Vintage College Mascot Logos

hettinger_rl

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this has been posted but here is a little information about the guy who designed a great percentage of these classic Mascots.

http://www.oxy.edu/m...e-personalities

If anyone wants a better image let me know I can scan it in. Also if anyone has any of these old pennants for sale let me know!

28c16d168b7c557f9c858f1b406eb36725f2b1c9.jpg

St. Benedict's? Never heard of them. Couldn't find anything about hem on the web, either. Is that a blackbird, or a crow?

It is what it is.

Not sure if this has been posted but here is a little information about the guy who designed a great percentage of these classic Mascots.

If anyone wants a better image let me know I can scan it in. Also if anyone has any of these old pennants for sale let me know!

St. Benedict's? Never heard of them. Couldn't find anything about hem on the web, either. Is that a blackbird, or a crow?

They are now Benedictine College its located in Kansas. Their mascot is a raven, their mascot was designed by Arthur Evans.

For some reason the link you provided doesn't show anything but ther Oxidental Tiger logo, what others are displayed?

p4Ut2be.png

Arkansas State's "Jumpin' Joe:"

1024.jpg?md=1361559699000

Weird that that version doesn't have his scalp. Here's a far less clear version with it.

asujumpingjoe.jpg

Also, the follow-up logo Running Joe

runninjoe.jpg

And then, Letterhead Joe

asuletterhead.gif

Jumping Joe was on Arkansas State's helmets back in the 70s before Lacewell switched to black helmets with the block stAte logo which stuck until a brief spell with the Letterhead Joe logo in the mid-90s and then back to the block stAte logo in 06 I believe.

For some reason the link you provided doesn't show anything but ther Oxidental Tiger logo, what others are displayed?

Not sure why it didnt work, just do a google search for "multiple personalities oxy"

They are now Benedictine College its located in Kansas. Their mascot is a raven, their mascot was designed by Arthur Evans.

The article posted above listed some of the logos Arthur Evans did, but does anybody have a list of more of the schools he did? Did he do all of the ones on those pennants?

"A 1963 trade ad for Angelus shows more than 100 mascots, a Who’s Who of Division I giants that includes the Duke Blue Devil, the Purdue Boilermaker, USC’s Tommy Trojan, Oregon State’s Benny Beaver, the Georgia Bulldog, the Oklahoma Aggies, and many more."

St. Benedict's Ravens was a powerhouse in football in the Midwest (Kansas-Missouri-Oklahoma) A catholic college in Atchison, Kansas. The monks ran the college and the local high school, Maur Hill Prep, who also used the Raven's logo, but used the name the "Junior Ravens" and were black & gold. How do I know this, because I am from Atchison and went to school at Maur Hill and attended Benedictine College in the early 80s'. St. Benedict's College was an all male college but merge with the all women's college in the mid-1970s and together formed Benedictine College. Here is the current logo, not to far off the original. My high schools till used the same logo from Arthur Evans. The Men's basketball team won the NAIA Basketball Championships in 1954 & 1967.

benedictine_ravensvintagelogo_zpsfbdd527BCRAVEN180_zps4f9c67ed.png

St. Benedict's College on left. Benedictine College on right.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

The article posted above listed some of the logos Arthur Evans did, but does anybody have a list of more of the schools he did? Did he do all of the ones on those pennants?

"A 1963 trade ad for Angelus shows more than 100 mascots, a Who’s Who of Division I giants that includes the Duke Blue Devil, the Purdue Boilermaker, USC’s Tommy Trojan, Oregon State’s Benny Beaver, the Georgia Bulldog, the Oklahoma Aggies, and many more."

I was told he did St Bendicts, Auburn, Syracuse, MSU and Creighton by the guy who wrote the article. Im guessing he also did the Rice, California, SMU, and Maine ones too.

I dont have a list, but it might be easier to get the list of mascots he DIDNT make, as he is responsible for 90 percent of them!

Im getting 30 vintage stickers from the company he worked for, i can post some pictures if anybody wants to see them.

I was told he did St Bendicts, Auburn, Syracuse, MSU and Creighton by the guy who wrote the article. Im guessing he also did the Rice, California, SMU, and Maine ones too.

I dont have a list, but it might be easier to get the list of mascots he DIDNT make, as he is responsible for 90 percent of them!

Im getting 30 vintage stickers from the company he worked for, i can post some pictures if anybody wants to see them.

That's pretty cool. I wish Evans would get more credit for his contributions to college branding. I bet many athletic departments have no idea that they have or have had a logo that was designed by him.

Archived