Interest in Starting a Fantasy Football Concept League (IceHL Style)?

hersheyBears23

As someone who has been keeping an eye on this thread, I'll say this: I think you'd be well served to drum up some more excitement before moving into league identity formation and all that. There's a lot of great fantasy owners and designers on this board that I think would be more than willing to help in the formation of the league.

It's moving so quickly (and in my opinion a little too quickly) that I don't think you'll get the caliber of submissions for logos/owners/etc. that iceHL got without that initial excitement and interest. I could be wrong, but the iceHL had a much larger following heading into that design phase. With the capabilities of this community, I think you're missing a huge opportunity by focusing on timeline over quality and quantity.

Just my $0.02!

I agree. Suggestions on how to spread the appeal? Is there the possibility of getting this stickied in this forum and moving toward an "official" part of the community? I'll admit I wouldn't even know who to talk to about that.

I really agree with this. I think that we should take a step back. Try to get more people interested in this. Wait to vote on the cities and such until we get a bigger audience or expand the time table for voting. What we need to do is get some people out there spreading ads about this league. Not only here but on other places and in fantasy leagues. Maybe instead of just a blog, have a forum for the league in which we can have boards to discuss matters such as logos, the rules and things like that. So that its easier to find things instead of having to scroll through just one thread.

As for my input on the teams and logos.

I think first we need to get a group of the main league logo from various people and save them in one area instead of spread out. Set the limit to 1-2 logos person. Then once we got the main logo, having a contest like thing for conference logos. Before we settle on cities and names.

As for the teams. I think we should have at least the main logo, wordmark. Depending on the designers and how others feel about maybe a secondary logo. Because not all football teams have a secondary.

I can start up a forum for this league if we want to go down that road and I really think it would be great to have for easy of use. Save the blog for all the important stuff in the league. Kind of like a news site. Just my thoughts.

That'd be a good start. Hersh is the commish, but if he's on board, I'm on board, and I can help with just about anything.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely I am on board, I want the league to be as full of a fantasy football experience for everyone as possible. Let's first set up a forum (something I will leave to Kamtos) that will be where we can discuss how we want to proceed. Perhaps the first step would be to develop our league identity. We can use that identity to advertise, build followers and then start the voting and designing process. What does everyone think?

Absolutely I am on board, I want the league to be as full of a fantasy football experience for everyone as possible. Let's first set up a forum (something I will leave to Kamtos) that will be where we can discuss how we want to proceed. Perhaps the first step would be to develop our league identity. We can use that identity to advertise, build followers and then start the voting and designing process. What does everyone think?

Well, moving ourselves out of here will drastically reduce our community to draw from, so it may be a bit early for that. We have unseen people watching and following here, and if we move we may lose them. I think it's probably a bit early to have our own forum. Perhaps we could continue building this thread and see if we can't become a semi-official sportslogos.net entity? We need some type of backing before striking of on our own.

not to be a d-bag, but why is everything about iceHL. it's kindof annoying that we can't do certain things just because iceHL didn't do them. we don't have to exactly copy iceHL. i get it was successful, but we already have like 20 people, so why do we need some people to vote that wouldn't be a team? I think only the team owners should vote because since their in the league they should get to decide what's gonna happen, not an outsiders

StLouisCardinals.png

CowboysClassic_zpsb3d9923d.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

To answer that briefly: because it would then be 2 12 team leagues, no more, no less.

I could be wrong here, but the whole premise of Hersh's idea was to create something similar to the iceHL for football. Their formation was and is still successful, because of the crowdsourced model. Without that, it's 2 16 team leagues that have no "stakeholders" or "fans", and thus, are like any other fantasy league.

not to be a d-bag, but why is everything about iceHL. it's kindof annoying that we can't do certain things just because iceHL didn't do them. we don't have to exactly copy iceHL. i get it was successful, but we already have like 20 people, so why do we need some people to vote that wouldn't be a team? I think only the team owners should vote because since their in the league they should get to decide what's gonna happen, not an outsiders

By doing this we shut off a good part of building a community. We need to be open to everyone and that includes voting. We wouldn't completely move away from here. A forum would give us a good base to talk to each other, to give the owners a place to create and expand on their teams with blogs/newsletters about on goings with the team without cluttering up this forum. We can use this place to show off the logos, to announce voting and the winning designs. But I think having thread after thread about our league right after one another would start to get annoying to some people here.

If we want to create a successful league, we need to branch out on our a little. So we can expand and grow pass the designs, concepts and logos.

Not everything is going to be like the IceHL but this was based upon the idea behind that league. A place were everyone has a say and not just the owners. Because the owners that start out won't be around forever or might just up and vanish. By making it a group vote open to anyone and everyone it will give that connection. It will bring in some new faces to replace the owners who have gone. If you have a closed group on who has say in things, its just going to stay like that and won't really expand.

By doing this we shut off a good part of building a community. We need to be open to everyone and that includes voting. We wouldn't completely move away from here. A forum would give us a good base to talk to each other, to give the owners a place to create and expand on their teams with blogs/newsletters about on goings with the team without cluttering up this forum. We can use this place to show off the logos, to announce voting and the winning designs. But I think having thread after thread about our league right after one another would start to get annoying to some people here.

If we want to create a successful league, we need to branch out on our a little. So we can expand and grow pass the designs, concepts and logos.

Not everything is going to be like the IceHL but this was based upon the idea behind that league. A place were everyone has a say and not just the owners. Because the owners that start out won't be around forever or might just up and vanish. By making it a group vote open to anyone and everyone it will give that connection. It will bring in some new faces to replace the owners who have gone. If you have a closed group on who has say in things, its just going to stay like that and won't really expand.

I agree. And though I argued against striking out on our own just yet, I'm not suggesting that we infest this place with a million threads. But if we have one sticky thread, that'll probably draw more people into the fold.

And forgive this if it's a faux pas, but I can put up some prizes for design contests, if we think that will help.

Maybe we should talk to some of the IceHL guys and some of the officials here and see if we can't get some people with followings on board with us?

Slightly off topic here, but I don't want to cluster up the forum with meaningless topics to others.

Right now, I'm starting up a fantasy baseball league with my own friends (outside of CCSLC) and just like this, they started to hear about how popular it might be because like IceHL, I'm designing the team uniforms and whatnot (guess I'm popular or something, haha).

But now we're getting so many players that we may have to split up the league into halves, similar to IceHL East and IceHL West and go from there.

But the question is (maybe HersheyBears knows this?), how do they determine the "overall" champion since two different fantasy "leagues" can't really play against each other...? Is it overall points gained during the season or what...?

Thanks for the insight.

But the question is (maybe HersheyBears knows this?), how do they determine the "overall" champion since two different fantasy "leagues" can't really play against each other...? Is it overall points gained during the season or what...?

It'll be fairly simple with football, since there are so few actual weeks of competition. We could just essentially ignore everything but the scores in the actual league, since we'd be writing about them, anyway, and have a self-constructed head-to-head schedule. This would simply continue during the playoffs, and the champions of each league would play each other in the championship. Yahoo, if that's where we end up, wouldn't reflect this at all, but since there's nothing lost by assigning who is playing who when, rather than going by Yahoo's schedule, it will essentially be the same as any other league in practice.

With baseball, hockey, basketball... any sport with a gazillion games each season ... that's going to be much more difficult, though if you simply make your own playoffs schedule, you can have the two leagues play each other with no problem.

It'll be fairly simple with football, since there are so few actual weeks of competition. We could just essentially ignore everything but the scores in the actual league, since we'd be writing about them, anyway, and have a self-constructed head-to-head schedule. This would simply continue during the playoffs, and the champions of each league would play each other in the championship. Yahoo, if that's where we end up, wouldn't reflect this at all, but since there's nothing lost by assigning who is playing who when, rather than going by Yahoo's schedule, it will essentially be the same as any other league in practice.

With baseball, hockey, basketball... any sport with a gazillion games each season ... that's going to be much more difficult, though if you simply make your own playoffs schedule, you can have the two leagues play each other with no problem.

I can understand your standpoint for football, as it'll be easy to figure out.

But what I'm looking for is suggestions of how to determine the "overall" champion of a baseball league.

thanks

I can understand your standpoint for football, as it'll be easy to figure out.

But what I'm looking for is suggestions of how to determine the "overall" champion of a baseball league.

thanks

Why not the same way? Take the last few weeks of the season, set up a schedule for your playoffs, and go. Granted, it's more complicated than three games, but it could be done fairly easily.

I sooooo agree with drdougfresh. We need to open up the designing process to other members of the CCSLC communtiy because frankly, they can do some awesome things. Trust me that the overall design of the league will be so much better. A majority of us involved in this league are new CCSLC and you might be great artists, but I haven't seen what you can do. People like drdougfresh though have these amazing series (speaking of which what happened to the CIBL. Could be be really valuable to the process

Hello,

I have occasionally worked my way around this website admiring the work a lot of people can do on logos and such. This particular idea really sparked my interest. I really don't have a lot of designing expertise, but if you have an opening for a very passionate football fan who would really like to join a more serious fantasy league I would love to jump on board with this concept. I love the idea of of a community based league. Hopefully I can get in on this on the ground floor but if you are just looking for designers to start I can respect that.

Hey all,

Long time follower, first time poster on this site. This particular thread (along with RaySox' Yakball thread) has peaked my interest enough to finally get involved. Im not worth a darn for designing but I would love to "GM" a team if there are still open teams. I've read up on the IceHL and it seems like a great concept that takes the fantasy football idea to another level. Anyways, if there are any available spots for a GM I would love to get involved!

I think it'd be a lot smarter to keep the league here and have a thread dedicated to the league, rather than starting a new forum. But that's just me.

Agreed. The audience we will be able to reach here is much more significant and will also provide a way to get to some top-notch sports designers.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

Archived