Super Bowl XLVII

rainmaker17

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit off-topic, but I would push for colour-vs-colour matchups all the time if I had any weight in any sports league. I think it would work really well for hockey, though. The problem with the NHL (again, in my opinion) is that too many team's primaries are either red, black or blue. I get that this is mainly for historical reasons, and issues of contrast, but then, why keep the white sweaters at all in this age of colour TV? White uniforms on white ice seems like much more of a visual problem to me than, say, the black puck whizzing around the white ice.

I admit, that's why I can't stand the white-at-home hockey tradition so many people miss (and the minors still use).

I get it in basketball - white uniforms highlight the home team against the court and crowd. But a game played on a white surface, often surrounded by white boards?

The reason I think color vs. color should be allowed...is for one simple reason.

Requiring white at either home or on the road was a result of the first televised games. TVs were black and white back then, so you had to be able to tell them apart.

Now that TV's been in color for about 50 years, there's no point anymore. Just do a "regular" and a "clash" uniform set like the soccer leagues do.

bYhYmxh.png

There are lots of charity events around the SB and this one's pretty cool. They held a flag football game to benefit former Saint Steve Gleason's ALS organization. It was between Wounded Warriors who are amputees vs. former NFL players (hardly seems fair but whatever).

Here's a guy with one arm making a pick:

12198325-standard.jpg

And a double-amputee not holding anything back:

12198323-standard.jpg

Story here, pics here.

Gleason's lost a lot, but his sense of humor is clearly intact. During a press conference in which he had to speak through a special computer gadget, he said:

===

“What is most humbling you ask? To be honest, having someone else wash my balls,” Gleason said eliciting eye-tearing laughter and applause from the reporters gathered for his press conference.

“Anything else?” he added with perfect comedic timing.

===

That story here.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The reason I think color vs. color should be allowed...is for one simple reason.

Requiring white at either home or on the road was a result of the first televised games. TVs were black and white back then, so you had to be able to tell them apart.

Now that TV's been in color for about 50 years, there's no point anymore. Just do a "regular" and a "clash" uniform set like the soccer leagues do.

If you don't want people saying "soccer blows," don't bring it up in conversations about other sports. I don't particularly care about anything they do in soccer. Clash jerseys, moving up and down leagues - dumb ideas. I don't dislike soccer, per se (it barely exists to me), but I get a little miffed when people keep bringing up its crappy traditions in relation to other sports.

It doesn't matter that football teams had color vs color match-ups in the '30s. The aesthetics of football have been established over the last 60 years. It looks much cleaner and more proper to have white vs color match-ups. Yes, you can tell green from navy, but the visual contrast is not as stark as green vs white.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I just don't see Baltimore losing this game. With all the motivation, all the focus, all the adversity. People are Kaep's offense is so explosive, but they haven't faced a defense on the same level as the Ravens. Lewis is like a general on that field, he's literally the Peyton Manning of defense. I guarantee he's going to have his guys sharp. It will be a close game, but I think it's going to come down to who can capitalize most on opportunities. I think Baltimore's going to have that advantage.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

I just don't see Baltimore losing this game. With all the motivation, all the focus, all the adversity. People are Kaep's offense is so explosive, but they haven't faced a defense on the same level as the Ravens. Lewis is like a general on that field, he's literally the Peyton Manning of defense. I guarantee he's going to have his guys sharp. It will be a close game, but I think it's going to come down to who can capitalize most on opportunities. I think Baltimore's going to have that advantage.

Great, now you've done it! Now I know who to blame if the Ravens lose.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

So here's my predicted score from Madden:

Ravens 27, 49ers 24.

Total Yards: BAL 373.7 SF 380.4

Passing Yards: BAL 302.1 SF 260.2

Rushing Yards: BAL 71.6 SF 120.2

Turnovers BAL 0.7 SF 1

TOP: BAL 28 SF 32

BAL PASS: Flacco, 22/35, 320 yards, 3 TD

BAL RUN: Rice, 15 carries, 55 yards

BAL REC: Boldin, 8 catches, 150 yards, 2 TD

BAL MVP: Flacco or Boldin

SF PASS: Kaepernick, 20/33, 270 yards 2 TD, INT

SF RUN: Gore, 20 carries, 95 yards, TD

SF REC: Davis, 7 catches, 90 yards, TD

SF MVP: Karpernick.

In my simulations, the Ravens won 12 times vs. the Niners 8 times. Let's see how close a video game can get.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I admit, that's why I can't stand the white-at-home hockey tradition so many people miss (and the minors still use).

I get it in basketball - white uniforms highlight the home team against the court and crowd. But a game played on a white surface, often surrounded by white boards?

I prefer white at home so that you're not always seeing the same matchup when you go in person. I'm a partial Rangers season ticket holder, and every game is now blue vs. white. I liked it better when you had all sorts of color matchups in person.

Now yes, the flip side of that would be every road game is blue vs. white. However, I'd rather see the variety of different colors in person than on TV if I had a say.

Of course, I'm going to completely contradict myself with that by saying football teams should wear their colored sets at home. I guess it's just really how it was when growing up? (Obviously I'm therefore not old enough for the original colors at home era in the NHL...)

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I just hope the game dosent end up being boring or a blowout. Or a boring blowout.

And I didn't know where to post this but here's some useless Super Bowl facts.

1.The Ravens made the Super Bowl twice in Nike made jerseys and none in Reebok.

2.A Super Bowl III re-match will never happen again.

I just hope the game dosent end up being boring or a blowout. Or a boring blowout.

And I didn't know where to post this but here's some useless Super Bowl facts.

1.The Ravens made the Super Bowl twice in Nike made jerseys and none in Reebok.

2. A Super Bowl III re-match will never happen again.

Never say never. There's always a rare but not impossible conference change.

Unless it's never b/c it involved the Jets. Then we know that's true since they'll never, ever be back.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived