2013 NCAA FOOTBALL THREAD

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU

I didn't bring up Boise State in the rolling discussion, but I'm not one to pass up a cheap shot when a hanging curveball is just sitting there....

So in other words, you're blatantly baiting. Good to know. :rolleyes:

And you take the bait every single time. ;)

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't call Southern Utah over South Alabama, or Samford over Georgia State, upsets. South Alabama's in their second season of FBS play , and that was Georgia State's first game as an FBS program.

Agreed, but we are in for a wild year.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Can't blame it all on Murray, the O-Line gave him no time.

Gurley/Marshall is the best RB combo in the NCAA.

Sure, the O-line didn't have a good game (so much for experience), and that high snap killing the FG attempt was huge, but these are the games where the QB has to step up, and Murray kinda disappeared once Georgia was up 21-14. On that FG-attempting drive, Georgia ran the ball three times on the goal-to-go situation.....you'd think Murray would be given a chance to make a play (unless he was scared, which would go back to the pants-pooping). Then, on the most important drive of the game, the drive stalls (including a 3-yard pass on like 3rd-and-10) and Georgia punts.

I was getting the feel of either the coaching staff didn't have much faith in Murray when a clutch play was needed, or Murray took the pressure off himself by handing the ball off or getting rid of the ball quickly on a 3rd-and-long play.

Murray may break a bunch of offensive SEC records, but his legacy is going to be one of being a bigger choke artist than Peyton Manning.

It sound like you've already given up on Murray, and you guys still have South Carolina, LSU, Florida, and possibly an SEC Championship to play.

Georgia still controls their own destiny, they can easily make the national championship, the season isn't lost for you guys just yet...

Oh, I'm not giving up on the season. If there's a game I can handle Georgia losing, it's to Clemson. It's the first game of the year against an non-conference opponent....there's plenty to learn about yourself when playing a quality opponent than there is blowing out some cupcake school. It doesn't affect them winning the conference, which is what's more important (winning a national championship is great, but that's ultimately dependent on things you can't control).

I'm not as sold on Murray, though. Good QB, but he just always comes up short when the spotlight gets brighter. Clemson's defense isn't all that good, and Murray still didn't come through in the clutch. The running game bailed Murray out a bit. But like I said, on the two drives Georgia needed most against Clemson (the drive after Clemson went up 31-28, and the drive after Clemson went up 38-28), Murray handed the ball off three times on goal-to-go inside the 5, and he threw to the TE well short of the first down on 3rd-and-long, and Georgia came up with zero points on those two drives.

I'm not confident that Murray will do well against South Carolina, LSU, or Florida (even though thoe first two are at home, and the third's on neutral soil). I hope I'm wrong. I'll be glad to be wrong about Murray. His track record is one where he wilts when the heat gets turned up. Clowney himself said he saw fear in Murray's eyes last year, and as much as I want to defend Murray (it was later found out he had some things on his mind due to family in Tampa, then came home to his house being egg'd)....Clowney's got a point.

I think ND State could do good in the FBS given the chance. But then again, they would have to start in a smaller conference like the Mountain West, MAC, or even the AAC (just look at that conference. Louisville will only be there for a year and they will be the best team the Conference will ever see)

Try the MAC.

I still think they outta just do away with FBS/FCS completely and make it one division, if you don't have enough scholarships to be competitive too bad so sad then you get whopped, plain and simple

There are also minimum numbers of sports to be supported in both I-A and I-AA, with I-A requiring more. I-AA schools can't afford to add more sports.

wait what? FBS and FCS is only football im not sure what adding sports has to do with that when they just merge it............and the attendance thing is silly cause its the only sport in the NCAA that has that rule, u see 300 plus teams in basketball with a few teams with only 1000 people or less in the arena....

It's almost as if the Division I split is based on money....OH WAIT.

So Johnny football talks smack and was cocky after a td and got a unsportsmanlike conduct pentaly and sumlin takes him out of the game after that, good for him, I think Texas A&M might become the most hated college football team by seasons end

Aggie could napalm an orphanage and still wouldn't pass Alabama.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Have we had a player ejected for Targeting yet ?

