NBA Votes Against Sacramento Kings' Relocation To Seattle

Dexter Morgan

That's incontrovertible, but isn't the NBA a gate-driven league? I really don't know for a fact, but that was floated when they traded the eighth largest market for the forty-seventh.

Television markets might not actually matter as much to the NBA.

They get so much local, national, and international TV money that you can survive without a great gate. No one's been to a Pistons game in years.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slight update: While it's been kinda back-and-forth with the Maloofs and Hansen's group (and other Sacramento groups), a report came out today that NBA's relocation committee was briefed on the sale last week.

Also note: At the head of the committee is Oklahoma City's Clay Bennett. Would a Kings-to-Seattle move for next season fit the 5-year window* that Bennett and Seattle agreed upon when Bennett moved the team?

*In order for Bennett to pay Seattle back--if I'm remembering it right.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Slight update: While it's been kinda back-and-forth with the Maloofs and Hansen's group (and other Sacramento groups), a report came out today that NBA's relocation committee was briefed on the sale last week.

Also note: At the head of the committee is Oklahoma City's Clay Bennett. Would a Kings-to-Seattle move for next season fit the 5-year window* that Bennett and Seattle agreed upon when Bennett moved the team?

If he screws Seattle again, I will drive from Cincinnati to Oklahoma City and beat him with a freaking hammer.

mcbqza.jpg

If he screws Seattle again, I will drive from Cincinnati to Oklahoma City and beat him with a freaking hammer.

Not sure on the details, but isn't it that Bennett would owe Seattle money if they don't get a team next season? I think it actually behooves him to do what he can to get the Kings to Seattle sooner than later.

This report doesn't add much, but I feel for the grassroots folks in Sacramento. I remember the final days of the Sonics when there were all sorts of "grassroots" groups in Seattle that tried last-ditch efforts to keep the Sonics by building an arena here. Of course, if any of those efforts were legitimate, the Sonics wouldn't have left in the first place. I can't help but think it's a similar situation in Sacramento.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Damn. What a change in plotline. It turns from "Bennett takes any franchise to his home in OKC" to "Bennett hates Seattle and will do anything to see their NBA fans suffer."

Damn. What a change in plotline. It turns from "Bennett takes any franchise to his home in OKC" to "Bennett hates Seattle and will do anything to see their NBA fans suffer."

Except that's not the case. As DG Now said, it appears that he would benefit him more for Seattle to get a team.

Except that's not the case. As DG Now said, it appears that he would benefit him more for Seattle to get a team.

No it wouldn't. Washington State blew the deadline to trip the other flag for him.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Right. I should never be counted on as a source for anything useful. I don't think Bennett has any personal animus towards our city. He good a good, young team on the cheap and effectively played local business and political interests against each other (which isn't that hard to do around here, unfortunately). Not sure what he as an NBA owner would get keeping the Kings in a market with less revenue-creating potential than the Seattle/Tacoma/Bellevue market.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

His share of a fat expansion fee when Hansen gives up on poaching other teams, maybe (though god help us all if they add two more NBA teams when they should be subtracting two).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting that its all but a "formality" that the NBA's relocation committee will approve a Kings move to Seattle for next season and the plan all along was that any team to come to Seattle would reclaim the Sonics name.

RIP Sacramento

RIP Kings

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

$525 million for the Kings seems a tad steep.

Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting that its all but a "formality" that the NBA's relocation committee will approve a Kings move to Seattle for next season and the plan all along was that any team to come to Seattle would reclaim the Sonics name.

RIP Sacramento

RIP Kings

A sad situation all around. Seventy years of history gone :(

You mean like the sellout tonight at the Jobber.com rink?

A game I'm sure admiral is getting a kick out of right now, as well.

That's an aberration because they're hosting the Hawks. The Jackets game will probably be more like what we expect from the Yotes.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

RIP Sacramento

RIP Kings

Yep, and they're getting independent confirmation all around. The rest of the league's teams have been notified of the deal and it's terms. It looks like Sacramento won't even get a chance to counter offer at this point. They're expressing this trough with league guidance and what appears to be nothing but rubber stamp league approval. Pitiful.

Sacramento did EVERYTHING asked of it and everything right and they're going to get boned.

Archived