NBA Votes Against Sacramento Kings' Relocation To Seattle

Dexter Morgan

Well at least they wont need to realign divisions!

But shouldn't the new Sonics be placed in the Northwest division? That would make more geographical sense than the Pacific Division and they'd get their old rivalry with the Blazers back.

You're probably right

It probably wouldn't happen right away; remember, when the Hornets moved to New Orleans from Charlotte, they stayed in the Eastern Conference until 2005, when the Bobcats came in, and the divisions were realigned.

Personally, the best thing they could do is have the new Sonics and the Thunder swap divisions. Even if things stay the same, in terms of divisional placement, the new Sonics would practically still play the same amount of games against conference opponents each season anyway. The NBA would make it a point for the Blazers and Sonics 2.0 to play four times a year regardless of what division each team is placed in.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if the Kings end up in Seattle, why not do the logical thing and have all five West Coast teams in one division?

Pacific: Clippers/Lakers/Warriors/Kings/Blazers

North: Thunder/Suns/Jazz/Wolves/Nuggets

South: Mavericks/Spurs/Rockets/Pelicans/Grizzlies

The division names might be a challenge, but it seems like it'd be best for travel and time-zone purposes.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Adrian Wojnarowski

The Maloofs are finalizing an agreement to sell the Sacramento Kings to the Hansen-Ballmer led Seattle group, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

This deserved it's own thread.

Wow. Seattle is going through the Clay Bennett-route; the same way their own team got pulled (team sold to investor group from arrival city) is what Sacramento's team is being pulled.

If successful, does this make the Kings' relocation the most painful and grueling in sports history?

Nope. Baltimore Colts

Sorry it had to come to this, Sacramento. That makes three cities screwed over by Stern's insistence on keeping a team in New Orleans: Seattle, Sacramento, and the team that will have to root for the "Pelicans."

Let's do some SAT analogy:

Stern is to New Orleans

as Bettman is to Phoenix

as Goodell is to any city not named Los Angeles

Nah, Goodell is going to hurry a team into Los Angeles when the time is right.

Stern's hand was forced by the Saints going all out to Save New Orleans Through Sports And Stuff. If the NFL hadn't generated such overwhelming goodwill, fallacious and ultimately pernicious as it may have been, it would've been easier to let Shinn sell to Bennett's group when he wanted to.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well, if the Kings end up in Seattle, why not do the logical thing and have all five West Coast teams in one division?

Pacific: Clippers/Lakers/Warriors/Kings/Blazers

North: Thunder/Suns/Jazz/Wolves/Nuggets

South: Mavericks/Spurs/Rockets/Pelicans/Grizzlies

The division names might be a challenge, but it seems like it'd be best for travel and time-zone purposes.

Change the name of Divisions to Pacific, Lonestar and Mountain

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

They should just call them the Seattle Kings, keep the moniker alive. The real Sonics are now in OKC and Seattle is in King County

If you're operating under the premise that they have to choose between the Sonics and the Kings, you have to allow for the possibility that Kings could be off the table for the same reasons that Sonics is on it.

They should just call them the Seattle Kings, keep the moniker alive. The real Sonics are now in OKC and Seattle is in King County

If you're operating under the premise that they have to choose between the Sonics and the Kings, you have to allow for the possibility that Kings could be off the table for the same reasons that Sonics is on it.

I don't think Sacramento is at the level of Seattle to get an equal "in the future" type of deal. Plus the Kings franchise is too well-traveled to have their name promised to one city. I think IF another team moves there, the NBA would allow them to use Kings, but I don't think they'll promise the city anything. It's basically just an "if" situation.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sacramento went for the Cleveland Deal, now that everyone is getting it. Even the Atlanta Thrashers' intellectual property is still in Atlanta, and they ain't never comin' back.

Well at least they wont need to realign divisions!

But shouldn't the new Sonics be placed in the Northwest division? That would make more geographical sense than the Pacific Division and they'd get their old rivalry with the Blazers back.

Much less of a pain in the neck than a potential Virginia Beach scenario would've been.

