Bizarre/Unusual Numbers on Jerseys

kloo

On the topic of first-worn NHL numbers, Guillaume Latendresse was the first to wear 84, for the Canadiens; it was the last legal number that hadn't yet been worn in the NHL.

GuillaumeLatendresse.jpg

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't totally bizarre persay, but Juwan Howard wore #5 with the Wizards and 10 years later so did Josh Howard. Which allowed my Juwan Howard jersey to become a Josh Howard jersey for one season.

Same last name, same number, same team, same uniforms... that's at least a little bizarre/unique, i think

That's happened for me, but with the Cowboys. Back in 2003 I got a #88 Antonio Bryant jersey because it was the cheapest white jersey I could get. After he left, I stopped wearing that jersey but now I get to wear it again because of #88 Dez Bryant.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Joe Sakic wore 88

... as well as Owen Nolan

lol when the drafted Lindros did they have a bunch if those made? Seems like such an number to give a rookie

Well, it was 1988.

Nolan was drafted in '90 and Lindros in '91.

I was talking about why Sakic might be wearing 88.

Joe Sakic wore 88

... as well as Owen Nolan

lol when the drafted Lindros did they have a bunch if those made? Seems like such an number to give a rookie

Well, it was 1988.

Nolan was drafted in '90 and Lindros in '91.

I was talking about why Sakic might be wearing 88.

Sakic was drafted in '87 :D

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I have to say that players, especially goalies (hockey), wearing non-traditional numbers drives me crazy. Most of the younger players are choosing "training camp" jersey numbers these days. Small gripe, I know, but I think it looks stupid to see goalies outside of numbers 1 and 30-39.

Dude...where's Sammy Baugh and Otto Graham? :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I have to say that players, especially goalies (hockey), wearing non-traditional numbers drives me crazy. Most of the younger players are choosing "training camp" jersey numbers these days. Small gripe, I know, but I think it looks stupid to see goalies outside of numbers 1 and 30-39.

Some players are going birth years..

Maybe its team rules ? I know the Sharks players have to earn the right to choose their number but sometimes they stick with the jersey number assigned to them. When Logan Couture earned the right to change numbers he stuck with 39 because he would be able to wear it during allstar games / international

I forgot about this one. Tsuyoshi Shinjo, who was a Japanese outfielder (he also played for the Mets and Giants briefly), came out of retirement to pitch in a game in 2008. This was his "number"

shinjofinal_8y0miggk_b1675ie0.jpg

In 1964 the University of Maryland had a placekicker named Bernardo Bramson whose uniform number changed in real time to match the number of points he scored. Head Coach Tom Nugent called Bramson the “human scoreboard.” He started the season wearing 0 but whenever he scored on a field goal or extra point, the team equipment manager would change his jersey number with tape. Against South Carolina Bramson started the game with No. 3, changed to Nos. 4 and 5 after extra points, switched to No. 8 after a field goal, and finished with No. 9.

Nugent originally wanted Bramson to have a question mark instead of a number but was told by the Atlantic Coast Conference that all players must have a number. The ACC green-lighted the tape idea, but the idea was nixed because NCAA rules specified numbers for players.

q8ckqmp.jpg

FsQiF2W.png

I forgot about this one. Tsuyoshi Shinjo, who was a Japanese outfielder (he also played for the Mets and Giants briefly), came out of retirement to pitch in a game in 2008. This was his "number"

shinjofinal_8y0miggk_b1675ie0.jpg

I've met this guy and he is a class act. He is super friendly to talk too and is hilarious. He actually speaks pretty good English.

mcbqza.jpg

Numbers not unusual but used unusally: When he signed with the Rockets as a free agent in the late 70s, Rick Barry couldn't wear his usual 24 because Moses Malone already had it, so he wore "2" and "4," one of the numbers exclusively at home and the other on the road.

Archived