Indiana State had one get tossed Thursday against Indiana.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Down goes #25 Oregon State! Haven't had an FCS team upset a Top 25 team in a long time (2007, I think).

James Madison over Virginia Tech, Week 2 of 2010. The Hokies actually ended up winning the ACC.

Also Louisville's SOS is already taking on water; 6 of their next 8 opponents lost this week. ACK! ACK! ACK!

Today, we are all otaku.

As a lover of upsets, I'm hoping the FCS' performance so far this week is an omen that we're in for another 2007-esque season.

Eww, no, not at all. 2007 was one of the worst seasons I have ever seen in the NCF levels because I don't see how anyone benefited from the top two spots in the rankings changing every week.

LSU lost their final game before the SEC Championship in three OT's at home to Arkansas. They won the SEC Championship (against, who, Tennessee? Georgia was really good that year but it definitely wasn't them) and managed to sneak in the backdoor because Mizzou lost to Oklahoma in the Big XII Championship and Pat White suffered a freak injury and WVU lost to a non-bowl Pitt team in Morgantown. Hell, going back further, didn't Ohio State losing their final game, at home, to Illinois?

It was stupid. The anarchy could be fun, but that's not the way football should be. I like quality more than anarchy.

I remember the BC-VT game that year. Thursday nighter, and Tech was up 10-0 and 2 minutes were left. We had that thing in the frickin' bag.

Then somehow, BC came back to score 2 TD's (and 1 was held back by a holding call) That game scared me for life.

Then BC lost the next game the following week at home to Florida St.

But we got our revenge in the title game, and we finished #3 at the end of that year. And we beat Kansas in the Orange Bowl.

If we had held on we would've possibly gone to the national championship. (Although everyone would've thought LSU deserved it more becuase LSU dispatched VT earlier that year 48-7 in Death Valley.)

If by "beat" you mean "lost by a field goal" then yes, Virginia Tech "beat" Kansas in the Orange Bowl.

Today, we are all otaku.

Screw Boise... I'm glad they lost, it truly shows their BCS busting years ended when Kellen Moore left campus

Let me know when Boise State has this:

DonVirginiaTech_zps284713c8.jpg

Georgia's defense beat Florida last year. Murray tried his best to give the Gators the game.

It's always good to see Boise State take it up the shorts. Their resident fanboy turned that lovable story into a despised entity rather quickly. At least the Boise State QB is a good student.

It's crazy, isn't it? Prior to Lights Out joining the forum, pretty much everyone on this site had a rooting interest in Boise State doing well. Now, they're a pariah. Some of that has to do with LO's (turned-down) bombast, but a lot of it has to do with season after season of disappointment.

Glad to see them get blown out of the water so we can avoid the "will they?" story this year. And doubly glad because it's my grad alma mater. UW is looking good tonight. I hope they figure out a way to win without the flash cards though; they look stupid.

Boise State was never going to be the "will they" story this year. This year's story was going to be Louisville and their race to avoid terminal diabetes. I suppose I should add that two of Louisville's opponents got destroyed by I-AA opponents this week.

Today, we are all otaku.

Glad to see them get blown out of the water so we can avoid the "will they?" story this year. And doubly glad because it's my grad alma mater. UW is looking good tonight. I hope they figure out a way to win without the flash cards though; they look stupid.

How is UW unranked? They're a very solid and experienced team. Sankey and Price are pretty impressive.

That depends entirely on how one likes to use a preseason ranking.

If one bases your list on the roster talent, then you COULD Washington could be in the 20-"Others Receving Votes" range.

BUT

If one bases your list on how you think a team will finish, you DO NOT rank Washington at all as their history under Sarkesian is that they are no better than a 7-win team who is able to beat one team they should not be able to but also lost to two (or more) teams which they are more talented than.

