Vintage College Mascot Logos

hettinger_rl

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not surprising. I grew up in the South Bay, and we had several family friends who were Stanford grads. They never considered Stanford the Cardinal. As far as they are concerned, they were still the Indians, and would always refer to them as such. When you go to Stanford games, a lot of the grads still don their Indians gear.

I can almost understand it when it's someone who actually attended the school before the switch do that; but being from Milwaukee, I'm familiar with guys who were in diapers the last time Marquette was known as the Warriors, but still insist on calling them as such. Of course, it never seems to happen unless the previous mascot was a non-caucasian caricature... no one ever refers to my school (UWM) as the Gulls, even though it's a much better nickname than Panthers.

Not surprising. I grew up in the South Bay, and we had several family friends who were Stanford grads. They never considered Stanford the Cardinal. As far as they are concerned, they were still the Indians, and would always refer to them as such. When you go to Stanford games, a lot of the grads still don their Indians gear.

I can almost understand it when it's someone who actually attended the school before the switch do that; but being from Milwaukee, I'm familiar with guys who were in diapers the last time Marquette was known as the Warriors, but still insist on calling them as such. Of course, it never seems to happen unless the previous mascot was a non-caucasian caricature... no one ever refers to my school (UWM) as the Gulls, even though it's a much better nickname than Panthers.

YH and I both did graduate work at Oklahoma City University (he Law, me MBA)... neither of us refer to OCU as the Stars, but as the Chiefs.

The old Stanford Indian logo has made inroads with some students as well. New T-shirts, caps and sweats featuring him have popped up here and there. You can find some on eBay from time to time.

Stephen F. Austin Lumberjack:

1024.jpg?md=1361243718000

Marquette Warrior:

1024.jpg?md=1361338812000

FsQiF2W.png

FWIW, I do think MU ditching the Warriors name was more than was necessary, but stuffing Golden Eagles down their students and alums throats when they had not one, but TWO historical (Hilltoppers and Golden Avalanche) options that would've made better nicknames just made it much worse than it ever had to be. Either one would've not only been more unique, but would've had the added bonus of shutting down any cries of "But... But... TRADITION!"

Of course, making confusing and short-sighted decisions when it comes to athletic identity has sort of always been Marquette's thing... not that my school is much better. :D

I have never seen that SFA mark before. Even though its a copy of A&M's ol sarge mark, it wouldn't look bad if they hadn't copied over the T too. The T makes no sense for a school who's initials are SFASU

I'd say the "T" makes some sense, but I agree that they should not use it. Maybe a state outline.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1024.jpg?md=1361243718000

I have never seen that SFA mark before. Even though its a copy of A&M's ol sarge mark, it wouldn't look bad if they hadn't copied over the T too. The T makes no sense for a school who's initials are SFASU

I'd say the "T" makes some sense, but I agree that they should not use it. Maybe a state outline.

Almost every college/university in Texas used a logo with a mascot in front of a T.

There was a time when that SFA logo was everywhere. I think that lumberjack is still prominantly displayed at Homer Bryce Stadium.

And so he is:

1024.jpg?md=1361386992000

FsQiF2W.png

There are some good ones on Logoserver. Non are good quality, but they have NCAA, NAIA, and NJCAA.

You're right. It's a good source but often poor quality. Logoshak is also a good source and has logos that were originally posted on threads here. Several of my rehabbed logos have popped up on Logoshak, which is fine by me

FsQiF2W.png

Archived