Bizarre/Unusual Numbers on Jerseys

kloo

What about pitchers with single digit numbers? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Saw one at a college game last weekend and thought it was odd.

Adam+Ottavino+New+York+Yankees+v+Colorado+Cf-pgiZxK8Dx.jpg[

im surprised more players dont use #0 in baseball. not just a pitcher, but all players

it's a trend in the NBA. i wonder when it'll come to MLB

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mitch Williams of the Phillies wore #28 for the first seven years of his career, until he acquired the nickname "Wild Thing", based on Charlie Sheen's character from the movie "Major League". Williams then switched to #99, the number worn by Sheen in the film.

94BoXuV6.gif

charliesheendiamond-imagesgetty-images.jpg

CK3ZP8E.jpg

What about pitchers with single digit numbers? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Saw one at a college game last weekend and thought it was odd.

Adam+Ottavino+New+York+Yankees+v+Colorado+Cf-pgiZxK8Dx.jpg[

im surprised more players dont use #0 in baseball. not just a pitcher, but all players

it's a trend in the NBA. i wonder when it'll come to MLB

I wonder if he is the first to wear 0 in the majors. Also, I agree it hasn't caught on. A lot of kids wear either 0 or 00.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

In 1960, during Spring Training, the Dodgers had their minor leaguers in camp wearing letters on the front instead of numbers, the letters designating which team they would likely be assigned to:

423399555_a34da5f36d_o.jpg

5751385723_12e89b8400.jpg

5768877187_77378b90ed_o.jpg

A = Montreal Royals (International League [AAA])

B = Spokane Indians (Pacific Coast League [AAA])

C = St. Paul Saints (American Association [AAA])

E = Atlanta Crackers (Southern Association [AA])

H = Macon Dodgers (South Atlantic League A])

N = Green Bay Dodgers (Illinois-Iowa-Indiana "Three-I" League )

S = Great Falls Electrics (Pioneer League [C])

T = Reno Silver Sox (California League [C])

W = Kokomo Dodgers (Midwest League [C]), Panama City Fliers (Alabama-Florida League [D]), Orlando Dodgers (Florida State League [D]), Odessa Dodgers (Sophomore League [D])

CK3ZP8E.jpg

0406jays.jpg

Pitchers almost are never seen in single digits.

Here's a listing going back 50 years:

http://reconditebaseball.blogspot.com/2008/10/if-his-arm-works-who-cares-what-he.html

Here are the pitchers (excluding position players throwing mop-up innings) since 1961 to wear numbers lower than ten:

• #1 Jack Jenkins - 1962 Senators
  • #8 Bob Baird - 1963 Senators
  • #4 George Brunet - 1970 Pirates
  • #6 Chuck Taylor - 1972 Brewers
  • #7 Horacio Pina - 1973 Athletics
  • #7 Atlee Hammaker - 1985 Giants
  • #1 Matt Young - 1990 Mariners
  • #00 Omar Olivares - 1993 Cardinals and 1995 Phillies
  • #7 Jeff Juden - 1997 Indians
  • #00 Curtis Leskanic - 2000-2002 Brewers
  • #2 Wayne Gomes - 2001 Giants
  • #6 Rob Bell - 2001-2002 Rangers
  • #00 Rick White - 2004 Indians, 2005 Pirates, 2006 Reds, and 2006 Phillies
  • #3 David Wells - 2005 Red Sox
  • #7 Josh Towers - 2003-2007 Blue Jays

I'm weirded out by pitchers in numbers 10-19 too, for some reason. To me it's weird like skaters in hockey wearing goalie numbers, typically 30, 31 and 35.

Also no one mentioned Sidney Crosby. Born August 7, 1987, or 8/7/87 Americanized, and he wears 87. He was only the second player to wear it too, as Donald Brashear played his whole career with it. One other player wore it, in Crosby's rookie and sophomore seasons, Pierre Turgeon, because his usual 77 was retired by his team, Colorado (Ray Bourque).

Back in the Australian Football League in 2008, Geelong player Harry Taylor wore #7. In a match against Melbourne, he bled onto his jumper, which had to be replaced as per the AFL rules. He put on a replacement #7, and then that jumper received some blood, and had to be replaced. There were no spare #7 jumpers left, so Taylor returned to the field in #85. This is the highest number worn by a player in the history of the VFL/AFL.

I'm weirded out by pitchers in numbers 10-19 too, for some reason. To me it's weird like skaters in hockey wearing goalie numbers, typically 30, 31 and 35.

45_plekaneccanadienscom.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

45_plekaneccanadienscom.jpg

Yep, like that. There haven't been too many. Two dozen or so, if that. Still waiting to see a non-goalie wearing 1.

Archived