• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2022 at 6:44 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

spacer.png

Goodbye old friend.

How is this associated with failure?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

I posted it when Microsoft announced IE would be discontinued

IE was hardly a failure.  The Ford Taurus was discontinued, but was by no measure a failure.  IE was by many measures the most used browser to date - the most used by the majority of financial institutions and regulated companies - hardly a failure.  If you're hunting for a Microsoft failure, Bing is lurking in plain sight.  Maybe Edge will end up - though just because it was late, not because it's bad.

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

IE was hardly a failure.  The Ford Taurus was discontinued, but was by no measure a failure.  IE was by many measures the most used browser to date - the most used by the majority of financial institutions and regulated companies - hardly a failure.  If you're hunting for a Microsoft failure, Bing is lurking in plain sight.  Maybe Edge will end up - though just because it was late, not because it's bad.

Edge is just Microsoft’s update to IE, so it’s not considered late just the newest model. And fills the same :censored: as IE. Most government websites only work on IE, I don’t know about if financial institutions and such if they use it but it would make sense if they carried it over to edge.

8 hours ago, dont care said:

Edge is just Microsoft’s update to IE, so it’s not considered late just the newest model. And fills the same :censored: as IE. Most government websites only work on IE, I don’t know about if financial institutions and such if they use it but it would make sense if they carried it over to edge.

When I say "late", I mean that many (if not most) financial / regulated companies blocked Chrome from employee desktops (with the exception of software developers and support people) because of it's frequent updates and difficulties in integrating it with various security policies.  I don't know the specifics, but those issues have now been resolved and most (if not all) companies have opened up Chrome to their employees (with tight controls) and it's the dominant browser.  Had Edge come out years before it did, it could have picked up where IE left off.  Instead, even though for all intents and purposes they're the same browser, given the choice, most people are going to choose Chrome because it's just what they're already used to using.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 6:11 PM, BBTV said:

When I say "late", I mean that many (if not most) financial / regulated companies blocked Chrome from employee desktops (with the exception of software developers and support people) because of it's frequent updates and difficulties in integrating it with various security policies.  I don't know the specifics, but those issues have now been resolved and most (if not all) companies have opened up Chrome to their employees (with tight controls) and it's the dominant browser.  Had Edge come out years before it did, it could have picked up where IE left off.  Instead, even though for all intents and purposes they're the same browser, given the choice, most people are going to choose Chrome because it's just what they're already used to using.

just to add: Microsoft has had two Edge browsers.

the original, now called Microsoft Edge Legacy launched in 2015 and is based on their own HTML5 engine.

It was their successor to the Internet Explorer. 

While not bad per se and an improvement over Internet Explorer, it started out kinda half finished and critically never gained enough developer support (extensions, website optimization etc.), thus never got the market share required to become competitive.

Since 2020 there is a "new" Microsoft Edge - which is based on Chromium and is essentially Google Chrome minus Google plus Microsoft services.

I know a lot of companies who had "cleared" Google Chrome for daily use, that have since switched to the new Edge and blocked Google Chrome again.

spacer.png

• Like 3