Unused Penguins prototypes

habsfan1

I don't think these were even shown before.

http://www.icethetic...ed-penguin.html

0121-pit-vwa-jerseys.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1358823096965

0121-pit-vwa-drawings.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1358823368372

While I prefer the iconic skating penguin, I think the Pens got it right by eschewing those designs in the 1990s. The final choices worked out fine for the decade, and I liked the boldness of utilizing the striping of the robo penguin on the black alternate/later road jersey.

The white version of the one with the "Pittsburgh" going diagonal is sexy. Makes me wish they had gone with that for the home sweater, especially since the black version is probably my favorite Penguins jersey of all time. The Black version of the white one they went with isn't bad, either. Pretty much all of the other designs, however, fall well short IMO. Especially the other logo concepts. I've always liked the robopigeon for its simplicity and symmetry (well, kindof).

Interesting to note, however, that they were already thinking about going to vegas gold.

oBIgzrL.png

The white version of the one with the "Pittsburgh" going diagonal is sexy. Makes me wish they had gone with that for the home sweater, especially since the black version is probably my favorite Penguins jersey of all time. The Black version of the white one they went with isn't bad, either. Pretty much all of the other designs, however, fall well short IMO. Especially the other logo concepts. I've always liked the robopigeon for its simplicity and symmetry (well, kindof).

I have to agree. It just flows so perfectly with the obvious triangular symmetry. I never really was a fan of the shoulder yoke anyway (it didn't fit since the angles were much more acute). That V-neck striping is absolutely beautiful, and as an extra bonus, the Robo-Pen looks best as a shoulder patch anyway (due to the simplicity as you mentioned, plus the lines on the top-right side of the logo evoking movement). Still not sure how I feel about the actual workmark though. The Rangers would be the next team to claim copying next to the Bruins (for the colors) since that script definitely gives off a Rangers-esque vibe. Perhaps a more stylized, creative wordmark would suffice better than the simple block-style lettering.

Anyways, I love the prototypes that are posted since I'm an obvious fan of the Robo-Pen era. Thanks for the new (or old) stuff.

EDIT: Something else I find interesting is how they were considering vegas gold designs in the 90's. It makes you wonder if it would be put in the same category of the tacky 90s, instead of the modern classic that many consider the current look to be now (since it was established in the 2000s instead of the 90s).

Those loopy Pittsburgh/Penguins scripts are awesome. They have a certain character that their boring, vaguely-extreme-sports one lacks. There's no way they could have worn a sweater that just said "Pens," though.

I really like the design in the lower-left corner, but I'd have used the skating penguin as a crest and not bothered with the diagonal lettering, which I don't go crazy over like most people do here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

0121-pit-vwa-drawings.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1358823368372

The Penguins were apparantly going to use four jerseys! All the above jerseys look so superior to not only the current set but back to back cup era set it's almost depressing. If they had to go with only two, they should have used the ones on the right with the crests.

Count me among those who are surprised to learn they were considering the vegas gold so early. I always thought the robo-penguin in vegas gold looked great as a shoulder patch. Make that the crest with the gold being shiny/textured like the Lightning used to do with their silver and you really have something.

Certainly interesting looking at the prototype logos and seeing how the ended up evolving into the final Robopen design. One of them has way too much empty space above the penguin's head, so I can see why they ditched that.

I like the one shown on the video where it's just the logo on the black jersey, too bad they ended up going with the Rangers-esque text instead, not that that's a bad look in itself but I generally prefer graphics over text.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

While I prefer the iconic skating penguin, I think the Pens got it right by eschewing those designs in the 1990s. The final choices worked out fine for the decade, and I liked the boldness of utilizing the striping of the robo penguin on the black alternate/later road jersey.

I agree with this too. Like someone else on another site pointed out, I don't think that Penguins fans hated this look. It was a good look, but a very large portion of the fan base still had a strong connection to the skating penguin, which is why they introduced an alt with the classic logo on it, until it transitioned into the primary mark.

I personally thought that "robo-penguin" was a big upgrade over the skating penguin, but the background history make this change somewhat understandable. Although I do really like the current Vegas gold classic Penguin logo. It does two things: everybody's going back to classic logos today so they made the right choice cause it still fits, and also the current shade of gold differentiates it from the Bruins.

I like the black sweater here:

0121-pit-vwa-more.png

I find that Penguins script repulsive for some reason. It looks like something on the cover of a chocolate box. I agree, I like the black jersey too.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

The diagonal Pittsburgh looks like the Rangers because their first ever jersey had it. The reason? Their first coach once played for the Rangers and liked the look. Personally, I've always thought that the Rangers shouldn't have monopoly over it simply because they're an Original Six team. The Pens only got away with copying the Bruins' colors because they never were "copying" them in the first place (our first NHL team, the Pirates, did it before the Bruins ever did), but the NHL's always had a hard-on for the six teams that happened to survive the great depression. That's not to say it makes the look, though. I agree, put the robo-pigeon on the crest of that thing and you have the perfect penguins jersey.

oBIgzrL.png

Archived