Your uniform-related beliefs

johnnysama

If the Yankees ever do an alternate, there's a simple solution: a navy blue jersey with a white NY on the chest. That's all you need to do. Same hat, same pants.

The problem with a Yankees alternate is that they could never wear it at home. Aside from the home pinstripes being untouchable and unbeatable, seeing the Yankees in pinstripes is part of the experience of seeing them play in the Bronx. If I were a New Yorker who could only make it to one game here or there an out of town fan catching a game as part of my trip to New York I want to see the Yankees playing in pinstripes. The experience is lessened if the one time I get to see them play in New York they take the field in glorified softball tops.

So that leaves you with keeping alternates confined to the road. Except that teams like to wear their alternates at home, to help expose them to the fanbase. Which is problematic for the Yankees.

Honestly, I rather see the Yankees remain alternate-less.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/21/2013 at 5:30 PM, Ice_Cap said:
On 2/21/2013 at 4:08 PM, CRichardson said:

If the Yankees ever do an alternate, there's a simple solution: a navy blue jersey with a white NY on the chest. That's all you need to do. Same hat, same pants.

The problem with a Yankees alternate is that they could never wear it at home. Aside from the home pinstripes being untouchable and unbeatable, seeing the Yankees in pinstripes is part of the experience of seeing them play in the Bronx. If I were a New Yorker who could only make it to one game here or there an out of town fan catching a game as part of my trip to New York I want to see the Yankees playing in pinstripes. The experience is lessened if the one time I get to see them play in New York they take the field in glorified softball tops.

So that leaves you with keeping alternates confined to the road. Except that teams like to wear their alternates at home, to help expose them to the fanbase. Which is problematic for the Yankees.

I tend to agree. Hell, a couple of years ago I went to Wrigley and caught the Cubs in their blue alts. I'd already been to Wrigely four or five times and had always seen them in their pinstripes, but I was disappointed all the same. If that was my only trip ever, I'd have been pretty indignant.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I tend to agree. Hell, a couple of years ago I went to Wrigley and caught the Cubs in their blue alts. I'd already been to Wrigely four or five times and always seen them in their pinstripes, but I was disappointed all the same. If that was my only trip ever, I'd have been pretty indignant.

I'm a Cubs fan, and I think the Cubs alternate blue tops are the worst. I can't stand them, especially on the road with the gray pants. I have no idea why they've been wearing those so long. I think their road uniforms need a change. Their home uniforms, of course, are great, but those gray unis are so bland.

The Pistons' colors are derived from the Detroit city flag.

I believe no team should have Red, White, and Blue as their franchise colors UNLESS their mascot was something to do with American History or the team is located in Washington DC. Teams such as the 76ers, Patriots, and Texans are all fine. But the Pistons, Clippers, Bills, and Hawks need to get more creative. There are a TON of color combinations and schemes that are not being used.

They tried that...it failed:

245920_crop_650x440.jpg?1315577839

Image is nothing...thirst is everything...obey your thirst...Sprite.

Sprite_Logo.jpg

(if you've followed Grant Hill's career, you should know the above post)

MLB:

-White pants at home

-Grey pants on the road

-If the away team wants to wear an alt, they have to go through the home team (eliminates some dark vs. dark games, also gives the home team an "advantage" if the away team has a streak wearing a certain alt)

-Batting helmet has to match the cap

-No phantom numbers (Angels, Rays)

-I like roundels (Twins, Mets, Blue Jays), but when teams go lazy (Padres, Nats, Astros), it just looks bad

-Don't emphasize on black very much(Marlins, Rockies especially, Giants to an extent) unless you are the White Sox

-Pants can only be white/cream/sand/off white, grey or powder blue. Don't go the softball route

-No plain pants. Either put pinstripes or piping on 'em

NFL:

-No grey facemasks unless grey is one of your prominent colors (Bills)

-Monochrome isn't one of my pet peeves, in fact I kind of like it (http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/ef8b4fkpheod5fqf8opiikp8b/Buffalo_Bills/2002/Home_Uniform call me crazy, but this uniform could go a long way), but make the socks a different color

-Don't wear a throwback unless it is an anniversary season (Bills white throwbacks) unless you are the Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day

-For the love of God, wear team colored cleats

-Its about time for TV numbers to go. It can free up the uniform a lot, and with HDTVs, they aren't really needed anymore

-Don't use any more than 2 stripe patterns (sleeve/socks,helmet/pants should match)

-Stripes on pants shouldn't go away just because you make the pants color darker (Saints, Ravens)

All I can think of.

spacer.png

Here's another uniform superstition: the Florida Marlins were invincible in the 2003 postseason when donning the Black unis instead of road Gray.

Something about the Marlins' Black being superimposed against Wrigley Field and the Cubs' White in the NLCS made it look like Florida was awakening the Billy Goat Curse, priest/Exorcism-style.

beckett_display_image.jpg?1287078709

10127531B~Ivan-Rodriguez-2003-NLCS-Game-6-Posters.jpg

Here's another uniform superstition: the Florida Marlins were invincible in the 2003 postseason when donning the Black unis instead of road Gray.

Something about the Marlins' Black being superimposed against Wrigley Field and the Cubs' White in the NLCS made it look like Florida was awakening the Billy Goat Curse, priest/Exorcism-style.

beckett_display_image.jpg?1287078709

10127531B~Ivan-Rodriguez-2003-NLCS-Game-6-Posters.jpg

The Marlins have been wearing black instead of gray for almost the entire tenure of Jeffrey Loria. Half the time they wear it at home, too. It certainly hasn't brought them any great success.

