2013 NCAA FOOTBALL THREAD

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU

I'm kind of surprised how everyone is so inclined to rank Bama 1, and Oregon and FSU have to fight over 2 and 3. I mean Bama has looked good, but who have they played? Oregon and FSU have dominated against ranked opponents 3 saturday nights in a row. Who cares if you can beat Tennessee by 35? They're only good win has been against A&M, yet they had some major trouble closing them out. Of course, that's going to change with games against LSU, and Auburn, plus the SEC title. But I don't honestly believe Bama is better than FSU or Oregon.

Alabama isn't being regarded as an unstoppable force this year because their first two games were nationally televised, unimpressive victories. They've been dominant since then and have a chance to add 3 more victories over top-10 teams before the #1 and 2 teams are finally chosen. Oregon and FSU have been dominant all year. FSU's schedule favors them getting 5 more blowouts to finish undefeated and relatively unchallenged. Oregon needs to manhandle Stanford in a game that might be difficult to win at all. If all 3 finish undefeated, it looks like Oregon will be the one that's shut out of the NCG.

An undefeated team that is defending consecutive national titles is not being left out of the national championship.

PJU85JF.png

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kind of surprised how everyone is so inclined to rank Bama 1, and Oregon and FSU have to fight over 2 and 3. I mean Bama has looked good, but who have they played? Oregon and FSU have dominated against ranked opponents 3 saturday nights in a row. Who cares if you can beat Tennessee by 35? They're only good win has been against A&M, yet they had some major trouble closing them out. Of course, that's going to change with games against LSU, and Auburn, plus the SEC title. But I don't honestly believe Bama is better than FSU or Oregon.

Alabama isn't being regarded as an unstoppable force this year because their first two games were nationally televised, unimpressive victories. They've been dominant since then and have a chance to add 3 more victories over top-10 teams before the #1 and 2 teams are finally chosen. Oregon and FSU have been dominant all year. FSU's schedule favors them getting 5 more blowouts to finish undefeated and relatively unchallenged. Oregon needs to manhandle Stanford in a game that might be difficult to win at all. If all 3 finish undefeated, it looks like Oregon will be the one that's shut out of the NCG.

An undefeated team that is defending consecutive national titles is not being left out of the national championship.

Since I'm kind of thrown into this I'm just going to compare Alabama Oregon and Florida St. right now as of what I've seen today.

Alabama: Beat A&M on the road by 7, shutout then-ranked Ole Miss at home, offense struggled against Tech in the opener. Manhandled everyone else. Looks good, once again. But the competition hasn't been great. Has a tough slate left with LSU at home, and Auburn on the road and presumably an SEC Title against likely Mizzouri or South Carolina.

Oregon: Usual Oregon. Has beaten 2 ranked opponents by 20+ points. Scored 40 in every game, 50 against every unranked team. Unprecedented offense, average defense, has a major test ahead at Stanford. Plays at Arizona in a potential "trap game" and then plays the Civil War. Potential conference title against ASU, UCLA, or even USC. Also, since both teams have played Tennessee. I'll compare them. Alabama won by 35, Oregon won by 45.

Florida St. Has looked like the #1 team IMO. Has scored 40+ points on everyone they've played. Complete team. Has demolished 2 Top 10 teams on Saturday Night football, only close game was at a surprisingly good BC team up in Boston. They still won by 2 scores. Non-lethal slate ahead against Wake, Syracuse, Idaho, and Florida. ACC Title game will likely be against Miami or either of the Tech(s)

I'm not neccasarily saying Alabama is worse than them. But everybody has been so quick to rank Bama #1, and let FSU and Oregon duke it out for 2 and 3. Although Alabama may play in the best conference they haven't played against the major opponents on their schedule.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

If I

I wish we had the playoff system now, it would set up perfectly this year. 4 unbeatens, 4 spots in the playoff. I don't see Ohio St. FSU, Oregon, or Alabama losing another game this year. This year kind of reminds me of 04, when Auburn got left out and had to play in the Sugar Bowl. Alabama could lose, they have LSU at home, and Auburn on the road, but I can't see the others losing, especially if Oregon beats Stanford thursday night.

