American Airlines New Logo

yh

This just crossed my Twitter feed. Not sure why AA feels the need to mess with an iconic logo, especially when gradients enter the picture. If this is in fact the new logo, I give it two thumbs down.

logo-1.png

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the font they used for the wordmark, but the rest of it is just terrible. Bland, boring, vague...it doesn't tell you ANYTHING about their brand except that it's red, white and blue. Take a look at the full paint scheme for the aircraft:

original.jpg

I've seen better artwork from kindergartners.

I don't mind it at all. I like the simplicity of it.

It's pretty hard to effectively judge this rebrand based on livery on one plane and a logo by itself — I'm curious to see the overall application of the new look.

NatsFan, please, just sit the next play out.

In this day and age with logos being most seen on the internet or print, gradients don't bother me as much as they used to if done well. Its not something that has to be avoided if you know how to use them and use them for purpose. Its used here for purpose. Also knowing your logo usage. The only production that you'd have trouble with gradients on anymore is embroidery and outside of polos or uniforms, these aren't going to be embroidered.

I will say its interesting that they have a icon that is similar to the shape of a plane's tail, yet they didn't use it on the plane's tail.

Icon I'm fine with it. Lateral move really. Font is so cold and uninteresting that its a downgrade.

i like the word mark. not sure of the exact font, but the humanist sans is definitely fresher than helvetica. it feels light and modern, but most people wont notice. the icon is fine, it will work fine. like PCGD said, it looks like it was made for the tail but they didnt apply it there. maybe not yet? the actual livery i think is very good, i love the extended stripes that come off the tail and onto the body of the plane, making the tail section look huge. smart move. the whole thing is no more complicated than it needs to be. not as creative, or striking, or distinctive as Fiji Air, but it's totally appropriate for the brand

NatsFan, really if thats the best you can come up with, might want to just hold your peace.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

NatsFan, really if thats the best you can come up with, might want to just hold your peace.

NatsFan, please, just sit the next play out.

Was this really necessary, gentlemen? We get it; you're design geniuses, and none shall disagree. But maybe we can cut the condescension.

-----

I generally like this, but I'll definitely miss the AA-eagle combination.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Not really the point I was making. I don't care if you don't like it — IMO there's nothing worse than criticism without reason. "I've seen better artwork from kindergartners" is on par with "it's just four boxes" re: Microsoft's new branding.

I like to think that most people are intelligent enough to explain why they don't like it, rather than just saying "it sucks". Sorry about that.

I like the new logo.

Their old eagle mark was pretty iconic, but this is far from a bad logo by any stretch. The livery shots with the tails all painted up like Old Glory are a bit much for my taste, though.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Two huge missed opportunities for them:

-The logo is designed to look like a plane tail fin, yet appears nowhere on the actual tail fin.

-None of their other media aside from the actual tail fin contain that stylized American flag.

Here's what they could do to fix that:

-Make a stylized American flag like the tail fin design, but a full flag. Make it smaller and put it on the side, near the cockpit.

-Give all the crew lapel pins with the same stylized American flag.

-Replace the tail fin livery with the actual logo

galaxy.png

Not really the point I was making. I don't care if you don't like it — IMO there's nothing worse than criticism without reason. "I've seen better artwork from kindergartners" is on par with "it's just four boxes" re: Microsoft's new branding.

I like to think that most people are intelligent enough to explain why they don't like it, rather than just saying "it sucks". Sorry about that.

agree with Doug. my comment wasn't about having an authority over anyone. it was about someone making a fool of himself.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Wow...that tail. So understated. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the car dealers that put out 500 American flags and then have a 100-foot pole with another flag the size of a gym floor. It's a little much even for the most avid patriot.

The blue is too light for my tastes and I guess that little pointy thing is an eagle's head but it looks more like a drawer pull or something.

Could definitely have been better.

Knew I'd seen that tail before...

300px-F4F-3_new_pitot_tube_of_later_model.jpg

From aa.com:

===

Inspired by our proud past, our new look symbolizes our passion for progress by incorporating the colors and symbols you've come to associate with American.

Reflecting the soaring spirit that is uniquely American, our new logo - the Flight Symbol - contains the eagle, the star, the "A," and refreshed shades of red, white and blue. Together, they represent a clean and modern update to the core icons of our company.

===

Yeah, okay.

An artist's rendering:

newLook3.jpg

It'll be interesting to see this on the t-tailed birds like the MD-80s.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Not sure why AA feels the need to mess with an iconic logo, especially when gradients enter the picture.

Actually, there's a reason behind it: the planes themselves. Some of the planes they've ordered have composite fuselage parts, making their standard silver plane skin impossible to duplicate. So they went ahead and replaced everything in a full-fledged rebranding.

nav-logo.png

Not sure why AA feels the need to mess with an iconic logo, especially when gradients enter the picture.

Actually, there's a reason behind it: the planes themselves. Some of the planes they've ordered have composite fuselage parts, making their standard silver plane skin impossible to duplicate. So they went ahead and replaced everything in a full-fledged rebranding.

They could have just started painting their planes silver and not screw the whole look up.

No offense, but some of us don't have the time to write a treatise on why we do or we don't like a particular logo or brand. You may. I don't often. And many of us (ie, the average consumer) don't care to. I gave my opinion on what I saw, and I stand by it. But please, feel free to continue rating the quality of my posts (as if that's what this forum is about :rolleyes:).

And point of fact, I thought I did explain my feelings on the new brand. It's bland. It doesn't represent what American Airlines stands for (or what they want AA to stand for).

I will elaborate: they could have maintained an understated look and still had an iconic logo that is clearly recognizable for what it is. I know what their logo is supposed to be, but it looks like a random set of lines and curves to me. It doesn't look like an eagle. It doesn't look like a flag. It doesn't look like much of anything, really...except maybe the Greyhound logo. But even then, Greyhound had the decency to put an actual greyhound in their logo. It's like a bunch of (well-paid) graphic designers just threw a bunch of lines and color on a canvas and decided to call it a day. No structure to the whole thing whatsoever.

Happy now?

Archived