Interest in Starting a Fantasy Football Concept League (IceHL Style)?

hersheyBears23

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

28qwvac.png

I really like this as lot.

But maybe make the player a silhoutte instead of having some details in it.

Also, maybe you could make the top of the shield "round" along with the globe?

Then I think it'll look great.

Sure, I can give that a go and I'll post the results. I should have it up later tonight. The only reason he has detail was to make out the things like his helmet and ball better than just having a solid mass of color.

My vision is that I will set up a survey monkey or something similar with a ratings style and then people could vote on the 15 (1 being their least favorite to 15 being the most) and the moniker with the most votes by the end wins. What do ya think?

That works.

For the record, I'm not arguing here, just wondering how this will all go down. Why do the owners have no say in the identity of their teams? I understand the desire for not letting people name their teams anything they want, since my leagues always end up with teams named "The Penis Mightier" and such, but why not let the owner of the city have final say among, say, the top three choices as voted by the league? Or is the idea to have everything be communal except the running of the teams?

How's the designing going to go? Will the owners have say there? Will the owners be designing their own teams, unless they opt out (I know there are people who don't want to design, etc.)?

As far as actually playing, will we be playing in two 12-team leagues and have the playoffs be between the two leagues? A 24-team league is incredibly deep. Sure, having two leagues would mean Drew Brees could be playing against Drew Brees in our league, but I think the wiggle room on depth might make the whole thing more fair and balanced. It would also make future expansion more tenable.

EDIT: I'm reading through the IceHL yearbook, so I know where some of this is coming from. But I would still like to know your plans and what you think. :)

My vision is that I will set up a survey monkey or something similar with a ratings style and then people could vote on the 15 (1 being their least favorite to 15 being the most) and the moniker with the most votes by the end wins. What do ya think?

That works.

For the record, I'm not arguing here, just wondering how this will all go down. Why do the owners have no say in the identity of their teams? I understand the desire for not letting people name their teams anything they want, since my leagues always end up with teams named "The Penis Mightier" and such, but why not let the owner of the city have final say among, say, the top three choices as voted by the league? Or is the idea to have everything be communal except the running of the teams?

How's the designing going to go? Will the owners have say there? Will the owners be designing their own teams, unless they opt out (I know there are people who don't want to design, etc.)?

As far as actually playing, will we be playing in two 12-team leagues and have the playoffs be between the two leagues? A 24-team league is incredibly deep. Sure, having two leagues would mean Drew Brees could be playing against Drew Brees in our league, but I think the wiggle room on depth might make the whole thing more fair and balanced. It would also make future expansion more tenable.

Crash,

I'll try to address your thoughts here so that everyone can get clarity on these details. The idea behind the "no say in the identity" of the teams is so that more people can be and stay involved with all of the teams. Like you said not everyone who is an owner is a big time designer and the other way around. Therefore, we will design the league as a group and then we will apply for teams once they are completed. The thought behind this is that the teams will be property of the league not the owner. Because if we have an owner leave the league the team will stay the same and not be moved or changed based off of the preference of the new owner. So ultimately, the answer is yes to your last question. "Everything will be communal except the running of the team". When you apply for your team you can preference the teams in which had your design and/or nickname won. Does that make sense?

And the answer to your second paragraph is yes we will most likely (or at least the plan is) have 2-12 team leagues. Yes it will be a little awkward (ie Drew Brees) but that is something we should probably do so that we don't have scrubs on all of our benches.

That works.

Crash,

I'll try to address your thoughts here so that everyone can get clarity on these details. The idea behind the "no say in the identity" of the teams is so that more people can be and stay involved with all of the teams. Like you said not everyone who is an owner is a big time designer and the other way around. Therefore, we will design the league as a group and then we will apply for teams once they are completed. The thought behind this is that the teams will be property of the league not the owner. Because if we have an owner leave the league the team will stay the same and not be moved or changed based off of the preference of the new owner. So ultimately, the answer is yes to your last question. "Everything will be communal except the running of the team". When you apply for your team you can preference the teams in which had your design and/or nickname won. Does that make sense?

And the answer to your second paragraph is yes we will most likely (or at least the plan is) have 2-12 team leagues. Yes it will be a little awkward (ie Drew Brees) but that is something we should probably do so that we don't have scrubs on all of our benches.

I'm not 100% sure, but when I was reading the IceHL yearbook, they do have 2 16-team leagues. But I don't think they play against each other at all. So it wouldn't really be a HUGE "issue" to have Drew Brees here and there.

I'm sorry, but i think that it be funner to design your teams uniforms/logos/etc. It just doesnt feel like your team if someone else designed it.

I see what you're saying, I think that you'll have more of a say on the teams that you think. Check out the IceHL site which is what we are modelling ourselves after and check out their balance of individuality and collaboration. If we straight up make our own teams then we are more like a typical concept league as found here on the forums. I hope that makes sense but since there is a small but solid group to start the league you ultimately will be designing every team instead of just your own. It'll have more room for your influence. I am always open for suggestions but I don't want to lose the big idea.

I'm sorry, but i think that it be funner to design your teams uniforms/logos/etc. It just doesnt feel like your team if someone else designed it.

I see what you're saying, I think that you'll have more of a say on the teams that you think. Check out the IceHL site which is what we are modelling ourselves after and check out their balance of individuality and collaboration. If we straight up make our own teams then we are more like a typical concept league as found here on the forums. I hope that makes sense but since there is a small but solid group to start the league you ultimately will be designing every team instead of just your own. It'll have more room for your influence. I am always open for suggestions but I don't want to lose the big idea.

I like the idea of it being communal. It makes it so that the league is its own entity, rather than just a bunch of players. It also means that we can collaborate on a lot of this. On the other hand, we're not (yet?) drawing upon nearly the same community as IceHL is, so we may run into troubles. But troubles are going to happen no matter what. I'm here for the long haul.

Hersh, if you need any help on rule codification, scheduling, or any other sort of organizing, hit me up.

I really like how it was done with the IceHL. Where they went through the process of picking the team's location then moving on to the names and then one to the logos before the jersey. Each section having a vote on what gets picked. I think this is the way we should go. Seeing how we don't know how long each owner is going to be around. If we go with the owner design the uniforms, if they end up leaving mid season or after a season, someone else will get stuck with a design they are not fond of. I say after two seasons or so, we give the current owners that are around a say on whether or not they want to put their team's uniforms up for a redesign or not. But upon putting the uniforms up for a redesign, will open the process up to all designers and then do a vote. The top one wins or the top three the owner can take a look at and have a final say in it.

All in all, I really thing we should stick to have it was done on the IceHL so its open to everyone and it gets a lot more people into this.

I would also like to propose that we somehow have a set of uniform secondary or tertiary logos. Like every team gets a roundel. Or every team has a shield. Something like that to help unify the league while still allowing for really unique logos for each team as the primaries. I know IceHL doesn't have this, but after looking through their yearbook and thinking about the possibilities, especially for website and report designs, it would be really slick and nice to have a set of logos that are individual but unified, akin to the SBNation roundels.

I stayed up way too late last night figuring out how to have playoffs with two separate leagues. It will work, though there is the possibility of having two teams with the same players playing against each other. Conceptually, this doesn't really bother me, though. We just have to make sure the settings in both leagues are identical and we can pull that off fairly easily.

As someone who has been keeping an eye on this thread, I'll say this: I think you'd be well served to drum up some more excitement before moving into league identity formation and all that. There's a lot of great fantasy owners and designers on this board that I think would be more than willing to help in the formation of the league.

It's moving so quickly (and in my opinion a little too quickly) that I don't think you'll get the caliber of submissions for logos/owners/etc. that iceHL got without that initial excitement and interest. I could be wrong, but the iceHL had a much larger following heading into that design phase. With the capabilities of this community, I think you're missing a huge opportunity by focusing on timeline over quality and quantity.

Just my $0.02!

I would also like to propose that we somehow have a set of uniform secondary or tertiary logos. Like every team gets a roundel. Or every team has a shield. Something like that to help unify the league while still allowing for really unique logos for each team as the primaries. I know IceHL doesn't have this, but after looking through their yearbook and thinking about the possibilities, especially for website and report designs, it would be really slick and nice to have a set of logos that are individual but unified, akin to the SBNation roundels.

I stayed up way too late last night figuring out how to have playoffs with two separate leagues. It will work, though there is the possibility of having two teams with the same players playing against each other. Conceptually, this doesn't really bother me, though. We just have to make sure the settings in both leagues are identical and we can pull that off fairly easily.

Though it would be nice to have the actual champions of each league play against each other, but I don't think it's possible at all. So maybe we could do something more simple? Like the team that amassed the most points during the season wins overall or something?

As someone who has been keeping an eye on this thread, I'll say this: I think you'd be well served to drum up some more excitement before moving into league identity formation and all that. There's a lot of great fantasy owners and designers on this board that I think would be more than willing to help in the formation of the league.

It's moving so quickly (and in my opinion a little too quickly) that I don't think you'll get the caliber of submissions for logos/owners/etc. that iceHL got without that initial excitement and interest. I could be wrong, but the iceHL had a much larger following heading into that design phase. With the capabilities of this community, I think you're missing a huge opportunity by focusing on timeline over quality and quantity.

Just my $0.02!

I really agree with this. I think that we should take a step back. Try to get more people interested in this. Wait to vote on the cities and such until we get a bigger audience or expand the time table for voting. What we need to do is get some people out there spreading ads about this league. Not only here but on other places and in fantasy leagues. Maybe instead of just a blog, have a forum for the league in which we can have boards to discuss matters such as logos, the rules and things like that. So that its easier to find things instead of having to scroll through just one thread.

As for my input on the teams and logos.

I think first we need to get a group of the main league logo from various people and save them in one area instead of spread out. Set the limit to 1-2 logos person. Then once we got the main logo, having a contest like thing for conference logos. Before we settle on cities and names.

As for the teams. I think we should have at least the main logo, wordmark. Depending on the designers and how others feel about maybe a secondary logo. Because not all football teams have a secondary.

I can start up a forum for this league if we want to go down that road and I really think it would be great to have for easy of use. Save the blog for all the important stuff in the league. Kind of like a news site. Just my thoughts.

Archived