Fantasy soccer: Los Angeles Sol

-kj

I've just been re-accepted into the PLA, and am taking my previous team name: LA Sol. Yes, I know that was one of the WPS teams, but I had the name way before them. Here's the logo I made for the inaugural 2004 season:

sol.png

Yeah... I know.

In 2008, I redesigned:

sol-2008.gif

A couple of seasons later, I dropped out of the league. Now that I'm coming back, I want to redesign again. Here's the preliminary idea, with some color options:

sol2013a.png

sol2013b.png

Thoughts?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

It's a decent idea (certainly an improvement over the first two), but to me it looks more like a giant wrecking ball than a star. The way the spikes are largest on top and on the sides makes it look strange, you should try to make every other sun ray the same size. I like the third option of the colors, with black around the text.

Good start.

Also, what is PLA?

Giving this a nudge up to solicit some more ideas.

Also, what is PLA?

Premier League of America, a fantasy league here on the boards.

POTD 2013-08-22

• 2 weeks later...

Came back to this. MatFatCat made a very good point about the size of the rays, so I messed with that:

sol2013c.png

Also tried a couple of minor color options again:

sol2013c2.png

sol2013c3.png

POTD 2013-08-22

Came back to this. MatFatCat made a very good point about the size of the rays, so I messed with that:

sol2013c.png

Also tried a couple of minor color options again:

sol2013c2.png

sol2013c3.png

The bottom one, definitely. The colour black never says "sun" (unless you're a Soundgarden fan), so I think the less black in the concept, the better.

rATMcmK.png

Bumping this back up. I don't generally like when people complain about not getting comments, but... seriously, what is it I'm doing wrong? I've seen stuff made poorly get ten times as many comments in one day as I get on all of my concept threads.

POTD 2013-08-22

Bumping this back up. I don't generally like when people complain about not getting comments, but... seriously, what is it I'm doing wrong? I've seen stuff made poorly get ten times as many comments in one day as I get on all of my concept threads.

It's frustrating, isn't it? I've also been feeling short-changed in the feedback department lately. I'm guessing it's because since those other concepts are poorly done, people are more likely to jump in and try to point the guy in the right direction. Anyway, don't let it discourage you.

I would definately go with the bottom ones. A logo with a sun-theme should stick with a minimal amount of black, if it must have black at all. I also liked the history of the logo you showed at the beginning. Your first Sol logo looks like a bowl of spanish rice seen from above. XD

• 2 weeks later...

Great job it looks great & yeah unfortunately when you do work where nothing needs to be fixed or noticeably wrong you just don't get the comments.

Also I am not trying to be critical of any concepts but it if I see another Yakball anything I believe I will scream. lol.

However I believe the concepts section is really peaking in terms of quality after going through some tough times.

Guest darkpiranha

I agree with the comments about "less black the better", but as I look back over all the variations, the ones I like best are the ones where the secondary points of the sun are black. That just pops a whole lot more and I don't think it causes one to think "Oh my gosh, how can rays of the sun be black??? Fail." Any more than a black outline being incorrect because the sun clearly doesn't have a layer of black atmosphere around it.

Those kits look awesome. Also I have another theory about the feedback problem. It may have something to do with where the users are from. sportslogos.net is based in Canada, so it's a safe bet that the majority of us are from North America, where some sports, like soccer, don't get as much attention as football or hockey. Those hockey concepts seem to be especially popular, and I agree with HVF--This yakball crap is getting old.

Guest darkpiranha

I think the biggest problem is at this point in the concept game, there's not a lot left to be done in the standard leagues. You've got another minor tweak on the Anaheim Ducks uniform? Great. Put it on the stack with all the others. Every once in a while, you'll get someone trying something really out of the box, but half of those comments end up slamming the attempt as being "it looks like the XFL!" If it's in the box, it's been done, most likely.

And "in" or "out" of the box is a good metaphor for all of this. Each jersey or helmet is basically just a pre-determined shape we have all agreed to design inside of. I think we've plateau'd on most of the acceptable ways of designing in the traditional shapes. So while I have zero interest in Yakball or Ripball or Quiddich as sports, I find it refreshing that we have another shape we are designing inside of that sort of follows the same basic rules as football, hockey, etc.

The one thing I wish Yakball and the others would do is a better job of defining what the basic rules are for their uniforms. Yakball loses a lot of points with me because it's basically just taking the design rules from soccer and putting them in slightly different shapes. I wish it would come up with a completely unique system for determining colors, sleeves, home/away, nationality indicators, etc.

Great job it looks great & yeah unfortunately when you do work where nothing needs to be fixed or noticeably wrong you just don't get the comments.

Also I am not trying to be critical of any concepts but it if I see another Yakball anything I believe I will scream. lol.

However I believe the concepts section is really peaking in terms of quality after going through some tough times.

Those kits look awesome. Also I have another theory about the feedback problem. It may have something to do with where the users are from. sportslogos.net is based in Canada, so it's a safe bet that the majority of us are from North America, where some sports, like soccer, don't get as much attention as football or hockey. Those hockey concepts seem to be especially popular, and I agree with HVF--This yakball crap is getting old.

Is someone making you guys click on those threads? Seriously...if you don't like it, don't click on it.

sport-scarf_devils_zps117fda40.png

Is someone making you guys click on those threads? Seriously...if you don't like it, don't click on it.

Once again I was not trying to derail those guys in any way shape or form. I just got tired of seeing the newest Yakball Thread come up.

I really like all of the concepts that I have seen on there especially the initial one & Ripball is fantastic so I am not trying to down those at all.

Really mean no offense to anyone at all & if it was taken please accept my apologies.

Once again I was not trying to derail those guys in any way shape or form. I just got tired of seeing the newest Yakball Thread come up.

I really like all of the concepts that I have seen on there especially the initial one & Ripball is fantastic so I am not trying to down those at all.

Really mean no offense to anyone at all & if it was taken please accept my apologies.

I'm actually with you. Raysox's stuff is awesome and I really liked the college tournament, but for the most part I've ignored the other threads because it's too much. I just don't understand complaining about threads that aren't spamming.

sport-scarf_devils_zps117fda40.png

I'm actually with you. Raysox's stuff is awesome and I really liked the college tournament, but for the most part I've ignored the other threads because it's too much. I just don't understand complaining about threads that aren't spamming.

My complaint is all of those threads push down the really good ones so sometimes those don't get the comments that they were hoping for but again no big deal they have right to post them just like I have the right to wish some did not.

Like this alot...think the third kit is my favorite though, however I don't understand your fascination with Admiral though :)

But i do look forward to watching the Orange Julius vs. Pinkberry rivalry

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

Archived