I like Ohio, but I knew coming in this would be a tough game. Didn't know it would be this tough though. I think that, with how easy Louisville's schedule is, they could go undefeated this year. Clemson should be the same as well as Ohio State. I don't see the SEC going undefeated this year.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Why the hell is Florida State-Pitt on Monday?

It's Labor Day Weekend.

Trying to figure out exactly what Pitt did to warrant a spot in a nationally televised game on Labor Day. You'd think the Clemson/Georgia game would have had that slot seeing how it was the marquee game of the weekend.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Since league expansion started, the ACC has liked to welcome teams to the league with Florida State at home and usually as the first ACC game. Miami in 2004, 2005 Boston College, Pitt in 2013, and things are working out perfectly for Louisville in 2014. Louisville is taking over Maryland's slot in the ACC and FSU was scheduled to travel to Maryland in 2014. I could see the ACC pushing these two to meet early in the season, especially if both have good to great 2013s.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Down goes #25 Oregon State! Haven't had an FCS team upset a Top 25 team in a long time (2007, I think).

James Madison over Virginia Tech, Week 2 of 2010. The Hokies actually ended up winning the ACC.

Also Louisville's SOS is already taking on water; 6 of their next 8 opponents lost this week. ACK! ACK! ACK!

Ok, I'll give you that, but you have to realize Tech lost an exhausting game the previous Monday against Boise 33-30, and was playing on 4-day rest, that hardly counts. Not nearly as bad as Mich-Appalachian St. was. Plus, we dispatched everyone we played after that game and then got blown out of the water by Stanford in the bowl game.

As a lover of upsets, I'm hoping the FCS' performance so far this week is an omen that we're in for another 2007-esque season.

Eww, no, not at all. 2007 was one of the worst seasons I have ever seen in the NCF levels because I don't see how anyone benefited from the top two spots in the rankings changing every week.

LSU lost their final game before the SEC Championship in three OT's at home to Arkansas. They won the SEC Championship (against, who, Tennessee? Georgia was really good that year but it definitely wasn't them) and managed to sneak in the backdoor because Mizzou lost to Oklahoma in the Big XII Championship and Pat White suffered a freak injury and WVU lost to a non-bowl Pitt team in Morgantown. Hell, going back further, didn't Ohio State losing their final game, at home, to Illinois?

It was stupid. The anarchy could be fun, but that's not the way football should be. I like quality more than anarchy.

I remember the BC-VT game that year. Thursday nighter, and Tech was up 10-0 and 2 minutes were left. We had that thing in the frickin' bag.

Then somehow, BC came back to score 2 TD's (and 1 was held back by a holding call) That game scared me for life.

Then BC lost the next game the following week at home to Florida St.

But we got our revenge in the title game, and we finished #3 at the end of that year. And we beat Kansas in the Orange Bowl.

If we had held on we would've possibly gone to the national championship. (Although everyone would've thought LSU deserved it more becuase LSU dispatched VT earlier that year 48-7 in Death Valley.)

If by "beat" you mean "lost by a field goal" then yes, Virginia Tech "beat" Kansas in the Orange Bowl.

I swore we beat them that year, I had to look that one up, I just remember beating them, whatever you got me.

Screw Boise... I'm glad they lost, it truly shows their BCS busting years ended when Kellen Moore left campus

Let me know when Boise State has this:

DonVirginiaTech_zps284713c8.jpg

You know VT is no cupcake you know? We have won 4 ACC titles (Since 04 BTW) and is one of 2 ACC teams to actually win a BCS Bowl Game! Plus, that Michigan game should count as a win anyway, we just got screwed by the refs in that one.

In a way creating a Quixotic trophy case that will never be filled pretty much is on par with that annual Boise State "debate". Of course if we want to discuss Virginia Tech's history, I believe the program built itself pre-Beamer by kicking the crap out of a bunch of cupcakes. So yeah....

Also for 2010, Appalachian State was the defending I-AA champion and would go on to win it again in 2007. 2010 James Madison finished 8th in their Conference and missed the I-AA playoffs. That looks plenty bad to me.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived