• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thoughts from a soccer fan in the southeast. Is it really worth it to double it into the NYC market compared to a new one like Rochester, or a new region like Atlanta? I guess I'm just highly skeptical from what I've seen in LA with the galaxy & chivas. I know they're not the same situation but I just don't think people will show up in throngs for a 2nd team if NYRB is having attendance problems. They don't even have a temporary stadium to play in yet. I don't think Yankee's stadium is an option because of scheduling and they won't want a pitch outline on their sacred ground. At least in ATL you have the Kennesaw stadium to play with till GADome 2.0 is built, Rochester has a great stadium, and ORL has the Citrus. I think this is just a bad move. The market just isn't there yet for 2

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

Thoughts from a soccer fan in the southeast. Is it really worth it to double it into the NYC market compared to a new one like Rochester, or a new region like Atlanta? I guess I'm just highly skeptical from what I've seen in LA with the galaxy & chivas. I know they're not the same situation but I just don't think people will show up in throngs for a 2nd team if NYRB is having attendance problems. They don't even have a temporary stadium to play in yet. I don't think Yankee's stadium is an option because of scheduling and they won't want a pitch outline on their sacred ground. At least in ATL you have the Kennesaw stadium to play with till GADome 2.0 is built, Rochester has a great stadium, and ORL has the Citrus. I think this is just a bad move. The market just isn't there yet for 2

If anything, I think we'll see the Red Bulls become the Chivas of this situation. All the pieces are set up for New York City FC to come into the league with a good fanbase and become one of the league's marquee teams.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'm not so sure. Yes, it's (wank wank wank) orgasmic that they'll play within the borders of the city, but they have a similar problem to Chivas: being connected to a large, existing, divisive, foreign brand. Sure, Chivas will bring in Hispanic fans... well, unless you don't count all of the not-Chivas fans who will instantly be uninterested in the team. I wonder if there will be a similar thought about Man City and/or the Yanks.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'm not so sure. Yes, it's (wank wank wank) orgasmic that they'll play within the borders of the city, but they have a similar problem to Chivas: being connected to a large, existing, divisive, foreign brand. Sure, Chivas will bring in Hispanic fans... well, unless you don't count all of the not-Chivas fans who will instantly be uninterested in the team. I wonder if there will be a similar thought about Man City and/or the Yanks.

You make a point about Man City being divisive (not as much as Chivas in Mexico) but the involvement of the Yankees (the most supported team in NYC) will soften the blow and entice people to be more curious to at least take a look at it.

Also I am sure Man City and the Yankees are not going to go into this with a bigoted signing policy and will know how to actually advertise to the people in the local area thanks to one of them being a successful local giant being on hand to lend help and resources.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

If anything, I think we'll see the Red Bulls become the Chivas of this situation. All the pieces are set up for New York City FC to come into the league with a good fanbase and become one of the league's marquee teams.

Don't forget: the difference between Chivas and NY Red Bull is that Red Bull has their own stadium, ownership who will spend cash and, aren't restricting themselves to getting players who are from one country.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Don't forget: the difference between Chivas and NY Red Bull is that Red Bull has their own stadium, ownership who will spend cash and, aren't restricting themselves to getting players who are from one country.

All that is true, but right now Red Bull has been able to attract players like Thierry Henry and Rafa Marquez because of the appeal of being with the New York franchise. When New York City FC hits the field, the Red Bulls, I believe, will lose that appeal to those foreign players. It's with this point that the club's location within the New York metro area matters.

If you're, say, Frank Lampard and are presented with the chance to come to live in New York, would you pick the club within the five boroughs or the one in New Jersey? Today, players only have one choice. But if New York City FC were around when Henry came a-lookin', I doubt he'd have signed with Red Bull.

I think for Red Bull to succeed in a two-team market, it has to become the club that excels at developing home-grown talent, which isn't exactly how it's organized today.

All that is true, but right now Red Bull has been able to attract players like Thierry Henry and Rafa Marquez because of the appeal of being with the New York franchise. When New York City FC hits the field, the Red Bulls, I believe, will lose that appeal to those foreign players. It's with this point that the club's location within the New York metro area matters.

If you're, say, Frank Lampard and are presented with the chance to come to live in New York, would you pick the club within the five boroughs or the one in New Jersey? Today, players only have one choice. But if New York City FC were around when Henry came a-lookin', I doubt he'd have signed with Red Bull.

I think for Red Bull to succeed in a two-team market, it has to become the club that excels at developing home-grown talent, which isn't exactly how it's organized today.

That would also mean signing with a Manchester City owned club, correct? Who knows how closely tied the two (MCFC and NY City) will actually be? If a player has significant ties to one of the other large English clubs like MU or Chelsea, that might be a deterrent.

I get that point. I won't argue that either.

I will say this though: With only 3 D.P. spots available, there is a limit on those real big name guys that can be brought in by one team.

I also agree with your statement that RBNY should be developing home-grown talent, but then again I feel like that should be the primary objective of ALL MLS clubs.

In fact, as I think I've made obvious by now, I could live with my favorite team TFC sucking the big one for a couple more years assuming that means they will develop Canadians who can play in MLS at a high level.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Self promotion vaguely related to domestic soccer:

Five years after having the idea and registering the domains, I've finally built my Support Your Local Club site. The site features a map of the pro/semi-pro/etc teams in the US and Canada (and others affiliated with US/Canadian leagues).

Please enjoy. Share, if you're so inclined.

http://www.supportyourlocalclub.com/

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Chivas USA appears to be in some legal trouble now as 2 former youth coaches fired in March are alleging that they were fired for being non-Latinos.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/29/sports/sn-sp-la-former-coaches-file-discrimination-lawsuit-against-chivas-usa-20130529

Also they fired their coach yesterday who was, imo, entertaining in his candor of his team's abilities.

http://www.themorningsun.com/article/20130531/SPORTS03/130539932/chivas-usa-fires-coach-jose-luis-sanchez-sola

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Self promotion vaguely related to domestic soccer:

Five years after having the idea and registering the domains, I've finally built my Support Your Local Club site. The site features a map of the pro/semi-pro/etc teams in the US and Canada (and others affiliated with US/Canadian leagues).

Please enjoy. Share, if you're so inclined.

http://www.supportyourlocalclub.com/

A fine effort. It's a little tricky to work out the exact closest club to East Yorkshire but I reckon I'm not too far off with with the Seacoast United Mariners Women who I hereby claim as my local North American team.

Now, where can I get a scarf?

Archived