Also, isn't it really sad when they're advertising Thursday Night games on Saturday Night Football?

So you are discounting Baylor, Fresno State, and Northern Illinois as being unbeaten in four weeks?

And networks advertise their own programming, thus future programs are advertised.

If I

I wish we had the playoff system now, it would set up perfectly this year. 4 unbeatens, 4 spots in the playoff. I don't see Ohio St. FSU, Oregon, or Alabama losing another game this year. This year kind of reminds me of 04, when Auburn got left out and had to play in the Sugar Bowl. Alabama could lose, they have LSU at home, and Auburn on the road, but I can't see the others losing, especially if Oregon beats Stanford thursday night.

Also, isn't it really sad when they're advertising Thursday Night games on Saturday Night Football?

So you are discounting Baylor, Fresno State, and Northern Illinois as being unbeaten in four weeks?

And networks advertise their own programming, thus future programs are advertised.

Tell me how many ranked teams those 3 have combined to beat... my point. Their not up their in the rankings and haven't played the competition worthy of a playoff spot. Ohio State, FSU, Oregon, and Alabama have.

Tell me how many ranked teams those 3 have combined to beat... my point. Their not up their in the rankings and haven't played the competition worthy of a playoff spot. Ohio State, FSU, Oregon, and Alabama have.

God knows that the last thing I want to do is give you a reason to talk, but Ohio State hasn't exactly played a murderer's row of a schedule this season. Baylor is every bit as deserving of their ranking as Ohio State is. Hell, if the Buckeyes played Baylor, I'd put my money on the Bears.

I'm sure I'll regret asking this question, but what exactly is "sad" about ESPN/ABC promoting Oregon - Stanford during the game Saturday night? It's a helluva matchup, it's going to play a role in the NC picture, and last time I checked, ESPN and ABC cross promote all the time. It's a common practice in broadcasting.

BB52Big.jpg

Yeah, it looks like Michigan ain't what we thought the were. They aren't back to being Michigan yet. Not sure if they ever will, this team could 7-5 with their upcoming schedule.

Michigan is back to being Michigan, a seven to nine win team who will lose game in ways you cannot imagine. This one after a BYE week.

They are a Clemson with actual championship history.

What about 1981?

Perrytuttle1981_display_image.jpg?132668

PvO6ZWJ.png

God knows that the last thing I want to do is give you a reason to talk, but Ohio State hasn't exactly played a murderer's row of a schedule this season. Baylor is every bit as deserving of their ranking as Ohio State is. Hell, if the Buckeyes played Baylor, I'd put my money on the Bears.

I'm sure I'll regret asking this question, but what exactly is "sad" about ESPN/ABC promoting Oregon - Stanford during the game Saturday night? It's a helluva matchup, it's going to play a role in the NC picture, and last time I checked, ESPN and ABC cross promote all the time. It's a common practice in broadcasting.

Um... there's a football game in front of you.

You know, it's sad when I'm watching the early NFL game on CBS and they have to advertise they also have second NFL game later in the day. Because like, c'mon guys, the early game is on right now.

You know, it's sad when I'm watching Game 1 of the World Series and they have to advertise that Game 2 is also tomorrow. Because like, c'mon guys, Game 1 is on right now.

You know, it's sad when I'm watching a TV show and the network then shows an advertisement for another TV show on that network that is on later in the week. Because like, c'mon guys, I'm watching this show right now.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

You know, it's sad when I'm watching the early NFL game on CBS and they have to advertise they also have second NFL game later in the day. Because like, c'mon guys, the early game is on right now.

You know, it's sad when I'm watching Game 1 of the World Series and they have to advertise that Game 2 is also tomorrow. Because like, c'mon guys, Game 1 is on right now.

You know, it's sad when I'm watching a TV show and the network then shows an advertisement for another TV show on that network that is on later in the week. Because like, c'mon guys, I'm watching this show right now.

At least you aren't watching Fox...

The World Series was on FOX....

And way to acknowledge that your point was ridiculous and that my examples proved that by not responding to my point.

And way to acknowledge that your point was ridiculous and that my examples proved that by not responding to my point.

No, I don't agree with your point. Not at all. But it's not worth ragging on about anymore. i guess the rest of you don't get the point, I don't know maybe I have some sort of crazy-outlandish stance that nobody's ever had before.

