GotPixels NFL Project 40 Expansion Series

GotPixels

For no good reason, I have decided to take on a "for fun" project. I have already dabbled a bit with a couple of concepts. This may take forever, but hopefully I have that much time. Maybe.

Here's the concept. The NFL expands to 40 teams. 5 per division. I'm not even thinking about scheduling...what a nightmare. Good thing I'm not in charge. Here is the divisional line up.

Final Division Alignment is complete.

divisions.jpg

I have already done the Orlando franchise. I'm working on the Dublin franchise and will post it later. I have scribbled team names, logo ideas and just general craziness.

If you have ideas for team names, let's hear them. I have researched and have some ideas, but would love feedback. I decided to leave the rivalries mostly intact.

Yes, I have no life.

Teams Revealed.

NFL Project 40 research is nearing completion. Expanding and realigning isn't as easy as it looks. As Commissioner of this Fantasy NFL Expansion Project, allow me to present the teams, divisions and future possibilities moving forward. I have taken into consideration ideas presented in this forum and have adjusted my project based on a few. Also, a case will be made for those lucky cities selected into this elite fraternity.

First, the expansion teams of North America.

City: Orlando

Team Name: Blazers

TV Market Size: 19

Colors: Orange, Yellow, White, Black

Orlando was once home to the Florida Blazers of the WFL. The stadium is NFL ready. Florida, like California, has the population and infrastructure to handle four NFL franchises. Geographically, It links

Florida from Miami to Jacksonville. It would also fill a void if the Jaguars one day decide to bolt for greener pastures. The team name and colors work are appropriate for the area.

City: Louisville

Team Name: Kings

TV Market Size: 50

Colors: Sapphire Blue, Gold, White

Louisville provides a geographic link between the north and the south. Close enough to Cincinnati, but considered the south. An instant natural rivalry with the Bengals is created. The name connects the heritage of the city to it's founder, King Louis XVI of France.

City: Los Angeles

Team Name: Riptides

TV Market Size: 2

Colors: Sea Blue, Silver, White

Los Angeles courted several teams for re-location. In the end, they were chosen for an expansion franchise. They will have a brand new “state of the art “ stadium to play in and will return the NFL to the nation's second largest T.V. Market. Oddly enough, several of the franchises in the city are by relocation. Selecting an identity was challenging, but the Riptides capture the beautiful, yet powerful nature of Southern California.

City: Portland

Team Name: Tridents

TV Market Size: 22

Colors: Copper, Dark Teal, White, Gray

Long overdue, Portland provides a natural rivalry for Seattle and helps connect the dots on the map from San Diego up the West Coast to Washington state. The Trident is a symbol featured on the city seal and represents one the basic pillars that the city was founded upon. It also featured with the Portlandia which is the second largest copper statue in America. The Trident is held facing upward which symbolizes the pursuit of the sea.

City: San Antonio

Team Name: Squadron

TV Market Size: 37

Colors: Academy Blue, Academy Gold, Gray, Red, White, Black

After much consideration based on the history of this great city, the committee decided that a military theme was the way to

go. Squadron captures the spirit of the modern day Alamo city. The city and the team are ready to take flight.

City: Salt Lake City

Team Name: RedLine

TV Market Size: 33

Colors: Red, Silver, White, Black

Beautiful and panoramic, Salt Lake City provides a link across the Rockies to the west coast. A natural rivalry is created with the Broncos and a quality city joins in the fun and excitement of the NFL. The identity will encompass the area and grab a hold of the power and combustion that is on display annually at the Bonneville salt flats. SLC RedLine will display the raw power and speed generated to obtain world land speed records.

Future Consideration.

Mexico City, Toronto, Birmingham, Oklahoma City

There were tough choices to make. Toronto was very deserving. It is the 5th largest TV market in North America. However, poor attendance at NFL games was the tipping point to sway the decision. San Antonio deserved the nod before Mexico City and the league didn't feel that Birmingham was ready at this time.

Now, the expansion teams of Europe.

City: Dublin, Ireland

Team Name: Voyagers

Population: 1,273,069 (2011)

Colors: Emerald Green, Old Gold, White

Originally slated to be the Archers, more research was recommended by the expansion committee.

After pouring over some historical text, we came away fixed on the identity of the Voyagers. Based on Irish Mythology, allegedly, St. Brendan traveled, by small boat, to America...and other parts of the world. I didn't make this up. Looking forward to unveiling this new franchise to the world.

City: London, England

Team Name: Archers

Population: 8,174,100 (2011)

Colors: Gold, Silver, Red, Blue, White

London has averaged 80,000 for NFL games since they began play there. A perfect addition to the league and will help to expand the footprint eastward. The league was sure to set up a natural rivalry by adding Dublin as well. The identity will be bold, strong and of historical noteworthiness. The Archers

will symbolize the ability to protect one's house. Welcome to the NFL.

Future Consideration.

Amsterdam, Barcelona, Berlin, Frankfurt, Scotland

Old Dog Learning New Tricks.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a pretty good idea.

Exept I don't like the fact that you took the Rams from St. Louis ?.

Dublin's set is pretty straight, but I feel like there's too much going on. Try taking the arrows away and adding white in place of the silver.

Exept I don't like the fact that you took the Rams from St. Louis .

Dublin's set is pretty straight, but I feel like there's too much going on. Try taking the arrows away and adding white in place of the silver.

