Terrible team names (for logos) that persist

hockey week

There are certain names that somehow refuse to go away that are just terrible.

Two immediately come to mind: Lakers and Blades.

There is no way to really make a logo that displays what a Laker is. Yeah, we know what it is, but every team that uses it has a wordmark, an anchor, or a ship's wheel as their logo. It's a terrible name and it just keeps popping up.

The other one is Blades. It's used a lot in hockey, and we all know it's the skate blades, and it might sound good, but what do you really show as a logo? It always ends up a skate, or occasionally, a sword, but none of them are really good.

What other names are like that? Common, or at least not extinct, but terrible to depict with a logo.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pretty much any abstract concept or thing you cannot see:

Thunder, Fury, Reign, Pride, Rage, Wild

Or inanimate objects:

Nets

Or any hockey team whose nickname starts with Ice:

IceFlyers, IceGators, IceBears (all in the SPHL)

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

It's one thing when there is a single instance of a name, especially when it's at a high level. Steelers works in Pittsburgh, Bills works in Buffalo, and even though it makes no sense, there's no going back on the LA Lakers now.

What I mean are names that keep getting used on new teams, junior teams, college teams, minor league teams, etc.

I went to a college whose nickname was Lakers, and the running joke is that you have to define what it is before you graduate. Creating the new look for their ACHA team was brutally difficult.

Then in one of the other threads, someone said that Blades was the winner for San Jose's NHL team, they went with Sharks, the #2 choice.

WHY WAS BLADES PICKED?! Never is there a good logo with that, including Saskatoon and the old Erie Blades. Doesn't happen. Those kinds of names, when they get reused Again and again, and there's no reason for it.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Hilltoppers

wkutowel.jpg

We have a high school team named the Hilltoppers here in VA. Their mascot is a ram which is known to hang out on cliffs.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Archived