GotPixels NFL Project 40 Expansion Series

GotPixels

Really love this project, although I have some thoughts on the teams and divisions.

Thanks and I'm having a lot fun with it. I will address your points and maybes adds some to them.

Some assumptions / changes from the initial project post:

1) NFL is looking to grow its brand globally, so I think you will see a focus on Europe & North American metropolises in the future. No need to expand down the U.S. television market list when your focus is globally (good bye SLC & Louisville franchises) and there is history to pick up from in Europe, Canada and Mexico (i.e. successful NFL Europe cities, CFL flagship city of Toronto, Mexico City, Mexico holds the NFL attendance record).

My initial goal/outlook for this project was to look down the road to the year 2020. The NFL will be 100 years old. Populations and markets will increase at home and abroad. The NFL is all about TV and the money that it brings. The game is most popular right here on this soil. So it made sense to me to start here and reward deserving cities a franchise.

My approach was to create a balanced league of teams. 40 teams, 5 per each division. Easier to schedule than an unbalanced approach. I took a lot into consideration researching the different locations. Toronto for example has had poor attendance where NFL games are concerned. The market has the population to support a team, I'm just not sure that they are hungry for the NFL.

2) Existing NFL franchises that are struggling will be relocated (Raiders to LA; St. Louis to LA) and one will develop a unique city arrangement (Jaguars home cities will be JAX & Orlando and will have two home stadiums to claim the northern & central Florida markets & become a truly regional team).

-Let's face it, Oakland isn't going to build the Raiders a stadium and the Rams are already positioning themselves for a lease exit after the 2014 season in order to return to L.A.'s Farmers Field.

-Jacksonville, FL can't financially support an NFL team, however a combination of Jacksonville & Orlando can.

I agree with your view on relocation. There may be as many as three teams on the move in the near future.

I do believe Jacksonville and Orlando can both sustain NFL franchises. Jacksonville just needs to put a winner on the field. For my project I see Orlando connecting the dots if you will from south Florida to Georgia. Easier to travel for teams and fans.

3) Instead of dealing with the scheduling logistics of placing European teams in existing NFC/AFC divisions, a Euro division/conference will be created. It will include cities that were in the former NFL Europe that were relatively successful: London, England; Edinburgh, Scotland; Frankfurt, Germany; Berlin, Germany).

At first, this was my thought process. As I began putting the puzzle together, I didn't see how it would be feasible to have one International division. There would have to be ten European franchises to maintain a balanced approach. In my mind, that wasn't realistic. It was, however, realistic to grab two cities on the same island. By doing this, a natural rivalry is created. By placing Dublin and London in the NFC and AFC, respectively, the league would ease scheduling and travel issues.

For example, Dublin in the NFC East.

NFC East opponents could, when the rotation requires facing the AFC East, could spend back to back weeks there. Same for London's AFC East opponents. This could also work for non-divisional opponents as well. The fact that both cities are close makes even more sense. Dublin is very interested in the NFL. London's attendance is first rate. Makes sense.

4) On the North American side, the NFL expands to: Toronto (NFC), Portland (NFC), San Antonio (AFC) and Mexico City (AFC).

-Toronto is Canada's largest city as well as North America's #5 television market

-Portland, Oregon is a city with immense potential and a high income area

-San Antonio, Texas has been rumored to be able to support a team for a quite a while; football anywhere in Texas does well

-Mexico City, Mexico is the capital city of Mexico with a population of over 12 million people

I have stated my case against Toronto. That is why it is on my future consideration list. Mexico City was a tough one to ignore. The deciding factor was distance and what division to place a team. To far south to be considered west, don't you think. When connecting the travel dots, it just didn't make sense, yet. It is a city high up the future consideration list for me. I will be doing a look for this team. It's just waiting in the vault for now.

Thanks for taking the time to reply with a very well thought concept. That is what I had hoped this project would do. Get people to have an open mind to an NFL of the future.

GotPixels, amazing series you have accomplished so far! Your work is very well thought out, and the concepts are fresh and original! You have a great vision of what you want, and how to execute it nicely. San Antonio and Portland are my favorites in this series. Keep up the great work!

While it may come off a a little too arenaish for most, the Portland unis would look great on the field.

Thanks for the kind words and support. This is a great deal of fun.

Old Dog Learning New Tricks.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really like the SA Defenders logo, the city has two air force bases near the city. The simplified logo of the bird with the old WWII Star really made the difference IMO. Portland's color combo is too dark, needs a light color to bring out one of the dark colors you've selected.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived