NHL Expansion?

JayMac

If I had to choose I'd love to see Columbus move. Don't mind a team in Quebec, but Toronto doesn't need another team. I'm sure there are plenty of cities in the US that would support a team given the chance.

Why does Columbus always get mentioned as a team that should move? They have a really strong fan base. It does get really cold there in the Winter. Only thing wrong with Columbus is the idiots running the team.

If any two teams should relocate, they should be Phoenix and Florida.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't mean to keep feeding this thread, but I'm very surprised that Utah is never mentioned as a candidate for relocation/expansion. Seems like prime hockey country, and just the Jazz to compete with.

The Jazz play at the same time that a Utah NHL team would play. That's a rather important consideration.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If I had to choose I'd love to see Columbus move. Don't mind a team in Quebec, but Toronto doesn't need another team. I'm sure there are plenty of cities in the US that would support a team given the chance.

Why does Columbus always get mentioned as a team that should move? They have a really strong fan base. It does get really cold there in the Winter. Only thing wrong with Columbus is the idiots running the team.

If any two teams should relocate, they should be Phoenix and Florida.

I don't know, but vmd9 has brought this up before. He's just trolling. Dude can't be bothered to drive a couple hours to see a game I guess.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Indeed. There's a bunch of places where it wouldn't be sustainable to have an NHL/NBA team. Places that come to mind are OKC, SLC, Milwaukee, Memphis, San Antonio, Buffalo, Nashville, Tampa, etc.

I'm not saying that these are all places for NHL or NBA expansion/relocation. I'm saying that even if there were enough demand for the other winter league that these cities don't have, there wouldn't be enough money to go around in tickets, sponsorships, media rights, etc. in these smaller places. Sometimes being the only game in town is key.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Don't mean to keep feeding this thread, but I'm very surprised that Utah is never mentioned as a candidate for relocation/expansion. Seems like prime hockey country, and just the Jazz to compete with.

The Jazz play at the same time that a Utah NHL team would play. That's a rather important consideration.

True, and I guess odds are they'd play simultaneously about half the time.

Also- Columbus has the potential to be a great market, but as someone above mentioned, the ownership is horrid. I think NHL should shift some of their attention (that Phoenix has 90% of) to Columbus to prevent another disaster.

sig.png

I don't see why so many people have a problem with a second team in the Toronto area. Yeah, there is the Leafs' territory thing, but look at it this way. The Leafs would take the money I'm sure. And besides - Canada loves the NHL. Apparently 20 percent of all Canadians live in the Golden Horseshoe area (or whatever they're calling the center of the universe now), so why couldn't a team be viable in that area. Canada, lots of Canadians in the area, a new rink on the way. Ticks all the boxes.

Apparently 20 percent of all Canadians live in the Golden Horseshoe area (or whatever they're calling the center of the universe now), so why couldn't a team be viable in that area.

Because the Leafs might make the playoffs this year and fans won't need their contingency plan anymore.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't see why so many people have a problem with a second team in the Toronto area. Yeah, there is the Leafs' territory thing, but look at it this way. The Leafs would take the money I'm sure. And besides - Canada loves the NHL. Apparently 20 percent of all Canadians live in the Golden Horseshoe area (or whatever they're calling the center of the universe now), so why couldn't a team be viable in that area. Canada, lots of Canadians in the area, a new rink on the way. Ticks all the boxes.

On paper, having a second team in Toronto looks like a great idea. Thing is the Leafs' territory thing is pretty much the biggest obstacle. Yes, they make lots of money from generations of season ticket holders anyway, not to mention they'd get the majority of the expansion fees, but they don't want to share the market with another team. They like having the GTA to themselves, and they've been known historically for objecting to anything that might eat into their pie, even sharing CBC hockey revenues with Vancouver.

The Sabres don't want it to happen either because much of their fanbase consists of Canadians who have driven across the border because they can't get tickets for Leafs games. In theory, you could put a team in Hamilton and it could draw very well, but how much of an impact would it have on the Sabres?

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The Sabres don't want it to happen either because much of their fanbase consists of Canadians

It's not that much. Like 10%. I don't think people in Hamilton can even watch Sabres games on television.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Indeed. There's a bunch of places where it wouldn't be sustainable to have an NHL/NBA team. Places that come to mind are OKC, SLC, Milwaukee, Memphis, San Antonio, Buffalo, Nashville, Tampa, etc.

I'm not disagreeing with the factual accuracy of that statement, but as I've said numerous times before, all an NHL team in Milwaukee would have to do is be moderately successful... think, Nashville Predator-ish... to draw more fans than the Bucks and force them out of town. The Bucks have lost their place in the community pretty much ever since they traded Ray Allen (to where Marquette's basketball team is outdrawing them on a semi-regular basis nowadays) and most people I've talked to see the Bucks as little more than an annoying house guest whose worn out their welcome and refuses to leave.

The NHL would be a refreshing change of pace for MIlwaukee and there's already a passionate fanbase for hockey here... I mean, where else could you get 6,000 people to consistently turn out to see prospects of the friggin' Nashville Predators? :D

Yeah NHL, that is te opposite of what you should do! I watched the Lightning-Panthers game last night with a friend from Miami, and she was saying how Miami shouldn't have a team, and she lives 15 minutes away from the BB&T Center. She also said something about how low the Panthers TV ratings are.

Contract/Move Phoenix and Florida to any of the open markets

Also, Nashville filled 97.5% of their arena on average last year. It's a good market, people just don't like the south.

Albuquerque would be a better market for an NBA team NHL team. Didn't Albuquerque have an old ABA team? Salt Lake City might have a better shot at an NHL expansion team. SLC Spires? Utah Saints? How on earth does Columbus have the Blue Jackets and Carolina have the Hurricanes?

When Dave Checketts owned the St. Louis Blues I secretly wanted him to move them to Salt Lake City and become the Utah Blues, so we could have the Jazz & Blues. I mean, how awesome would that be?

But, seriously, I think the Utah or Salt Lake Eagles would be a great name and nod to the Golden Eagles.

Also, EnergySolutions Arena isn't the best arena for hockey. Kind of on the same lines as the Coyotes time in America West Arena and the future of the Islanders in Brooklyn. Not to mention the Maverik Center where the Grizzlies play is too small ... about 10-12,000ish ... if that.

In order for a team, I think we'd have to see a new arena or major renovation of the Maverik Center.

But, I'd love an NHL team here in SLC!

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I'm not disagreeing with the factual accuracy of that statement, but as I've said numerous times before, all an NHL team in Milwaukee would have to do is be moderately successful... think, Nashville Predator-ish... to draw more fans than the Bucks and force them out of town. The Bucks have lost their place in the community pretty much ever since they traded Ray Allen (to where Marquette's basketball team is outdrawing them on a semi-regular basis nowadays) and most people I've talked to see the Bucks as little more than an annoying house guest whose worn out their welcome and refuses to leave.

The NHL would be a refreshing change of pace for MIlwaukee and there's already a passionate fanbase for hockey here... I mean, where else could you get 6,000 people to consistently turn out to see prospects of the friggin' Nashville Predators? :D

What about Madison, WI and the Kohl Center for a NHL team? Wisconsin hockey is huge and could draw quite well.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Archived