Apparently it wasn't just on-field conduct. I read one article that says she's been getting a lot of abuse online.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't think there's any truth to her thinking there were any racist remarks. But that happens everywhere, so I also wouldn't be surprised.

You think she's lying? That's the only other explanation.

She said there were racial taunts. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing one makes a mistake about. She either heard them or she didn't.

Can some one explain to me why MLS teams play in these weird tournaments like the US Open Cup? I have been watching more soccer lately thanks in part to the Mets being as fun to watch as the Kardashians, and the Red Bulls don't play a league game for three weeks.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Can some one explain to me why MLS teams play in these weird tournaments like the US Open Cup? I have been watching more soccer lately thanks in part to the Mets being as fun to watch as the Kardashians, and the Red Bulls don't play a league game for three weeks.

In a nutshell:

The US Open Cup, much like the Canadian Championship is the qualifying rounds for the CONCACAF Champion's league. AKA the equivalent to the Champion's league Bayern Munich just won over in Europe.

CONCACAF is the region of the world that the US, Canada and, Mexico (along with the rest of Central America and the Caribbeans) play in.

These competitions are not league based, they are based on club teams from different leagues competing against each other for the right to represent their country (on a club level) in our region's champion's league.

Here's some more info on the CONCACAF Champion's League and as it always does, Wiki can lead you to info on the qualifying tournaments too

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Short answer, though, is that it's the nature of the sport.

Teams play in their leagues, but unlike other sports they're not exclusive.

They also compete for the right to represent their league in larger international competitions.

The CONCACAF Champions League is our version of the more-established (and more prestigious) Champions League in Europe, probably the top tournament in the world. I think it's amazing for teams to square off against competition from the other top leagues in our confederation. It's only possible due to soccer's ubiquity; there is no serious foreign competition for the Yankees to face.

Then there are competitions like the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, which is open to all levels in the country, from amateur sides to MLS. Again, it's amazing to think that your local pub team could conceivably win its way up the ladder to face (and even beat) the country's top professional teams. Cinderella stories at their finest.

(Sorry, really meant that to be a shorter answer)

Short answer, though, is that it's the nature of the sport.

Teams play in their leagues, but unlike other sports they're not exclusive.

They also compete for the right to represent their league in larger international competitions.

The CONCACAF Champions League is our version of the more-established (and more prestigious) Champions League in Europe, probably the top tournament in the world. I think it's amazing for teams to square off against competition from the other top leagues in our confederation. It's only possible due to soccer's ubiquity; there is no serious foreign competition for the Yankees to face.

Then there are competitions like the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, which is open to all levels in the country, from amateur sides to MLS. Again, it's amazing to think that your local pub team could conceivably win its way up the ladder to face (and even beat) the country's top professional teams. Cinderella stories at their finest.

(Sorry, really meant that to be a shorter answer)

I agree that the CONCACAF Champions League is great but honestly I want MLS teams to someday be in a place, talent wise, where they could compete in the Copa Libertadores. Mexican teams are already competing in the tournament so it is not too much of a stretch for US & Canadian teams to compete in it as well.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Yeah but Copa is more or less the South American championship. Mexico gets in likely due to their Spanish heritage and the fact that people always forget that they're technically North American, and just like to lump them in with Central American countries anyway.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Open Cup can be great fun for the fans. It was a nice change of pace to see Seattle play the Rowdies (and lose!).

One slight gripe about domestic soccer: I've changed from a hardcore supporter of Orlando to kinda hoping they fall flat on their face in their MLS bid. I've never seen a more obscene, militant, disgusting group at a club match than their supporters group.

Open Cup can be great fun for the fans. It was a nice change of pace to see Seattle play the Rowdies (and lose!).

One slight gripe about domestic soccer: I've changed from a hardcore supporter of Orlando to kinda hoping they fall flat on their face in their MLS bid. I've never seen a more obscene, militant, disgusting group at a club match than their supporters group.

The thing about the Open Cup is that many MLS teams, unfortunately, don't try as hard.

Can you give any details on what they did? Is it worse than what the 1906 Ultras supporting San Jose did in Portland that caused their travel priveledges to be revoked?

The thing about the Open Cup is that many MLS teams, unfortunately, don't try as hard.

Can you give any details on what they did? Is it worse than what the 1906 Ultras supporting San Jose did in Portland that caused their travel priveledges to be revoked?

Probably not, but I wasn't there.

Every chant having at least one obscenity, cursing at children and neutral fans, destroying/damaging property in stadium, throwing smoke bomb in section comprised solely of neutral fans/families, obscene signs, obscenity and sexual remarks towards the ushers...pretty much everything short of physical violence. The one who I personally saw start getting physical with other fans needed two officers to drag him out, lol thought for sure we were going to see a taser. Clowns hope right off the bus and their first chant starts F you. I love going to a match to support your club but that's a long way from going to just be a militant jerk.

Heard of a few other unsavory actions but only listed what I personally saw or experienced.

Probably not, but I wasn't there.

Every chant having at least one obscenity, cursing at children and neutral fans, destroying/damaging property in stadium, throwing smoke bomb in section comprised solely of neutral fans/families, obscene signs, obscenity and sexual remarks towards the ushers...pretty much everything short of physical violence. The one who I personally saw start getting physical with other fans needed two officers to drag him out, lol thought for sure we were going to see a taser. Clowns hope right off the bus and their first chant starts F you. I love going to a match to support your club but that's a long way from going to just be a militant jerk.

Heard of a few other unsavory actions but only listed what I personally saw or experienced.

You'd think if that sort of behavior is prevalent, it will eventually hamper their bid to join MLS.

I had just moved to Portland when it became a bid city for MLS expansion, and the Timbers Army was one of the biggest selling points of the club. They might have the occasional bit of profanity in their songs, but the Army is an otherwise well-organized, well-respected and community-focused supporters group.

To be fair it wasn't the majority of the Ultras that did what they did in Portland to get their privleges revoked. That said the Ultras have still to my knowledge done nothing to address the issue publicly (and by extension seem to be silently approving of what happened). No bans have been publicly mentioned, no scarves returned, etc...

Frankly many in the regular Quakes fan base, including myself, have become tired of the Ultras and their antics. Yes they're great supporters but they too often seem to be involved in fights, stealing scarves, over the top vulgarity, or in the PDX case criminal activity. They of course deny it all, but where there's smoke enough times there's also fire. Some former Ultras and regular fans have become so sick of it they've even gone so far as to create a new supporters group with a code of conduct countering the Ultras issues calling themselves the "Faultline" (the oldest supporters group, the Casbah, is on life support and isn't much of an alternative).

To be fair it wasn't the majority of the Ultras that did what they did in Portland to get their privleges revoked. That said the Ultras have still to my knowledge done nothing to address the issue publicly (and by extension seem to be silently approving of what happened). No bans have been publicly mentioned, no scarves returned, etc...

Frankly many in the regular Quakes fan base, including myself, have become tired of the Ultras and their antics. Yes they're great supporters but they too often seem to be involved in fights, stealing scarves, over the top vulgarity, or in the PDX case criminal activity. They of course deny it all, but where there's smoke enough times there's also fire. Some former Ultras and regular fans have become so sick of it they've even gone so far as to create a new supporters group with a code of conduct countering the Ultras issues calling themselves the "Faultline" (the oldest supporters group, the Casbah, is on life support and isn't much of an alternative).

I just do not want this :censored: happening now that the sport is finally gaining popularity.

I want soccer fans in America to enjoy a good reputation.

Yeah Sons of Ben is older than Philly Union. But I've heard a lot of bad stories about OCFC fans from Ralph's Mob. I remember watching a video where they were spitting on people and picking fights while walking up the ramp to even get into the stadium. If they were the first South Eastern team to make it into the modern MLS, I would still continue to loathe them.

Also, what happens with the NASL being a split season? I was looking for games to go to, and theres a month in between the last of the first part, and start of the second. Is there a tournament or?

Yeah Sons of Ben is older than Philly Union. But I've heard a lot of bad stories about OCFC fans from Ralph's Mob. I remember watching a video where they were spitting on people and picking fights while walking up the ramp to even get into the stadium. If they were the first South Eastern team to make it into the modern MLS, I would still continue to loathe them.

Also, what happens with the NASL being a split season? I was looking for games to go to, and theres a month in between the last of the first part, and start of the second. Is there a tournament or?

Is this the vid?

Yep. Those guys really rustle my jimmies.

The idiots throwing the bottles and putting the bandanas over their mouths need to stop watching the Real Football Factory documentaries.

I believe some teams will be playing friendlies with English Championship teams and other leagues that are in on tour. A couple teams have already announced matchups.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived