NASL Indianapolis 'name the team'

mcrosby

The NASL has awarded an expansion team to Indy, and with that, the chance to name the team.

The team has given 4 options as well as an write-in space.

The options:

Athletic

Majestic

Speed

United

The most interesting part of this: The survey asks which colors the voter prefers. I hope the NASL leaves the naming and color choices to the fans but gets a pro to develop the identity.

Pretty much the entire identity has already been all but made up for months now—or at least, I guess I should say, the one that at last check was garnering the most support on FB—they've already got scarves, nicknames ("Brickers") and the whole nine.

If the club name ends up being anything other than a black-white-and-green-clad Racing Indy FC, it'll be one super heckuva surprise. (Not that I'll be around to see it or anything like that, though.) Which is to say I don't even see the point in this name-the-team contest. Especially since the given choices all pretty well suck.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

But you got your scarf, don't you? :P

I remember when I first found that group on FB, of which I was a part before I shut my account off (check the sig below--you'll see that crest in there). Whoever spearheaded that movement deserves a ton of credit. And I also remember thinking to myself, when I first saw the proposed crest and initial concepts, that black/white/green was an unexpected approach (the far-too-predictable blue and white with maybe some dark red would have been more expected--I myself fell victim to that with an Indy pro soccer fantasy concept I started working on a long time ago but never finished). No one really thinks of Indy and sees black/white/green--but when you think of racing flags (the checkered and "go" flags), it begins to make so much sense it ain't even funny. Of course then came the whole Brickyard Battalion thing(which I also assimilated myself into)...and I knew they had solid footing there.

In my mind, the whole thing's almost ready-made to go. That's primarily why I can't see any other identity being applied to this future team. I'll just have to remind myself to get a scarf before they all run out.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

Apparently, this note was posted amongst the comments on the Indy Pro Soccer "Name the Team" page:

James….and anyone else desiring Racing Indy or variations of it….please note that we received a message from the IMS this week letting us know they would need to protect their IP rights if the team pursued that name.

peter

The "Peter" in question is Indy Pro Soccer team president Peter Wilt. The "IMS" referenced is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This being the case, I'm guessing that the new Indianapolis-based NASL franchise is not going to be named Racing Indy.

All of that being said, I'd opt for one of the following spins on the Athletic option...

AC Indianapolis

AC Indiana

Athletic Club Indianapolis

Athletic Club Indiana

Indianapolis AC

Indiana AC

Indianapolis Athletic Club

Indiana Athletic Club

This would allow the supporters to informally dub the club "the Racers", with ownership/management explaining to the IMS that they can't dictate the franchise's unofficial nickname to the team's fans.

Sounds like a good time to form a relationship with IMS.

No doubt. I mean, I'd hate to see all that great imagery that's already been created go by the wayside. That said, I certainly understand where IMS is coming from in this situation, so from a business end it makes sense.

$$$...that's about all I can think of. Perhaps they feel a newly minted Racing Indy would profit off their name/heritage or something. (Isn't that about what "protecting intellectual property" boils down to, anyway?)

Unrelated, sort of, earlier today I saw through another media outlet another proposal: "Crossroads United". Setting aside the fact that I can't see or hear the word "crossroads" without immediately humming the Bone Thugs N' Harmony classic song of the same name right behind it, may not be best suggestion in the world, but it's certainly not the worst one, either.

$$$...that's about all I can think of. Perhaps they feel a newly minted Racing Indy would profit off their name/heritage or something. (Isn't that about what "protecting intellectual property" boils down to, anyway?)

Of course it does. When has anybody ever suggested that it was about something other than money?

Looks like an Athletic variation would officially be AC. Personally, I think Athletic fits the city well. I can't think of any city where sport is such an important part of the city (from all the national championships in absofreakinlutely everything that it hosts.)

rATMcmK.png

I agree that te IMS has to attempt to protect their property, however I can't see how they would win a ruling for "racing" considering its so generic. "Brickers," "brickyard fc," or similar I do agree infringes.

I don't agree that naming the team that is trying to gain fans. Racing and mainly Indy car racing is part of the identity of the city and its bigger than just the IMS. Many people work in the industry, open wheel racing in the US is headquartered here, the town shuts down for the races, and heck, the city marathon ends with 2.5 miles around the track. Plus there is little to no overlap in fan bases.

Now I think it's in the NASL's team best interest not to pursue it. The team isn't going to gain or lose fans based on the name.

The "athletic" name is growing on me based on all sports being such a big deal to Indy though.

Archived