In a perfect NBA, the Bobcats name would die, and the Hornets name would return to Charlotte. The New Orleans NBA team moves to Seattle to be the new Sonics (a move just like the Coyotes-Jets-Thrashers sitch). The OKC Thunder would move to the Southwest division, in liew for the new Sonics being in the Northwest division. The divisions would be like this:

Atlantic: Celtics, Knicks, Nets, 76ers, Raptors

Central: Bulls, Bucks, Cavaliers, Pacers, Pistons,

Southeast: Hawks, Heat, Hornets (ex-Bobcats), Magic, Wizards

Southwest: Mavericks, Rockets, Spurs, Grizzlies, Thunder

Northwest: Blazers, Wolves, Nuggets, Jazz, Sonics (relocated New Orleans franchise)

Pacific: Lakers, Clippers, Kings, Suns, Warriors

Sadly, this perfect NBA can only exist in video game land.

How about this? :

Atlantic: Celtics, Knicks, Nets, 76ers, Raptors

Central: Bulls, Bucks, Cavaliers, Pacers, Pistons,

Southeast: Hawks, Heat, Hornets (ex-Bobcats), Magic, Wizards

Southwest: Mavericks, Rockets, Spurs, Grizzlies, Pelicans

NorthMidwest: Thunder, Wolves, Nuggets, Jazz, Suns

Pacific: Blazers, Lakers, Clippers, Sonics (relocated New Orleans Sacramento franchise), Warriors

Yeah should've been the NO Hornets having to be the ones moving to OKC.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

It's fun for this former Rochestarian that the long-forgotten Royals are moving to my current city. Too bad it's at the expense of Sacramento and in a dump like KeyArena. Also it's the Kings. OKC gets a good young core from us, we get the Wizards West.

To be honest, I'm most happy for the boost to the local economy. It will be nice to have two years of a major anchor tenant in a quickly-redeveloping Seattle Center area. In a perfect world, the new Sonics would stay at the Seattle Center campus, but that's basically impossible.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

It's fun for this former Rochestarian that the long-forgotten Royals are moving to my current city. Too bad it's at the expense of Sacramento and in a dump like KeyArena. Also it's the Kings. OKC gets a good young core from us, we get the Wizards West.

To be honest, I'm most happy for the boost to

the local economy. It will be nice to have two years of a major anchor tenant in a quickly-redeveloping Seattle Center area. In a perfect

world, the new Sonics would stay at the Seattle Center campus, but that's basically impossible.

At least the Maloofs wouldn't own the team anymore.

With the exception of the Lakers and Heat(plus maybe the Thunder), the team could see Phoenix Coyotes like crowds the rest of the way.(Maybe even worse)

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

The six division set up is bad for the NBA because there is no perfect six way grouping of five teams.

This is my realignment

Atlantic Boston, Bkny, NYK, Philly, DC. (Northeast Corridor)

Central Chicago, Cleveland Detroit, Indiana Toronto (All near the great lakes)

Southeast Atlanta, Charlotte, Memphis, Miami, Orlando, (All part deep south

Midwest Denver, Milwaukee, Minnesota, New Orleans, Utah (Well its the others) But Min and Mil natural rivalry, so is Utah and Denver.

Pacific Golden State, LAC. LAL, Portland, Seattle (All on the Pacific)

Southwest Dallas, Houston, OKC, Phoenix, San Antonio (All near or in Texas)

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'd like 'em to keep the Kings name, but I suspect they'll be the Sonics. Good compromise to me is Kings in green and yellow.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

They could go back to the 4 division set up but it probably won't happen:

Atlantic

Boston, Brooklyn, Miami, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Toronto, Washington

Central

Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Indiana, Milwaukee

Midwest

Dallas, Houston, Memphis, Minnesota, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, San Antonio

Pacific

Denver, Golden State, L.A. Clippers, L.A. Lakers, Phoenix, Portland, Seattle, Utah

Very happy that the Seattle Supersonics are returning. Very sad that it's at the expense of the Sacramento Kings. I love that the NBA entered small (relative) cities with no other pro sports teams and made it work (in most cases). San Antonio, Salt Lake, Sacramento, Phoenix at the time. I remember watching those early 2000s playoff games against the Lakers and ARCO looked nuts. I hope they leave the door open to return one day. Maybe a relocated New Orleans team down the road. They know the fans and market are there.

Do you guys think they would just break these back out, or start from scratch?

kevindurant_200x300.jpg80272899_crop_650x440.jpg?1286822600KevinDurantJeffGreen_display_image.jpg?1287364574

I forgot about that gold beauty.

Also, where is all the Sonics stuff being kept right now? Banners, etc.

sig.png

Archived