similar in style to the WV logo. This new set, supposedly derived from coal miners' pitchforks? Yeah—miss me with that one there.

AND THANK YOU FOR NO BLACK/GREY/ANTHRACITE/STEELBFBS

Might wanna look at the navy set a little bit closer.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Is it just me but does the WV Blue uniform look purple while the helmet looks blue.

The shoulder and armpit sections of the blue jersey looks black to me. I don't think it is though.

Of course it is. Facemask on the navy helmet is, too. Did you really think Nike could design a new set without adding black or grey?

BIT7iPICEAAZ6hA.jpg

(And two spaces after sentences? Really? I don't get you people [and by "you people" I mean two-spaces-after-sentences people].)

Interestingly I've done that my whole life. (removed space) I believe I was just taught incorrectly when I took typing class and never looked back. (removed space) Its only been in the last year that someone mentioned it to me and I had no idea I was doing it wrong so long!

Is it just me but does the WV Blue uniform look purple while the helmet looks blue.

The shoulder and armpit sections of the blue jersey looks black to me. I don't think it is though.

Of course it is. Facemask on the navy helmet is, too. Did you really think Nike could design a new set without adding black or grey?

BIT7iPICEAAZ6hA.jpg

Pitt looks great, but shouldn't that yellow be more of a mustard?

Also, no more space talk, let's keep this thread terrestrial.

Archived