Bizarre/Unusual Numbers on Jerseys

kloo

This isn't totally bizarre persay, but Juwan Howard wore #5 with the Wizards and 10 years later so did Josh Howard. Which allowed my Juwan Howard jersey to become a Josh Howard jersey for one season.

Same last name, same number, same team, same uniforms... that's at least a little bizarre/unique, i think

That's happened for me, but with the Cowboys. Back in 2003 I got a #88 Antonio Bryant jersey because it was the cheapest white jersey I could get. After he left, I stopped wearing that jersey but now I get to wear it again because of #88 Dez Bryant.

I'm so confused as to what team(s) you root for. Do you root for the entire NFC East?

90758391980.gif

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't totally bizarre persay, but Juwan Howard wore #5 with the Wizards and 10 years later so did Josh Howard. Which allowed my Juwan Howard jersey to become a Josh Howard jersey for one season.

Same last name, same number, same team, same uniforms... that's at least a little bizarre/unique, i think

That's happened for me, but with the Cowboys. Back in 2003 I got a #88 Antonio Bryant jersey because it was the cheapest white jersey I could get. After he left, I stopped wearing that jersey but now I get to wear it again because of #88 Dez Bryant.

I'm so confused as to what team(s) you root for. Do you root for the entire NFC East?

He's a Cowboys fan. He just lost a sig bet.

golsonteo.jpg

Seems unusual to me to have two different feature players wearing the same number...

Happens all the time. I think USC had Barkley and a starter on defense both wearing 7 this year, might have both even been captains.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

0406jays.jpg

Pitchers almost are never seen in single digits.

Here's a listing going back 50 years:

http://reconditebaseball.blogspot.com/2008/10/if-his-arm-works-who-cares-what-he.html

Here are the pitchers (excluding position players throwing mop-up innings) since 1961 to wear numbers lower than ten:

• #1 Jack Jenkins - 1962 Senators
  • #8 Bob Baird - 1963 Senators
  • #4 George Brunet - 1970 Pirates
  • #6 Chuck Taylor - 1972 Brewers
  • #7 Horacio Pina - 1973 Athletics
  • #7 Atlee Hammaker - 1985 Giants
  • #1 Matt Young - 1990 Mariners
  • #00 Omar Olivares - 1993 Cardinals and 1995 Phillies
  • #7 Jeff Juden - 1997 Indians
  • #00 Curtis Leskanic - 2000-2002 Brewers
  • #2 Wayne Gomes - 2001 Giants
  • #6 Rob Bell - 2001-2002 Rangers
  • #00 Rick White - 2004 Indians, 2005 Pirates, 2006 Reds, and 2006 Phillies
  • #3 David Wells - 2005 Red Sox
  • #7 Josh Towers - 2003-2007 Blue Jays

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

golsonteo.jpg

Seems unusual to me to have two different feature players wearing the same number...

This is very common in college football.

In 2008 and 2009 both Earl Thomas and Colt McCoy wore #12 for Texas, both were All-Americans. Several other examples like that, as well. It's the result of having 60+ players, combined with retired numbers and rules limiting numbering options per position.

In 2008 and 2009 both Earl Thomas and Colt McCoy wore #12 for Texas, both were All-Americans. Several other examples like that, as well. It's the result of having 60+ players, combined with retired numbers and rules limiting numbering options per position.

If you have to start duplicating numbers, you're doing something wrong.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

US Qualifying for the WC starts today, Clint Dempsey always wears a "8" or a "10" normal for position but at Tottenham he wears....DEMPSEY1GETTY_2428339b.jpg

Well he is Deuce after all.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Even if you have over 100 people dressing for home games?

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Duplicate numbers now remind me of this:

ndsamejerseys.jpg

When Pitt missed the potential GW-FG against Notre Dame this year, the Irish had two #2s on the field. They should have been penalized but the officials missed it. Not that I'm bitter or anything. :P

Because football teams need over one hundred players...

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

0406jays.jpg

Pitchers almost are never seen in single digits.

Here's a listing going back 50 years:

http://reconditebase...es-what-he.html

Here are the pitchers (excluding position players throwing mop-up innings) since 1961 to wear numbers lower than ten:

• #1 Jack Jenkins - 1962 Senators
  • #8 Bob Baird - 1963 Senators
  • #4 George Brunet - 1970 Pirates
  • #6 Chuck Taylor - 1972 Brewers
  • #7 Horacio Pina - 1973 Athletics
  • #7 Atlee Hammaker - 1985 Giants
  • #1 Matt Young - 1990 Mariners
  • #00 Omar Olivares - 1993 Cardinals and 1995 Phillies
  • #7 Jeff Juden - 1997 Indians
  • #00 Curtis Leskanic - 2000-2002 Brewers
  • #2 Wayne Gomes - 2001 Giants
  • #6 Rob Bell - 2001-2002 Rangers
  • #00 Rick White - 2004 Indians, 2005 Pirates, 2006 Reds, and 2006 Phillies
  • #3 David Wells - 2005 Red Sox
  • #7 Josh Towers - 2003-2007 Blue Jays

You're missing #4 Kyle Drabek - 2011-Present Blue Jays

x610.jpg

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Duplicate numbers now remind me of this:

ndsamejerseys.jpg

When Pitt missed the potential GW-FG against Notre Dame this year, the Irish had two #2s on the field. They should have been penalized but the officials missed it. Not that I'm bitter or anything. :P

Manti Teʻo's girlfriend is offside!

Numbers are not restricted, except for offensive linemen.

The real question is - which is worse, duplicating numbers or using 3 digit numbers?

00 really isn't all that uncommon of a number in baseball or basketball. In fact it's practically ubiquitous at the high school and college levels of basketball due to schools being discouraged (or even forbidden, the the case of the NCAA) from issuing any jerseys that feature an individual number higher than 5 (i.e. 10 or 53 is allowed, but not 17 or 46).

Why ?

Seems like a pretty stupid rule

Why was explained earlier in the thread.

It even used to be a rule that one team had to wear even numbers and other odds (I've seen some teams at small high schools in Missouri still doing this). It was so the scorekeeper would know immediately which team the foul was on (Odds, visitor; evens, home). So a player would wear 10 at home and 11 on the road.

And single digits 1 and 2 were illegal in college and high school until about 10 years ago. That was because "1" and "2" were reserved so the official could indicate how many shots the player got after being fouled. They eliminated that when the 3-point shot came along (instead of banning uniform No. 3).

Archived