Bizarre/Unusual Numbers on Jerseys

kloo

Dude...where's Sammy Baugh and Otto Graham? :P

They played before the numbers were standardized (in the NFL, anyway). Graham had to switch from No. 60 to No. 14 because his old number was assigned to him based on the AAFC's numbering system and that along with all the other Browns, 49ers and Colts were grandfathered in when the teams joined the NFL. The NFL had its own system and the clash of systems was causing confusion for the officials because 60s were ineligible players on one team but eligible on the other. I've seen pics of Frankie Albert wearing No. 64 for the 49ers. He ended up wearing 14 as well after the change.

A college player can wear whatever number he likes as long as it corresponds to him being eligible or ineligible to catch a pass (every defensive player is assumed eligible, so they can wear any number they want to). So you're more likely to see a college QB wear No. 21 or 22 but it doesn't happen because they usually get assigned single digits or teens at lower levels. That's why when Maryland had to go with a linebacker at QB and a tight end as his backup earlier this season due to a crapload of injuries, they didn't have to change their numbers (31 and 87, respectively).

Hadl was grandfathered in as No. 21 when the NFL further revised the system in the 70s. I think Charlie Joiner (No. 18) was the last active player who wore a number that was grandfathered in (WRs wearing teens now is a revision of the current rules).

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude...where's Sammy Baugh and Otto Graham? :P

They played before the numbers were standardized (in the NFL, anyway). Graham had to switch from No. 60 to No. 14 because his old number was assigned to him based on the AAFC's numbering system and that along with all the other Browns, 49ers and Colts were grandfathered in when the teams joined the NFL. The NFL had its own system and the clash of systems was causing confusion for the officials because 60s were ineligible players on one team but eligible on the other. I've seen pics of Frankie Albert wearing No. 64 for the 49ers. He ended up wearing 14 as well after the change.

He knows... he was just giving me some (good natured) shyt, hence the :P

Hadl was grandfathered in as No. 21 when the NFL further revised the system in the 70s. I think Charlie Joiner (No. 18) was the last active player who wore a number that was grandfathered in (WRs wearing teens now is a revision of the current rules).

Might've been Harold Carmichael... unless you count Keyshawn Johnson (and really... why would you? :P )

shawnbradley%20(4).jpg

Shawn Bradley wore #76 on the 76ers

Bruce+Miller+San+Francisco+49ers+v+St+Louis+6Ktr00GTd0hl.jpg

Bruce Miller in #49 on the 49ers

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

shawnbradley%20(4).jpg

Shawn Bradley wore #76 on the 76ers

He was also 7'6" tall.

Just came across this on Wikipedia. It was intentional.

Given the novelty of a 7-foot-6 center playing for the 76ers, Bradley was issued jersey number 76.
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I'm proud of everybody on these boards ...you went the entire topic thus far without mentioning the human number #85...yes, you guessed it: Chad OchoCinco (which is just wrong to begin with)..... :oops:

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Bizarre numbers FSU Edition:

former walk-on QB Ridge Read (he wore 22 this past season):

1311262196832.jpg

I could go on posting pictures just from recent history but I'll just list them.

There's also another walk-on QB wearing 23, Jared Armstrong. On the D-line FSU has had 4 (Brandon Jenkins), 8 (Timmy Jernigan), 15 (Mario Edwards Jr.), 21 (Chris Casher), 81 (Eddie Goldman) recently. Only one of those, Jenkins, won't be on the team this season.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

• 4 weeks later...

I composed a picture of all unique NBA numbers worn after I was born

96786397.png

and to complete the list:

#89 Clyde Lovellette (Minneapolis Lakers, first season)

#65 George Ratkovicz (Syracure Nationals)

#67 Moe Becker (Detroit Falcons)

#68 Milt Schoon (Detroit Falcons)

I'm proud of everybody on these boards ...you went the entire topic thus far without mentioning the human number #85...yes, you guessed it: Chad OchoCinco (which is just wrong to begin with)..... :oops:

Because 85 isn't an unusual number for a wide receiver.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I have to say that players, especially goalies (hockey), wearing non-traditional numbers drives me crazy. Most of the younger players are choosing "training camp" jersey numbers these days. Small gripe, I know, but I think it looks stupid to see goalies outside of numbers 1 and 30-39.

Some players are going birth years..

Maybe its team rules ? I know the Sharks players have to earn the right to choose their number but sometimes they stick with the jersey number assigned to them. When Logan Couture earned the right to change numbers he stuck with 39 because he would be able to wear it during allstar games / international

Many of those high number goalies like 72 or 92, were guys who wanted 27 or 29, but the other goalie already had it...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

I have to say that players, especially goalies (hockey), wearing non-traditional numbers drives me crazy. Most of the younger players are choosing "training camp" jersey numbers these days. Small gripe, I know, but I think it looks stupid to see goalies outside of numbers 1 and 30-39.

Some players are going birth years..

Maybe its team rules ? I know the Sharks players have to earn the right to choose their number but sometimes they stick with the jersey number assigned to them. When Logan Couture earned the right to change numbers he stuck with 39 because he would be able to wear it during allstar games / international

Many of those high number goalies like 72 or 92, were guys who wanted 27 or 29, but the other goalie already had it...

Why does Bobrovsky wear 72? I've found no reference anywhere.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Archived