The Baylor schedule is back loaded with ranked teams and teams who are ranked after voters have seen them.

Northern Illinois gets coach/SID votes and Fresno has barely won against bad teams, yet has a better sos.

I was comparing the teams as of what they've done as of November 3rd 2013. So Baylor's future schedule has no effect on this.

Much to the surprise of...well...no one, you obviously don't understand how TV works. See, the goal of a channel is to keep people watching their channel over the others. In order to help do that, networks promote their programming. For example: if on Saturday I'm watching Penn State - Ohio State on ABC/ESPN, they would like me to watch their Thursday game as well. So they play a promo during the game I'm watching. The promo basically says "Hey, 'red, guess what! We're going to show another football game this Thursday. Here's what time it's on and here's who's playing. We'd sure like it if you watched our Thursday game too." They can't simply assume that everyone in their audience is as dialed into sports as were are around here. That is just one of the many reasons networks cross promote. Get it?

BB52Big.jpg

Much to the surprise of...well...no one, you obviously don't understand how TV works. See, the goal of a channel is to keep people watching their channel over the others. In order to help do that, networks promote their programming. For example: if on Saturday I'm watching Penn State - Ohio State on ABC/ESPN, they would like me to watch their Thursday game as well. So they play a promo during the game I'm watching. The promo basically says "Hey, 'red, guess what! We're going to show another football game this Thursday. Here's what time it's on and here's who's playing. We'd sure like it if you watched our Thursday game too." They can't simply assume that everyone in their audience is as dialed into sports as were are around here. That is just one of the many reasons networks cross promote. Get it?

Well that's one way to look at it. But I thought of it like "Oh ya, this game sucks so watch this one next week, because this matchup is better than the other and the one you're watching now sucks".

No, I don't agree with your point. Not at all. But it's not worth ragging on about anymore. i guess the rest of you don't get the point, I don't know maybe I have some sort of crazy-outlandish stance that nobody's ever had before.

Ok, then enlighten us. What is your point? What exactly is your stance here? That a network shouldn't advertise and promote its programming? Because if that's your "crazy-outlandish stance", then 'red broke it down pretty simply for you.

Well that's one way to look at it. But I thought of it like "Oh ya, this game sucks so watch this one next week, because this matchup is better than the other and the one you're watching now sucks".

That's not one way to look at it. That is THE way to look at it. They would have done that whether it was 42-42 or 42-14.

Hate to break it to you, chief, but game promos are planned well in advance of the game they're run in. You were going to get Oregon - Stanford promos no matter what the score happened to be in the Miami - FSU game. Why? Because it's a huge matchup and ABC/ESPN wants to get as many eyes on that game as possible. Use some logic, if anything, wouldn't there be less promos in a blowout because they know there aren't as many people watching as there were at the beginning of the game? Using that same logic, wouldn't it make more sense to run more promos in a tight game where you know your audience hasn't gone anywhere? That doesn't happen, but it does show you the flaw in your thinking.

For the record, what I posted wasn't opinion, it was stone cold fact. There is no "other way to look at it." It's how TV works.

BB52Big.jpg

Forget Jabrill how about we get some linemen. Another terrible game by Michigan and I agree we are not back yet.

2011 was a deceiving year.
Yeah just like ND last year

It's funny because we're more than likely in control of our own destiny to play in a BCS game at the moment... without our starting quarterback...

6fQjS3M.png

As an ASU student, this bums me out while still making me proud. I'm bummed were losing a great AD, but proud that my school is getting recognized for having a good athletic program. Best of luck to him, until they play Arizona State! FORK EM, DEVS!!!

spacer.png

On 11/19/2012 at 7:23 PM, oldschoolvikings said:
She’s still half convinced “Chris Creamer” is a porn site.)

So lets see what happened while I was gone....Indiana lost to Minnesota. Florida State exposed Miami as CLOWNFRAUDS. Michigan wants to fire its coach. Pac 12 is still awesome, Baylor is still the cart of juggernaut.

Oh and Virginia Tech as plummeted from the rankings after losing to Boston College and Duke.

Duke.

Teehee.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived