Vintage College Mascot Logos

hettinger_rl

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I've never been able to find evidence that this is anything but a recent Nike "fauxback" within the last 5 or so years. I've done a ton of research on old Penn State marks dating back to the 19th century and have never found anything resembling this.

Apparently Penn State used this logo at one point. I've never once seen it used in any sort of application. No pictures, no shirts (until now), nothing. I only noticed it because we had one of those Heritage Banners hanging up in a dining hall, so I'd assume the school wouldn't hang it up if it wasn't our logo at some point, but who knows

42-33664-Y.jpg

I saw another one in the same place but failed to get a picture, I'll get one tomorrow when I pass by.

• 4 weeks later...

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I've never been able to find evidence that this is anything but a recent Nike "fauxback" within the last 5 or so years. I've done a ton of research on old Penn State marks dating back to the 19th century and have never found anything resembling this.

42-33664-Y.jpg

We recreated this one at CLC a few years ago. We pulled a lot of the old marks we created from the Vault books by Whitman Publishing. This is one of those marks. You'll find it somewhere in this book. Nike had nothing to do with it.

name='ConfundoPerNovitas' timestamp='1375155826' post='2053334']

From San Jacinto College Ravens decal

SanJacinto_Ravens_zps9eec83e2.png

I have this decal which is from the 1960s. I used to teach at San Jac (Pasadena, Texas).

FsQiF2W.png

Is the red bear Cornell?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

IIRC Cornell had a similar angry bear look, but with a full body instead and without a sailor's cap

Is the red bear Cornell?

It's an "enhanced" version of the CIncy Bearcat (didn't have a great image for that so this is not an exact version of that logo). I haven't found Cornell University using a bear design like this. For that mater, I haven't found Cornell College using a Angelus Ram design either.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Archived