Sorry man. At least I gave you an expansion team.

Being a history nut, I would make London the Archers.

English Archers were the difference for over a century. Hundred Years War for example. Love the concept but to be accurate (yes a pun) I would go a different Direction w Dublin.

Ireland also.

I was thinking London Knights.

I would add some stripes to the orange socks to avoid the infamous "Leotard" look. Also, maybe go with a different number font. It doesn't look like it fits with the rest of the set. Maybe a curvier style would fit better.

I'll second the suggestion of someone in the other thread, put a white outline around the logo on the pants. It's blending in too much.

It's cool to see this fleshed out into a series. I look forward to seeing how it comes together.

rATMcmK.png

Exept I don't like the fact that you took the Rams from St. Louis .

Just like that bitch that took them from Los Angeles in 1995. Why should you complained if they originally belong to Cleveland and Los Angeles in the first place. Well, now Cleveland has the Browns. So that means the Rams belong to Los Angeles.

Don't complain.

Hmmmm, I think the NFL would go for a more stereotypical Irish name than Archers. Archers just isn't that Irish. If you were going less stereotype Irish why go for typical Irish colours though?

I wonder what Hummel would make of the chevrons running down the pants?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Hmmmm, I think the NFL would go for a more stereotypical Irish name than Archers. Archers just isn't that Irish. If you were going less stereotype Irish why go for typical Irish colours though?

I wonder what Hummel would make of the chevrons running down the pants?

I was trying to avoid using the obvious. Shamrocks seemed to Notre Dame.

I had Arrows to begin with.

I feel as if there could be a better team suited for the NFC North than Dublin. I know, it's picky, but as a Vikings fan, t'd be hard to handle some expansion franchise joining this 50 year old division. But I do like your idea as a whole. Very creative and fun.

Btw, St. Louis ARCHERS ?! :)

Guest darkpiranha

Fun stuff so far. Are you just doing the expansion teams, or do you have stuff in mind for playing with the established teams?

Nice giong so far. I have some ideas, though...

Since you're putting the Rams back in LA, why not move the Cardinals back to St. Louis and put an expansion team in Phoenix? And for your European teams, I would call the London team either the Monarchs, like the old NFLE team, or name it after one of their soccer teams, like Chelsea or Arsenal. That sounds weird, I know, but many clubs in Europe have teams in many different sports. Did you know FC Barcelona is a basketball team too?

I love this project. I've had this in my head for a while as well. One question though. If you have the Raiders relocated back to LA, who is the team in Oakland? If that is a mistake, why not make an expansion team in Las Vegas, Mexico City or Hawaii for the AFC West. Or maybe Mexico City would be good fit in the AFC South instead of the Louisville team.

Also I was thinking that it might be a bit tough to put two teams in the Europe so close so why not make the London team the Archers and move the Dublin team to Germany (Frankfurt or Berlin) or to Canada (Toronto) instead? Just a suggestion.

Since you're putting the Rams back in LA, why not move the Cardinals back to St. Louis and put an expansion team in Phoenix? And for your European teams, I would call the London team either the Monarchs, like the old NFLE team, or name it after one of their soccer teams, like Chelsea or Arsenal. That sounds weird, I know, but many clubs in Europe have teams in many different sports. Did you know FC Barcelona is a basketball team too?

Since you're putting the Rams back in LA, why not move the Cardinals back to St. Louis and put an expansion team in Phoenix? And for your European teams, I would call the London team either the Monarchs

I was trying to be somewhat realistic in the thought process. Arizona has a really nice stadium and the Cardinals are pretty entrenched. As for London, IMonarchs is on the list along with Royals, Kings and Knights.

If the Raiders are relocated back to LA, who is the team in Oakland? If that is a mistake, why not make an expansion team in Las Vegas, Mexico City or Hawaii for the AFC West.

Also I was thinking that it might be a bit tough to put two teams in the Europe so close so why not make the London team the Archers and move the Dublin team to Germany (Frankfurt or Berlin) or to Canada (Toronto) instead? Just a suggestion.

If the Raiders are relocated back to LA, who is the team in Oakland? If that is a mistake, why not make an expansion team in Las Vegas, Mexico City or Hawaii for the AFC West.

Oakland back to LA seemed logical. Seems logical for LA to mimic NY and have two teams. Thus the relocation of St.Louis and Oakland back to LA.

I placed Dublin and London due to travel consideration. The stadium that ND played in at the beginning of the year was first rate. It could totally handle an NFL franchise. Ireland seemed hungry for the sport. London is obvious. I think they would be natural rivals. Toronto, Frankfurt and Berlin, as well as, Mexico City were on my list. I think Hawaii would be too far West.

Oakland back to LA seemed logical. Seems logical for LA to mimic NY and have two teams. Thus the relocation of St.Louis and Oakland back to LA.

I placed Dublin and London due to travel consideration. The stadium that ND played in at the beginning of the year was first rate. It could totally handle an NFL franchise. Ireland seemed hungry for the sport. London is obvious. I think they would be natural rivals. Toronto, Frankfurt and Berlin, as well as, Mexico City were on my list. I think Hawaii would be too far West.

No, I agree with you on the Raiders move back to LA. What I'm asking is why do you still have Oakland in the AFC West as well as the LA Raiders? Who is the Oakland team you have listed?

Archived