WMU looking like a poor man's Boise State

Derek

The logos are similar to begin with, and I'm not sure who had it first, but this looks awful reversed out. It creates all kinds of strange negative space, and well, it's been done already. WMU has a unique color scheme to work with, and this is really disappointing to see.

wmu-helmet-2.jpg

Wait... are they going to wear these with their current (BLACK and gold) uniforms?

Worst thing is, these are just a palate swap (black to brown) away from being some of the best uniforms in the FBS. Instead, they're yet another mid-major from the Midwest who wants to wear black when it's not a school color.

EDIT: Yes, I know BFBS is far from a regional phenomenon, and maybe I've been noticing because these are mostly schools that my school competes against, but BFBS seems to be especially bad in the Midwest.

Other schools really need to stop with this crap. Boise State is the only school that can pull off a helmet like this. They did it first (at the college level) and they did it right.

No they aren't and no they didn't.

They can't pull it off and doing it right would've meant using the properly colored logo and using it on both sides. The fact that Western Michigan is following Boise in that regard and not correcting everything that is wrong with Boise's helmets is their real mistake.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Because of Boise State and Denver Broncos, I can't imagine a team named broncos not having blue and orange as their colors. WMU's brown and gold doesn't make me think of broncos.

brown and gold, the natural color of horses, doesn't make you think of horses?

wild-horses-running-free.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

Because of Boise State and Denver Broncos, I can't imagine a team named broncos not having blue and orange as their colors. WMU's brown and gold doesn't make me think of broncos.

brown and gold, the natural color of horses, doesn't make you think of horses?

wild-horses-running-free.jpg

I think he meant that he expects teams called the Broncos to wear blue and orange the way we all expect teams from Pittsburgh to wear black and gold.

Personally, I never thought there was anything wrong with WMU's identity aside from how they keep mucking it up with black. It's an appropriate mascot and color set for a school commonly known as "Western."

Other schools really need to stop with this crap. Boise State is the only school that can pull off a helmet like this. They did it first (at the college level) and they did it right.

No, they really can't, and no they didn't. The Steelers are the only team, on any level, that can make the "only one side of the helmet has a logo" look work. Objectively it looks pretty terrible on them too, but they've had it for decades, and there's an interesting story that goes along with it. Boise State only adopted the look recently and the only story that goes along with it is "Nike needed a gimmick they could stick BSU with, so one sided helmet decals it is."

So unless you're Steelers just put your logo on both sides of the damn helmet. Or leave the helmet blank. Either way it'll look better then this one sided logo nonsense.

Archived