Bizarre/Unusual Numbers on Jerseys

kloo

Another strange number. Since his return from injury this year, Marcus Stroman of the Blue Jays has been wearing number 6, so add him to the list of Jays pitchers in the past few years with single digits (Towers-7, Drabek-4).

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another strange number. Since his return from injury this year, Marcus Stroman of the Blue Jays has been wearing number 6, so add him to the list of Jays pitchers in the past few years with single digits (Towers-7, Drabek-4).

Depending on which pop culture reference you want to believe, Toronto has been given itself a trendy nickname "The 6" because of the two area codes that have "6" in it. Or the 6 boroughs loosely formed into the city Toronto. Whatever it is, "The 6" has gained prominence in the last couple due to Drake popularizing/reviving the nickname in his songs and an album name, and Stroman is just hopping on that Drake bandwagon with his number change since last year (which I think was 54).

Depending on which pop culture reference you want to believe, Toronto has been given itself a trendy nickname "The 6" because of the two area codes that have "6" in it. Or the 6 boroughs loosely formed into the city Toronto. Whatever it is, "The 6" has gained prominence in the last couple due to Drake popularizing/reviving the nickname in his songs and an album name, and Stroman is just hopping on that Drake bandwagon with his number change since last year (which I think was 54).

At least it's better than "We the North" (which doesn't seem to make any grammatical sense).

I believe it was Neil Sheehy (now an NHL agent) that "broke" the stats system by wearing #0 for Hartford:

Martin Biron for the Sabres, if I remember correctly. Compuware wasn't around to ruin the NHL with bad code and worse Whalers ownership until the mid-'90s.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...

I heard the other day that he changed it because his grandmother died on March 6th this year.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Canucks goalie Jacob Markstrom is wearing 25. I don't like it.

I actually think it fits, and looks good on him.

He wore that number in Florida, too. Also for Sweden. It really does look weird when goalies go with anything but the traditional numbers. But it's not as bad as when other players stick to their pre-season numbers like 67 or 68 once they make the team.

I just realized Henrik Sedin wearing 33 is pretty unusual for a forward because he was drafted 3rd overall. Bo Horvat wears 53 to honour Ian Jenkins who would have worn 35 for the London Knights if he hadn't died in an accident.

This thread is still going on; so I don't feel bad about replying to a post from a couple of years ago.

This isn't totally bizarre [per se], but Juwan Howard wore #5 with the Wizards and 10 years later so did Josh Howard. Which allowed my Juwan Howard jersey to become a Josh Howard jersey for one season.

Same last name, same number, same team, same uniforms... that's at least a little bizarre/unique, i think

Both Jack Clark and Will Clark wore no. 22 with the Giants. But they wore different style unis; so no Jack Clark jersey could double as a Will Clark jersey.

I am replying to my own post in order to make a correction. I wrote that Jack Clark and Will Clark wore different uni styles. I had forgotten that Jack Clark was with the Giants through 1984, so he did wear the style that Will Clark also wore.

clark-clark_zpsn4ko2lgw.png

While that is an unusual coincidence, there is nothing strange about the number. So here is one that is in keeping with the intended theme of the thread.

In 1951, Bill Veeck signed Eddie Gaedel, a little person who stood only 3-foot-7, to pinch hit for the St. Louis Browns. Gaedel wore no. 1/8.

eddie-gaedel.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• 1 month later...

16 Year Old GK Donnarumma

tumblr_nwsqqmPdZm1r5dmlbo1_540.png

There's been a bit of a fashion in Serie A in recent years for players to wear their birth year as their squad number - so 1999 born Donnarumma plumps for 99. See also Antonio Candreva (87), Ronaldinho (80), Stephan El Shaarawy (92), Andrea Bertolacci (91) and Felipe Melo (83) to name but a few.

There's also another Serie A goalkeeper currently wearing an odd number - Sampdoria's Emiliano Viviano sports his club's number 2 shirt, traditionally a right back's digit and one that you normally wouldn't see a goalkeeper anywhere near...

viviano3_zpsjmempjks.jpg

Reprehensible behaviour as I'm sure you'll agree, but in mitigation he has the rather cool habit of wearing an outfield player's shirt (in a contrasting colour to those worn by the other players, of course) so I'm prepared to grudgingly allow him this numerical quirk.

I don't think it's outlawed in the NFL.. Just not done

Zero isn't an allowed number in the NFL.

Under current rules in all three of the most prominent levels of American football (high school football, college football and professional football), all players must wear a number between 1 and 99, and no two players may wear the same number on the field at the same time; in the past, players have used the numbers 0, 00 and in two special cases 100. (0 and 00 are still allowed and used in Canadian football.) Those who wear numbers between 50 and 79 are, by rule, prohibited from catching or touching forward passes if their team is in possession of the ball, unless explicitly indicated to the referee during a Tackle-eligible play. Other than this, player numbers' correspondence to their positions is largely an issue of semantics.

So the NFL used to allow the numbers, but not anymore.

I was referring very specifically to the numbers 01-09, as mentioned in the post before mine.. Which is not outlawed in the NFL, just never used

There's been a bit of a fashion in Serie A in recent years for players to wear their birth year as their squad number - so 1999 born Donnarumma plumps for 99. See also Antonio Candreva (87), Ronaldinho (80), Stephan El Shaarawy (92), Andrea Bertolacci (91) and Felipe Melo (83) to name but a few.

There's also another Serie A goalkeeper currently wearing an odd number - Sampdoria's Emiliano Viviano sports his club's number 2 shirt, traditionally a right back's digit and one that you normally wouldn't see a goalkeeper anywhere near...

viviano3_zpsjmempjks.jpg

Reprehensible behaviour as I'm sure you'll agree, but in mitigation he has the rather cool habit of wearing an outfield player's shirt (in a contrasting colour to those worn by the other players, of course) so I'm prepared to grudgingly allow him this numerical quirk.

Considered one the best Polish goalkeepers ever, Jan Tomaszewski, also played with #2 during 1974 World Cup (during which he saved 2 penalties). The error was on the side Polish FA, which sent the list of players with order numbers (as was the custom in Polish administration). FIFA officials didn't notice that there was an additional column for shirt numbers and therefore the goalkeepers got numbers 1-3, defenders 4-10, midfielders 11-14 and forwards 15-22.

635399729901255718.jpg

I'm okay with those birth year numbers when the ones who use them are youth team players which are just getting called up to the first team, it makes sense that their preferred number would not be available or anything close to it. However estabilished players using nummbers that high is ridiculous. However I make an exception for 99, which has been used, at least in Serie A, by forwards, notably Cassano, Lucarelli and Ronaldo when he was at AC Milan

Viviano actually uses that number because 1 was taken, he's old-fashioned and doesn't like high numbers, but since he had a good season with the 2 he's keeping it

Back to bizarre numbers, probably been posted

Ivan+Zamorano.jpg

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived