Vintage College Mascot Logos

hettinger_rl

Use the img and /img tags (in brackets) or look for the picture icon in your toolbar.

What was the reason given for UWM changing to the Panthers? I understand dropping red and white, but what was wrong with the name?

I actually did some digging in the archives at the campus library today... apparently the "official" reason given by the student council was that the cardinal wasn't a dynamic enough mascot for what the campus was aspiring towards. Really though, I think it was just that they wanted different colors and it didn't make sense to keep the cardinal if they were going to use anything but red.

FWIW, the other color choices (besides black & gold) were blue & white, and green & white; and the other mascot choices (besides Panthers) were Hawks, Beavers, and Clippers. In hindsight, Clippers was the only one that could've potentially made for a decent identity. Instead, we ended up with a generic byproduct of committee thinking that's still not befitting of the university's aspirations.

Anyway, this was all research that I'm working on for a blog about UWM's branding problems... I'll shoot you a link when I'm done if you care to read it.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Five more for this morning:

Bradley Braves:

BRADLEY.jpg

Drake Bulldogs:

DRAKE.jpg

Austin Peay Governors:

PEAY.jpg

Murray State Racers:

MURRAYSTATE.jpg

Long Island University Blackbirds (like this one; the mortarboard is a neat touch):

LIU.jpg

It is what it is.

I would love to read it.

Without asking for spoilers, is this related in any way to the "Wisconsin State" thing?

Not quite... my blog(s) are going to deal mainly with the athletic brand, though I may say a few words about why I feel the university should brand itself as the U. of Milwaukee while remaining the U. of Wisconsin-Milwaukee on paper ala the University at Buffalo (State University of New York at Buffalo) and Virginia Tech (Virginia Polytechnic Institution and State University).

These are really great. Anyone have anything for the Arizona Wildcats? I've seen old pictures and the like, but never quality reproductions.

I do...I'll post some later on...

Any Ohio State? I only saw one in the thread.

Here's a different one from the one previously shown. Lots of shadow effect...

Buckeye.jpg

Four more:

Michigan State Spartans (Old, mean Sparty):

Sparty.jpg

Purdue Boilermakers (not sure this one was shown yet):

Purdue.jpg

James Madison Dukes:

JMU.jpg

UNC-Wilmington Seahawks (sort of like Popeye as a bird):

UNCW.jpg

It is what it is.

Michigan State Spartans (Old, mean Sparty):

Sparty.jpg

I've seen this logo around a lot used by smaller colleges and high schools. I know that Illinois Wesleyan uses this as their primary (and they wear the motion W on their helmets.)

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Does anyone have a good, large, clear copy of Texas Tech's old masked rider logo? If so, post it please.

These old logos are fun to see.

Which one are you referring to?

Archived