Logos and uniforms that have run their course

kajeet

Not a logo that has run its course, but I cannot understand why no matter what the Bobcats tweak and revamp, they're still married to that horrible pseudo-Mavericks font. Arched, oblique, straight across, doesn't matter. It's horrid, and doesn't warrant being kept around in every single iteration.

I'm ready for the Mariners to try something new if they can make something that's not terrible. The 1990s redesign has been pretty well dragged through the muck at this point, and the M's aren't the sort of team that can't reinvent themselves.

I think Seattle teams need to Pittsburgh themselves, and all go crazy with highlighter green, teal, slate, rain gray and other colors that aren't. This includes the revamped Sonics too, my fondness for green/gold notwithstanding.

The Mariners' relationship with everyone else in the city is such that it won't happen, but "Seattle is the city for cuh-razy uniform designs!" seems like a worthy cause. The Sounders and Seahawks have made it work. The M's and Sonics should hop on board.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are still khaki color. However, the people who complained the most about these pants over the last couple of seasons are conspicuously quiet about Nike giving the Patriots, Lions and Saints matte pants, too. Even if the 49ers used shiny pants the last few seasons, they would still be wearing matte pants now.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

They are still khaki color. However, the people who complained the most about these pants over the last couple of seasons are conspicuously quiet about Nike giving the Patriots, Lions and Saints matte pants, too. Even if the 49ers used shiny pants the last few seasons, they would still be wearing matte pants now.

They are some funky mustard color now. But you're right about the matte pants. Nike has ruined some looks for me especially in college football (Ohio State and Georgia come right to mind). The matte pants and shiny helmet inconsistency drives me nuts.

Not a logo that has run its course, but I cannot understand why no matter what the Bobcats tweak and revamp, they're still married to that horrible pseudo-Mavericks font. Arched, oblique, straight across, doesn't matter. It's horrid, and doesn't warrant being kept around in every single iteration.

I'm ready for the Mariners to try something new if they can make something that's not terrible. The 1990s redesign has been pretty well dragged through the muck at this point, and the M's aren't the sort of team that can't reinvent themselves.

I think Seattle teams need to Pittsburgh themselves, and all go crazy with highlighter green, teal, slate, rain gray and other colors that aren't. This includes the revamped Sonics too, my fondness for green/gold notwithstanding.

The Mariners' relationship with everyone else in the city is such that it won't happen, but "Seattle is the city for cuh-razy uniform designs!" seems like a worthy cause. The Sounders and Seahawks have made it work. The M's and Sonics should hop on board.

Between their traditional-untraditional uniform design and a color palette unique to the NBA, I think the Sonics can come up with something progressive without getting away from their colors. It feels weird to talk about the Sonics again like they're back already, by the way.

The Mariners, though, I'm ready for them to try some neon green or something funky. Between midnight navy, teal, and that Ravens/Diamondbacks/ATLHawks/Wizards/Warriors typeface, it's just getting so '90s, and not in the good way, but the bad way, like the band Live. The Griffey era is such a distant memory. It's time to let go.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Except for the drop shadow numbers & the logo on there six times

Yeah, those uniforms were a bit "overdone". Adding black and drop-shadowing. I think they had kind of run their course. What I always wanted the Niners to do (both before and after these uniforms were implemented) was to work gold into the jerseys. The jerseys being devoid of gold is what really hurt that look. Gold outlines around the numbers would make today's look much better without adding black and trying to get trendy in other ways.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

These were so much better:

Ownes.jpg628x471.jpg

No, they weren't. The darker red was bad, the addition of black was bad, the helmet and pants stripes were bad, the logos in the middle of the pants and sleeve stripes were bad and the drop shadow was bad. But other than that, they were good.

Besides, as I said before, even if the 49ers had stuck with that set, they would be wearing khaki pants now due to Nike.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

bvv028jd1hhr8ee8ii7a0fg4i.gif

Time for the Clippers to abandon this and establish their own identity. Always have played second fiddle to the Lakers, now they have star power and people are starting to take notice of them. However, it doesn't help when your logo looks very close to a rival team that plays in the same building and has been very successful and has excellent brand recognition.

70389454.png

On 1/10/2013 at 11:33 AM, ksupilot said:

Time for the Clippers to abandon this and establish their own identity. Always have played second fiddle to the Lakers, now they have star power and people are starting to take notice of them. However, it doesn't help when your logo looks very close to a rival team that plays in the same building and has been very successful and has excellent brand recognition.

It's hard to argue with this, but I actually like the Clippers uniforms enough that I can deal with this logo. I don't want them messing with this basic, yet great, color scheme and trying too get to clever. Ideally, they'd leave the uniforms and just make a better logo, but since a logo change would probably come with uniforms that add black or grey, I kinda hope they stand pat, despite the terrible, Laker-copy logo.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It's hard to argue with this, but I actually like the Clippers uniforms enough that I can deal with this logo. I don't want them messing with this basic, yet great, color scheme and trying to get to clever. Ideally, they'd leave the uniforms and just make a better logo, but since a logo change would probably come with uniforms that add black or grey, I kinda hope they stand pat, despite the terrible, Laker-copy logo.

Keep the colors and uniforms for sure, then just make a better logo

70389454.png

Time for both the Clippers AND the Lakers to get better logos.

Also, I still hope the Clippers will see reason eventually and go back to their San Diego color scheme.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Hence, the reason why their 3rds should be their future homes...

107188680_display_image.jpg

Just no... These uniforms are absolutely awful from the unnecessary phantom shoulder yoke to the overdesigned striping. Come to think of it, the entire Duck;s identity has run it's course. I could live with the colour palette but please ditch the swoosh-striping, the wordmark logo and that awful number font.

Ownes.jpg628x471.jpg

No, they weren't. The darker red was bad, the addition of black was bad, the helmet and pants stripes were bad, the logos in the middle of the pants and sleeve stripes were bad and the drop shadow was bad. But other than that, they were good.

Besides, as I said before, even if the 49ers had stuck with that set, they would be wearing khaki pants now due to Nike.

Only if the Niners had chosen to do so—remember, the Buccaneers chose to stick with their "former fabrication" under the new agreement. And to be fair, the Niners' pants were already flat matte pre-Nike as well.

In regards to the above uniforms, the sleeve and pants logos were superfluous, I'll give you that. And I still don't know why they opted for the gold-trimmed pants stripes rather than a simpler braisher akin to the helmets. But other than that, those previous uniforms were a great example of a/ how to tastefully add black to enhance, and speaking of the black, b/ a faithful update to a previous uniform in the Niners' history re: the dropshadowed numbers. (Specifically, an update to the era the Niners threw back to in '94, which also included black trim and dropshadows.) Not to mention it also kinda evoked a bit of an "old western" vibe.

But...they instead opted for the "mental gymnastics" approach and as such, we now have the current sets. (What I don't understand is why they kept the helmet logo the same while entire rest of the set is a throwback to the '80s...seems to me someone should've addressed that, too.)

Late edit: anyone know if the specific type of block shown above and also currently worn by the Buccaneers has a name? There's Ripon block, Wilson Block, Champion Block...what about that type? I've long been curious about that.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

They are some funky mustard color now. But you're right about the matte pants. Nike has ruined some looks for me especially in college football (Ohio State and Georgia come right to mind). The matte pants and shiny helmet inconsistency drives me nuts.

im surely minority here but i like the matte pants and gloss helmet. reason being is its 2 different materials; i think shiny clothing is just a bit ridiculous. and im a big fan of the 49ers current lok for what its worth

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Ownes.jpg628x471.jpg

To each their own, but I personally like the set a lot more than they have now.

spacer.png

I also hated the dark, drab red the Niners were using with that set. Their merchandise was almost eggplant.

I think SF has an almost-perfect uniform now. I liked their "updated" look for a while, but it's a perfect example of a look that turned very stale and started showing all its flaws.

Archived