Washington Redskins Rebranding Project

KyleMakesConcepts

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually did some research awhile back and these are the nicknames teams from Washington used:

Redskins (NFL)

Wizards (NBA) formerly known as the Bullets

Capitals (NHL)

Nationals (MLB)

Mystics (WNBA)

Federals (USFL)

Senators (twice failed MLB franchises)

Commandos (Arena football)

Generals (Harlem Globetrotters opponent)

Freedom (?)

Warthogs (?)

Diplomats (NASL?)

I really hate to see the team change their name to the Senators- they might have to move out of town just like the baseball teams did!

And when the Bullets were asked to change their name, some suggestions were believe it or not:

:

Dragons

Express

Stallions

Seadogs

Zephyrs

Packers

And when the Bullets were asked to change their name, some suggestions were believe it or not:

:

Dragons

Express

Stallions

Seadogs

Zephyrs

Packers

These two were old nicknames that the franchise had when it was in Chicago, but a Zephyr is a western wind and DC is an eastern city; and Packers wouldn't work for obvious reasons.

Out of all the names mentioned here the only one the NFL would probably approve is the Warriors.

I am sorry I just don't get the offensive thing if they were the Washington Rednecks or if TN named the team the Hillbillies I would not be offended in the least.

Even if they were named the Washington Honkies big deal.

I feel sorry for anyone who has a life so depressing that a sports team name would offend them.

Honestly, its called heritage and history. And I dont understand the logic here with Indians and braves and cheifs. Why would you complain having a sports team named after you. Redskins might be a little offensive, but I can guarantee that most of DC would be outraged if the name was changed. Why don't you change Notre Dame to the bulldogs so the Irish aren't offended.

Why don't you change Notre Dame to the bulldogs so the Irish aren't offended.

BECAUSE THE PLAYERS WERE IRISH!

That, and the "Fighting" (or "Fightin'") part of the name derives from (depending on which story you believe) either the fighting spirit of a particular team and the nickname stuck OR the fact that (like, Fighting Illini) it was added to honor Alums and students who made the ultimate sacrifice during The Great War.

I loath ND, but even I can't find a single cogent connection between the exploitation of a racial slur and stereotype - for profit, mind you - and naming a team after the actual ethnicity and spirit of the players on said team.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story...

Change the name, don't change the name (they're not gunna ever change the name...) one fact remains: Redskins is a racial epithet. If you still want that as your team name, fine.

Hmm let's change their logo to the face of a stereotypical Asian ninja/samurai and rename them the Yellowskins. Nothing racist about that right?

On topic, I definitely like the Warriors suggestion. It ties into the Native American theme well and rolls off the tongue better than Potomacs, which is a great nickname in itself but feels too specific for a broad sports brand to develop in such an ever expanding league. Potomacs is more fitting for collegiate sports

Midway.png

Also, changing the colors dramatically at this point would be a kick in the groin to Redskins fans everywhere. As if they haven't suffered enough in the last decade.

Well said. This week may have been the most trying week I've ever had in my 30 years as a Skins fan.

Archived