Canadian Rugby Premiership

nas1787

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This next one might be a bit controversial as it is the only team based off a former franchise. I figure if any sport is going to have a team named after the Irish, rugby is the sport to do it. I imagine the St. Pats as being an MLSE owned club (meaning they'd likely be bottom of the table) and they decide to brand them based on the St. Pats hockey team. I think the striping of this St. Pats jersey would work well as a rugby jersey, so the home kit is based on it.

ccmjer550vtorstp-2.jpg

The logo is based on this:

280.gif

I added the trinity knot to add some visual interest, and it is used on the alternate kit as a sublimated image. The alt is also a light grey rather than straight white.

ImfvP3K.jpg

Love the colors and both sets of kit. Love the nickname. Love the logo. But please, please, please, don't let MLSE own them. :)

As a Toronto sports fan, I am with you on that.

For Edmonton I went with something a bit different. I imagined the Bay as the kit sponsor, and for their home kit rather than have the Bay logo on the front as is customary, I used the design of the iconic Bay Blanket for the entire jersey. I feel as if the Bay Blanket is recognizable enough that people will know who the sponsor is. I do feel that maybe this would work better as an alternate rather than the home, but for now this is how I have it. The alternate is just a straight black and gold affair. Crest and wordmark are pretty self-explanatory.

U4WXUTd.jpg

Wow this whole series is really neat, and there are a number of jerseys (Quebec Home, Saskatchewan Alternate, Toronto Home) that I would go out and buy if they were in stores. Really neat job overall.

Thanks. Glad you like it!

No love for Edmonton? Here's another then.

I wanted to use gold in Hamilton's kit, but use it sparingly and make sure it was distinct from the Ti-Cats. Thus the double grey. I'm not overly fond of the crest. The chain is from the Hamilton flag, but I wasn't too sure what to do inside the circle. Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

lQW6vN9.jpg

No love for Edmonton? Here's another then.

Yup. There is love for Edmonton here. I haven't said anything because I have been anxiously looking forward to more and forgot to comment. The thing I like about Edmonton are the Bay colors. Often in rugby you'll find a jersey with a bunch of colors that may or may not go together and one might do a double take on first look. Sometimes what that mishmash of colors signifies is a combination of two clubs colors that have combined to create one new club. The Bay colors, IMO, give the Edmonton kit that rugby "united" feel and adds to the "realism" of this set.

I really like what you have done with Hamilton as well. I like the slight contrast in the jersey and shorts on the main set.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Here's Montreal. Seeing as the club name is Rouges, I went with a double red colour scheme. I'm not sure if Quebecers would be smitten with a team with St. George's cross on it's crest, but I took it from Montreal's flag. It provides a nice counter to Quebec City as well, with the light blue and fleur-de-lys. The large M (and team name) is meant to be a bit of a nod to the Montreal Maroons as well. Hope you like.

RkM51W6.jpg

The blanket motif on Edmonton's kit works well also because Edmonton was originally Fort Edmonton, a trading fort for the Hudson's Bay Company, which is now the Bay.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Next up is my current city of Vancouver. I wanted to go with a double blue colour scheme as an allusion to the double blue of sea and sky here on the west coast. The name Blues seemed to fit well with that as well. The wavy lines are taken from Vancouver's city flag. I like the wave kit, but I think it works better as an alternate because its a bit out there.

1qeRCcd.jpg

I'm just joining this series now, and I've got to say that every set has been pretty much phenomenal. I'd definitely go out and buy most of the jerseys if they were real, ESPECIALLY the Vancouver set.

As a fellow rugby union fan, I'm tempted to make my first project an American rugby league.

sport-scarf_devils_zps117fda40.png

I'm just joining this series now, and I've got to say that every set has been pretty much phenomenal. I'd definitely go out and buy most of the jerseys if they were real, ESPECIALLY the Vancouver set.

As a fellow rugby union fan, I'm tempted to make my first project an American rugby league.

Thanks! And you should definitely do some American rugby concepts, I'd love to see them.

Just a couple more to go! Here's Ottawa.

I wanted to give the nation's capital a super classy, traditional look. So they don't have an official nickname, but are rather just Ottawa RFC. The crest is meant to look traditional, and I think the pinstripes and sash are both quite classy. I imagine with the beaver in the crest they may take on the unofficial nickname of the Beavers.

H1uUhzv.jpg

The last club will be Winnipeg.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I've had a lot of fun doing this, and so I may end up doing a similar concept for the US. It'd be great for a North American championship, where the Canadian and US champion would square off. I don't have as much knowledge of American cities though, but it could be a great chance to take requests for cities and club names.

Winnipeg will be posted later today.

Archived