NHL by JCRGraphix

JCRGraphix

Now that the NHL is back on ice, I decided to redesign the NHL. Instead of the way most of these things go, where somebody starts with Anaheim and does it alphabetically until about Colorado before quitting, I decided to go in a random order. There are a LOT of Anaheim, Boston, and Buffalo concepts, but I'll get to those. For now, I decided to start with St. Louis. For this design, I used elements from different uniforms of theirs in the past as well as a few new little touches. Here are a few of the ones it's based on:

Blues08.pngBlues09.pngBlues22.png

blues_zps35bf1b9c.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next up are the Nashville Predators. This design reflects the rich history of hockey here in the South. The design, especially the Winter Classic/Third Jersey is based on the Nashville Dixie Flyers of the EHL in the 1960s. Here are some pictures of the Dixie Flyers

NashvilleWhiteJerseys.jpgNashvilleDixieFlyersTeamPhoto200h.jpg7YearsGeorgeStandingNashvilleVCharlotteGoalie.jpg

preds_zps124f6fa9.png

holy :censored: that's fantastic.

Not a fan of the laces being the same colour as the collar on that one, not sure why, usually I'm okay with it. Also, I would put the shoulder patches on both sides. But anyways a great concept

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

These are all really good man!!!

I love the white logo for the blues, love the color updated and classic look of the stars, although I think they could use some black accents. The Preds look really nice, the new look would give them such a unique identity (something they are lacking).

Cant wait to see my Wings man!!!

Next up are the Vancouver Canucks. My favorite jerseys the Canucks wore were from the early 90s when I first got into hockey. The jerseys are basically the same as the early 90's ones with the Johnny Canuck logo instead of the skate monstrosity. Also, I added the original (recolored) Canucks logo as a shoulder patch. Here are the early 90's ones.

mclean_full.jpeggamblet.jpg

I know some people will complain about taking green out of the NHL color palette, but don't worry, I'll be putting it back in different places.

canucks_zps47153012.png

Here are my thoughts on your project so far:

Blues: Looks pretty good. No real complaints, although the white winged music note logo on the blue jerseys looks odd to me (But then again, I'm not used to white on the Blues' logo).

Stars: Maybe I'm being biased since I loved the look of the Minnesota North Stars, but this set is beautiful, especially with the green.

Predators: This is an interesting, yet neat looking set. The modern looking Sabre-tooth tiger on stripes gives these unis a neat look. The third jersey is classy as well.

Canucks: Holy cow, you actually made the black, red, and yellow actually look good on Vancouver! Probably my favorite of this series so far.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for all of the input. Good stuff! Up next are the defending Stanley Cup Champs. I actually really like what they've done with their uniforms recently going back to black and silver. For their design, I didn't change too much. Basically, I changed the striping a little bit to look a little more like the early 90's Kings, and added something new, a silver third jersey. Also, I resurrected the old crown logo from the 1960s recolored to match their new look. Here are their current and early 90s unis:

quick.jpg201091922541727.1.jpg

kings_zps7e1f1618.png

So the past few days have been pretty hectic at work (I do graphic design/public affairs/tuba for the U.S. Army Materiel Command Band and my own band) so I haven't really had any time for concepts until tonight. I did however make this awesome concert poster for my band the Funky Pirates Jazz Band (like us on facebook!!!).

mardigras_zps30cff2ba.png

So anyways, up next are the Calgary Flames. Since I grew up in the 90s, I have always liked the uniforms from that era. That being said, for the flames, I used the basic design of their uniforms from that era, but added the lace-up sweater, which in my opinion, gives it a classier look. I also made a third jersey using the horse head logo recolored to match the rest of the set. Here are some early 90s sweaters for comparison

vernon.jpglemelin.jpg

Thoughts?

flames_zpse165869e.png

Flames look really good! I keep going back and forth on how much i like their throwback reds and i think it's the striping. The way you have the red home jersey there makes it look a lot better, classy, and doesn't look out of place in the modern day. The only thing i'd suggest is having the collar still be red with the same stripes, but the laces do work. Good job! This series is turning out really well.

All very good stuff. Congrats. Just minor comments.

Blues: I would switch the white music note (on the blue jersey) to a yellow music note with dark blue outline, or something like it. Same for the BLUES letters.

Stars: Love the way you mixed vintage stars striping to something more modern. IMHO, it fits better for the Stars then the Jets. Great ideas.

Canucks: Some white on the logo on front would be better IMHO, but it could certainly stay like it is. Fun concept.

Archived