I'm not suggesting that the Yankees NEED an alternate, I'm just saying that if MLB pressure/rule required it, I think doing a "Yankees" word mark on either of their existing jerseys would be unobtrusive. Their pinstripes saying "New York" instead of NY would not be that glaring of a difference.

• 11 months later...

Admit it, you have a set of beliefs surrounding sports uniforms. Share them here.

----

I, johnnysama, believe that.......

From a practical sense, pullover jerseys in baseball make sense; the belted pants/pullover jersey combo is a nice compromise between tradition and modern.

I agree with that sentiment, though I wouldn't automatically dismiss sansabelt pants either. I have no problem with a pullover jersey and mid-calf length belted pants being made the standard baseball uniform.

Admit it, you have a set of beliefs surrounding sports uniforms. Share them here.

----

In (American) football, black shoes are soo 1960s. It's the 21st century, you should wear either white (because I think they make you look fast), or with the advent of the colored shoes, those, even if they may contain a little black in them.

From a practical sense, pullover jerseys in baseball make sense; the belted pants/pullover jersey combo is a nice compromise between tradition and modern.

It's OK if you want to try gold in place of a white jersey, if your team wears that color.

1. There is no such thing as American football as I believe it is Football only and that other sport is Soccer!

2. I hate baseball uniforms as usually there is TOO MUCH white and gray and not enough colors in uniforms. I would like to see teams wear colored pants like NFL teams on the road.

3. The sleeved jerseys in the NBA makes me think I am watching the WNBA.

4. NCAA College Football teams should only be allowed to have a maximum of 2 helmets for an entire season.

spacer.png

I agree with that sentiment, though I wouldn't automatically dismiss sansabelt pants either. I have no problem with a pullover jersey and mid-calf length belted pants being made the standard baseball uniform.

Wait... you like pullovers?? When the :censored: did this happen? There was NO evidence of your love of these before... I'm shocked.

Edit: Did you really search through a thread that's been inactive for a year just to continue to bombard us with your stupid obsession? Get a life, dude.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

----

In (American) football, black shoes are soo 1960s. It's the 21st century, you should wear either white (because I think they make you look fast), or with the advent of the colored shoes, those, even if they may contain a little black in them.

It's OK if you want to try gold in place of a white jersey, if your team wears that color.

1. There is no such thing as American football as I believe it is Football only and that other sport is Soccer!

2. I hate baseball uniforms as usually there is TOO MUCH white and gray and not enough colors in uniforms. I would like to see teams wear colored pants like NFL teams on the road.

3. The sleeved jerseys in the NBA makes me think I am watching the WNBA.

4. NCAA College Football teams should only be allowed to have a maximum of 2 helmets for an entire season.

I believe my couch is going to turn into a horse. that's a belief that's similar to yours. Also, there are forms of football besides Association and American, too...

I can't think of too many rules that I care about that don't have exceptions that I find palatable. I am generally opposed to a team playing American football wearing a white helmet and white jersey with colored pants, but I love Nebraska's road uniforms (and when Miami wears orange pants on the road.)

No, they did that back in the day and it looked awful. Leave that crap in the history books.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

No, they did that back in the day and it looked awful. Leave that crap in the history books.

I am sure I am in the minority, but the all-maroon (red - depends on the lighting) Phillies uniform is one of my favorite baseball uniforms of all-time.

phillies.jpg

spacer.png

i'll give this a shot. . .

1. form follows function - the first rule in product design. its not all about aesthetic, you have to have something that the players will perform well in. but its not all about the pure function either, or every athlete would be in speed skating suits. you have to cross appropriateness, style, safety and performance. As far as a uniform template goes, i don't believe football has found the perfect one yet, but Nike's "mach speed" is getting close. NEVER alter the product (problem) to fit a graphic element (solution). We design for the product, not the other way around.

2. Consistency - this is mostly a football problem. ideally, your template and graphic elements should look the same on a 6'6, 340lb man as it does on a 5'8, 180lb teammate. don't forget it is a UNIFORM. There must also be a consistency and harmony between each piece of the uniform. Also includes consistency between the home and road versions. The reason the Seahawks uniform fails is because of a lack of harmony and consistency between the helmet, jersey, socks, and pants.

3. Design should be appropriate to brand and reflective of identity - the Oregon and Alabama brands are complete opposites, but their uniforms both communicate their values and personalities perfectly. They are both great uniforms. The uniform design should pair well with the elements in your identity. The Ravens detailed primary logo would not fit well into the minimal design of the Raiders or Colts jerseys.

4. Unique is good - If you can do the above 3 and have something unique about your uniform, you have a winner. It dosen't need to be unique across all levels of the sport (Iowa and the Steelers dont conflict) just within you own market/league. it might be a number font, or it might be another jersey element. It makes your uniform special and memorable. Think of the Colts' stripes or the helmet designs of the Eagles, Browns, and Rams. It certainly has to be different from your closest rivals.

5. Has to follow design principles - There are books on this point alone so i wont go too far into the explanation. good design has the same qualities whether it is a 3 page brochure, or a livery on an airplane. It dosent matter what your personal preferences are or what style you like working in. the finished product has to be well designed, and no detail overlooked.

6. - It should never be dated - when a uniform looks old or out of style, it is time to change. Materials, graphics, and colors must be relevant and interesting. A uniform built on classic elements of the sport's visual language (Packers, Browns, Colts, Giants) are timeless.

7 - Team > Everything - What binds us to our favorite teams is a tribe mentality. players come and go but the franchise remains. Nothing is more important than the idea of our team. When we become distracted by special promotions of cancer awareness and sponsorships (soccer kits are complete failures because of this) those things take away the sacredness and personal binds to the team itself. sports are big businesses that must earn money, but that must never look bigger than the team and the game in which they play.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived