Logos and uniforms that have run their course

kajeet

Only if the Niners had chosen to do so—remember, the Buccaneers chose to stick with their "former fabrication" under the new agreement. And to be fair, the Niners' pants were already flat matte pre-Nike as well.

In regards to the above uniforms, the sleeve and pants logos were superfluous, I'll give you that. And I still don't know why they opted for the gold-trimmed pants stripes rather than a simpler braisher akin to the helmets. But other than that, those previous uniforms were a great example of a/ how to tastefully add black to enhance, and speaking of the black, b/ a faithful update to a previous uniform in the Niners' history re: the dropshadowed numbers. (Specifically, an update to the era the Niners threw back to in '94, which also included black trim and dropshadows.) Not to mention it also kinda evoked a bit of an "old western" vibe.

But...they instead opted for the "mental gymnastics" approach and as such, we now have the current sets. (What I don't understand is why they kept the helmet logo the same while entire rest of the set is a throwback to the '80s...seems to me someone should've addressed that, too.)

Late edit: anyone know if the specific type of block shown above and also currently worn by the Buccaneers has a name? There's Ripon block, Wilson Block, Champion Block...what about that type? I've long been curious about that.

True, the Niners would have had the option of keeping the shiny pants, but considering all the teams which didn't keep the old stuff, I would assume there would have been a better chance than not of them making the switch to matte this year.

I think the previous set looked good. It wasn't a bad uniform by any means. It would have been fine for an expansion team or a team in any other league. However, it wasn't right for the 49ers, IMO. And it's not just because a team shouldn't move away from a look it won four Super Bowls in (which it shouldn't). It's because I think the classic look was far superior. I think the cherry red looks far better and far more distinctive with gold. The last set could have just as well been worn by Boston College or Florida State, but the current colors are uniquely SF. They went from a bright, bold set to a much drabber set, darkening the red AND adding black. It then was made even more drab by removing the white from the helmet/pants stripes and using black instead.

If they had to incorporate black into the set, they could have just as easily kept the brighter red, added the dropshadow and possibly added black into the striping pattern. It would have looked good, but I don't think it would have been necessary. I know they used black accents and dropshadow in their past, but that didn't mean they needed to bring it back. Look no farther than the last Bills set to see the follies of trying to incorporate obscure colors from short-lived sets in the past.

I do agree that it was strange that they recolored the the last logo instead of bringing back the old one. I personally think the old one was much better. Regardless, I imagine they did that because the new logo allowed them to incorporate gold into the logo.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last updated 49ers set might of worked with matching pants/helmet stripes and the current red. The black would have been more visible if paired with cherry red. Darkening the red while also adding black was a huge mistake.

I'm okay with the Bucks' reds, but they've run their course regardless. In all honesty, wouldn't miss these much, especially if they got replaced by something Irish rainbow-inspired.

130109224015-010913-brandon-jennings-bucks-bulls-recap.mobile-t1.jpg

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

sabres-celebrate-after-overtime-win-philadelphia._76.jpg

I used to think it was a pretty good modernization, now they just make me hungry for the originals to return. Ditch the unnecessary silver and bring back royal blue. It sounds like the new third jersey will be a step in this direction, thankfully.

I'd say this combination has run its course:

hi-res-158527012_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75

They should go back to this:

Chris+Johnson+St+Louis+Rams+v+Tennessee+Titans+eyTb1_LP4nXx.jpg

very much agreed.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

As a Vikings fan, I definitely have a love/hate relationship with their current uniforms. Sometimes I think they just look so good, while other times I'm almost disgusted with them. I'd say they already look dated, they were definitely trying too hard when they came up with them, and it's time for something new (or old).

hi-res-154762686_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75

I read somewhere that the Vikings are actually considering going "throwback" full time. Don't know how true this is though.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

This got old in the 80s. Historically linked, yes. Bland, yes.

uspw_6703780_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75

These were so much better:

Ownes.jpg628x471.jpg

I have to disagree. Simple is always better, drop shadows are ugly, and if black isn't one of your two primary colors, it shouldn't be used in your uniform IMO.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I'm okay with the Bucks' reds, but they've run their course regardless. In all honesty, wouldn't miss these much, especially if they got replaced by something Irish rainbow-inspired.

130109224015-010913-brandon-jennings-bucks-bulls-recap.mobile-t1.jpg

I love the classic template. Just make them in green and white, with "Bucks" similarly arched. But yeah, I think that game with the Bulls is proof why they shouldn't have a red base.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As a Vikings fan, I definitely have a love/hate relationship with their current uniforms. Sometimes I think they just look so good, while other times I'm almost disgusted with them. I'd say they already look dated, they were definitely trying too hard when they came up with them, and it's time for something new (or old).

hi-res-154762686_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75

I read somewhere that the Vikings are actually considering going "throwback" full time. Don't know how true this is though.

Hopefully it's very true.

very much agreed.

For good measure, here's every combination they're ever worn:

QubVv.jpg

That's every possible combination but light blue over white.

Dark over white: worn regularly until 2005, last worn in 2008

Dark over dark: first worn in 2006, last worn in 2008

Dark over light: worn once, in 2007

Light over light: first worn in 2006, last worn in 2009

Light over dark: first worn in 2004, became primary in 2006

White over light: first worn in 2006, became primary same year

White over white: worn twice, once in 2002 and once in 2006

White over dark: worn regularly until 2006, last worn in 2010

Light over white was worn never (sigh)

They were interesting in 2006-2009, wearing seven combinations in 2006, six in 2007, five in 2008, five in 2009 (including home and away throwbacks), three in 2010 and only the two dreadfully boring primaries ever since.

The best combos:

Light over dark, but needs white socks

White over light with navy socks

Dark over light with navy socks

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

very much agreed.

For good measure, here's every combination they're ever worn:

QubVv.jpg

That's every possible combination but light blue over white.

Dark over white: worn regularly until 2005, last worn in 2008

Dark over dark: first worn in 2006, last worn in 2008

Dark over light: worn once, in 2007

Light over light: first worn in 2006, last worn in 2009

Light over dark: first worn in 2004, became primary in 2006

White over light: first worn in 2006, became primary same year

White over white: worn twice, once in 2002 and once in 2006

White over dark: worn regularly until 2006, last worn in 2010

Light over white was worn never (sigh)

They were interesting in 2006-2009, wearing seven combinations in 2006, six in 2007, five in 2008, five in 2009 (including home and away throwbacks), three in 2010 and only the two dreadfully boring primaries ever since.

Of all those combos, about 2-3 of them look good. The rest look like :censored:.

They should go back to this:

Chris+Johnson+St+Louis+Rams+v+Tennessee+Titans+eyTb1_LP4nXx.jpg

very much agreed.

Wow... look how much better BOTH of these teams look. My preference would be for the Titans and Rams to both get new looks, but I have to say these looked much better in these combos.

It's unfathomable to think that the Rams got rid of the gold pants. Moronic.

Archived