Bizarre/Unusual Numbers on Jerseys

kloo

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tazjersey_zps978608e3.jpg

/thread

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Is it just me or are NBA players wearing more single digit numbers then before. 15-20 years ago major numbers were 23, 32, 33, 42, while now many many more single digit numbers are worn. I even spotted few times all 5 players on the court wore single digit numbers (Knicks, Celtics, Clippers, Suns...)

This isn't totally bizarre persay, but Juwan Howard wore #5 with the Wizards and 10 years later so did Josh Howard. Which allowed my Juwan Howard jersey to become a Josh Howard jersey for one season.

Same last name, same number, same team, same uniforms... that's at least a little bizarre/unique, i think

2001-01-23-howard_display_image.jpg?1297814144Dwyane+Wade+Josh+Howard+Washington+Wizards+lOmWHYGZyBAl.jpg

90758391980.gif

00 really isn't all that uncommon of a number in baseball or basketball. In fact it's practically ubiquitous at the high school and college levels of basketball due to schools being discouraged (or even forbidden, the the case of the NCAA) from issuing any jerseys that feature an individual number higher than 5 (i.e. 10 or 53 is allowed, but not 17 or 46).

I don't really follow NCCA basketball, but am surprised that I had no idea that this was a rule!

On the "+", is that actually a team sanctioned letter on their jersey? Surely the stats sheet, etc. still lists them as 18 and 19, respectively?

And another "Colt 45":

colt-king-rapid-city-rush.jpg

This is a bit of a tangent (to "amusingly appropriate numbers), but how about Jordin Tootoo wearing 22

Or Joseph Forte wearing number Forty

This is why I was disappointed that former DC United midfielder Santino Quaranta never wore no. 40, as "quaranta" means "forty" in Italian.

On a related note, it would have been cool if former Liverpool goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek had worn no. 20, as "dudek" means "twenty" in Esperanto; but I didn't really expect that (even if both Dudek and the founder of Esperanto, L.L. Zamenhof, were from Poland).

Has any team ever SIMULTANEOUSLY had a '0' and '00'? The Celtics have had numerous '0's since Parish's number was retired (Walter McCarty, Leon Powe, currently Avery Bradley)

The 1985 Toronto Blue Jays had numbers 0 and 00 at the same time. Al Oliver wore no. 0; Cliff Johnson wore no. 00.

This isn't totally bizarre [per se], but Juwan Howard wore #5 with the Wizards and 10 years later so did Josh Howard. Which allowed my Juwan Howard jersey to become a Josh Howard jersey for one season.

Same last name, same number, same team, same uniforms... that's at least a little bizarre/unique, i think

Both Cliff Johnson and Randy Johnson wore no. 41 with the Yankees. (I hereby become the first person ever to achieve two Cliff Johnson mentions in a single post.)

Both Jack Clark and Will Clark wore no. 22 with the Giants. But they wore different style unis; so no Jack Clark jersey could double as a Will Clark jersey.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

00 really isn't all that uncommon of a number in baseball or basketball. In fact it's practically ubiquitous at the high school and college levels of basketball due to schools being discouraged (or even forbidden, the the case of the NCAA) from issuing any jerseys that feature an individual number higher than 5 (i.e. 10 or 53 is allowed, but not 17 or 46).

I don't really follow NCCA basketball, but am surprised that I had no idea that this was a rule!

Yea, it's to make things easier on the officials since it allows them to use their hands to indicate a players' number. That's why a lot of high school associations adopted it as well.

There was a little trend at AC Milan of players wearing their birth years. Ronaldinho, Andriy Shevchenko, and Mathieu Flamini started this when they took nos. 80, 76, and 84, respectively, in 2008. Their current star striker Stephan El Shaarawy has continued this by taking no. 92; and newly-acquired defender Christian Zaccardo has followed his lead by taking no. 81.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

NHL Goalie numbers

317626_display_image.jpg?1302198511

Darren Puppa

dm_130131_nhl_penguins_rangers_highlight.jpg

Tomas Vokoun

56485060.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD8671DDFE1CAB6E7A102B6C08DA9E9F091742C9BED056B3C3

Nikolai Khabibulin

hextall.jpg

Ron Hextall

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Why ?

Seems like a pretty stupid rule

After playing many seasons in my city in the Colonial Hockey League, Mel Angelstad worked his way up to 2 games in the NHL.

1st time an NHL player used #69 in a regular season game.

040404angelstad.jpg

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Archived